Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What useful thing does BAKING SODA actually do in home repair?

I keep hearing people suggest "baking soda", which is, as you know, simply
sodium bicarbonate which you can get a five-pound bag of for about five
bucks or so at Costco.

My question is more toward figuring out WHY I see baking soda mentioned as
a panacea for almost everything from baby rash to automotive leak repair.

I've had my five pound bag for YEARs, where it will likely last me the rest
of my natural life.

What can you DO with it if you don't own a pool?

Sure, you can use it in cooking, but this question is about home repair.

On another thread, someone said he was going to try "baking soda" to clean
a toilet bowl, where I have to ask what on earth is baking soda going to
do?

OK. SO it's a bit abrasive, but if that's all you want out of it, sugar
would do as well, wouldn't it?

What baking soda is, is an alkaline (that is, not acid) bicarbonate, that
is, it's "hard water" in dry form (sort of).

Other than the abrasive quality (which has nothing to do with the chemical
action), what USEFUL things around the home (other than cooking) can baking
soda do?

My question is more toward figuring out WHY I see baking soda mentioned as
a panacea for almost everything from baby rash to automotive leak repair.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2018 03:24 PM, arlen michael holder wrote:
My question is more toward figuring out WHY I see baking soda mentioned as
a panacea for almost everything from baby rash to automotive leak repair.

It is a deodorizer.

http://bestcarpetcleanerreview.net/h...t-really-work/

There are Glade makes some carpet powders with a fragrance but I find
the fragrance cloying so straight baking soda is better. The Arm &
Hammer 1 lb. boxes suggest opening it and putting it in the refrigerator
to deal with food odors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 19:01:13 -0700, rbowman wrote:

It is a deodorizer.

http://bestcarpetcleanerreview.net/h...t-really-work/

There are Glade makes some carpet powders with a fragrance but I find
the fragrance cloying so straight baking soda is better. The Arm &
Hammer 1 lb. boxes suggest opening it and putting it in the refrigerator
to deal with food odors.

Long ago I looked up the chemistry for how it "deodorizes".
I don't think it actually deodorizes.
People open the box and stick it in the frig, right?

Guess what.
Opening the door for the fifteen seconds it takes to remove milk moves more
air than could fit in that box, right?

a. I don't (yet) see how it can possibly deodorize, and,
b. Even if it could, the surface area is too small to do anything useful.

It's sort of like saying Listerine kills millions of germs on contact.
Guess what? Spitting just once gets rid of just as many germs.
And spitting is free. And doesn't change the taste in your mouth.

If anyone can EXPLAIN how sodium bicarbonate "removes odors", that will be
a feat.

Too many people, IMHO, believe stuff, IMHO, without thinking about it.
I'm not blaming you as no good deed goes unpunished, so I realize you
hazarded a guess ... but I've never been able to figure out HOW a 2x4 inch
surface area of a carbonate can "deodorize" a 20 cubic foot refrigerator.

How? What's the chemistry?
This thread is about chemistry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 02:31:11 -0000 (UTC), arlen michael holder wrote:

If anyone can EXPLAIN how sodium bicarbonate "removes odors", that will be
a feat.

I just looked at the wikipedia, which, admittedly isn't a chemistry
reference, but it's a start ... where ... it doesn't even list deoderizing
as one of the many (miracle?) things it's supposed to do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate

A search for "odor" shows it is used as a deoderant (which is completely
different), and to remove odors from books (again, different), but only one
"real" reference for oder removal (reference #65)

[65] Raymond, Jessica (June 10, 2016). "Kitchen Odor Eliminating Candles,
Products, and Tricks". cravedujour.com.
http://cravedujour.com/kitchen-odor-eliminating-candles-products-tricks/#xxTICWbUEW5oLJeh.99

Of course, like most things on the net, the action is "imaginary" or
"magical", in that "it just happens", without any explanation of how.

This hit explains a bit more...
https://www.quora.com/How-does-baking-soda-function-as-a-deodorizer
"Baking soda reacts with most of the acids (e.g., formic, butyric,
propionic, oxygen-cleaved beta-unsaturated free fatty acids) that have a
characteristic rancid or sour odor, sequestering them in a much less
volatile basic salt form while releasing odorless carbon dioxide."

That had three references:
https://oconto.uwex.edu/files/2011/02/Baking-Soda.pdf
https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/4465/how-does-sodium-bicarbonate-act-as-a-deodorizing-agent
https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/4451/deodorizing-using-baking-powder-instead-of-baking-soda

"Baking soda is an effective deodorant because of its basicity. Many
foul-smelling compounds are acidic. Neutralizing the compound gives it an
ionic character which reduces the vapor pressure (meaning it is less
available for the nose to smell it) and makes it much more water soluble
(it can be washed away)."

Notice that, if this is correct, ANY alkaline powder would work as well.

Worse, notice the counter argument posed in those references:
"But when you take a look the Wikipedia page on aroma compounds, the only
compounds that could possibly be affected by a weakly basic substance are
esters (which would undergo hydrolysis). Most of the compounds are
polyunsaturated aldehydes, ketones and alcohols which are not affected by
(weak) bases. "

(There was talk in those articles about armpit odor, which I've studied
extensively, and where I can say the problem set is completely different
because of the complex nature of the human body - so we're only asking here
about chemical smells and not biological smells).

The summary, so far, AFAICT, is
o It doesn't really work, not the least of why is you can't spread it out
o But if it did work it would only work on a small variety of acidic odors
o And, even so, ANY weakly basic compound would work as well

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 11/16/2018 03:24 PM, arlen michael holder wrote:
My question is more toward figuring out WHY I see baking soda mentioned as
a panacea for almost everything from baby rash to automotive leak repair.

It is a deodorizer.

http://bestcarpetcleanerreview.net/h...t-really-work/

There are Glade makes some carpet powders with a fragrance but I find
the fragrance cloying so straight baking soda is better. The Arm &
Hammer 1 lb. boxes suggest opening it and putting it in the refrigerator
to deal with food odors.

I did have luck using it to deodorize a rug. (Dog puke, dog **** etc,
puppies are a bitch)
I pressure cleaned the rug, hung it the sun for a few days with no
real joy, then I broomed in a pound or so of baking soda. let it sit
in the sun all day and vacuumed it out real well. It was as good as
new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2018 07:31 PM, arlen michael holder wrote:
How? What's the chemistry?
This thread is about chemistry.

Sodium bicarbonate is amphoteric. In a refrigerator odors from lactic or
acetic acid can be neutralized as well as ammonia based odors. Consider
one of the fouler smelling substances, butyric acid. The reaction yields
sodium butyrate which isn't volatile.

I'll agree the box in the refrigerator seems suspect. If my refrigerator
stunk, I'd go for more surface area. otoh, when used on a carpet, you
spread it out, broom it in, and vacuum it up sometime later. I'll let
you determine the chemical reactions involved with decomposing urea
after the cat ****es in the rug.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2018 08:01 PM, arlen michael holder wrote:
Notice that, if this is correct, ANY alkaline powder would work as well.

Most would not be amphoteric substances.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's great.

Not baking soda but a similar story. The steam radiator was dripping
and instead of telling me so I'd call the landlord, my obnoxious
roommate took MY thermal blanket from the closet and just used it to
soak up the water. I only learned this after I kicked him out. I took
up the blanket, saw the water=damaged parquet floor because the blanket
made more wood wet than would have been, and the mildew smell from the
blanket was terrible. Took it to a laundramat and washed it and it
smelled just as bad. Put it in a dryer until dry, or maybe a little
longer, dont' remember, and it smelled good as new, and it never smelled
bad again. Sunlight has big advantages and is free but I lived in an
apartment and had no yard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 21:45:45 -0700, rbowman wrote:

Sodium bicarbonate is amphoteric. In a refrigerator odors from lactic or
acetic acid can be neutralized as well as ammonia based odors. Consider
one of the fouler smelling substances, butyric acid. The reaction yields
sodium butyrate which isn't volatile.

I had to look up "amphoteric", as my college chemistry is decades old.
Googling, I don't see any evidence (yet) that baking soda is amphoteric.
That is, it seems to be only alkaline, and not react with bases.

I'll agree the box in the refrigerator seems suspect. If my refrigerator
stunk, I'd go for more surface area. otoh, when used on a carpet, you
spread it out, broom it in, and vacuum it up sometime later. I'll let
you determine the chemical reactions involved with decomposing urea
after the cat ****es in the rug.

Yup. Only an experiment will tell us for sure, but it seems that we need
surface area since baking soda, in those yellow boxes, is effectively a
solid with a surface area of, oh, about the edge of a two by four, right?

Is that enough surface area? Dunno. I suspect not.
Sprinkled on carpet is a totally different story as that's _all_ surface
area!

I don't know the composition of urine. Looking it up... it seems to be
mostly urea, uric acid, sodium, potassium, creatinine, and water.
https://www.atrianglelegacy.com/brea...-odor-removal/

It seems to also emanate ammonia though...
https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/...tainless-steel

Looking further afield, I found this
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ll-rancid.html

I don't think the Daily Mail is all that great of a reference, but what it
says is this:
"Cat urine gets its unique smell from a compound called felinine."

So if that's true, that's the chemical we want the baking soda to
neutralize the odor of.

It also says where the ammonia comes from:
"Bacteria in cat faeces typically converts uric acid into ammonia, which
gives the urine its smell. "

They recommend "Fullers Earth", which, I have to look up...
"Fuller's Earth absorbs water from the urine that reacts with the ammonia
to create a series of other acids."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuller%27s_earth
"Fuller's earth is any clay material that has the capability to decolorize
oil or other liquids without chemical treatment.[1][2] Fuller's earth
typically consists of palygorskite (attapulgite) or bentonite.[1]"

It seems to be well driller's clay, mostly made from volcanic ash, and it
doesn't seem to have any baking soda in it.

Seems to me, a box of fuller's earth might work better in the frig to
control odors than a box of baking soda (depending on the odor, of course).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 21:47:22 -0700, rbowman wrote:

Notice that, if this is correct, ANY alkaline powder would work as well.

Most would not be amphoteric substances.

I took organic, but it was in the 60s, so, I need to look that up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphoterism
"In chemistry, an amphoteric compound is a molecule or ion
that can react both as an acid and as a base."

My chemistry is rusty, where I remember in the previous post that baking
soda was pretty bad at being an acid, so it's not really amphoteric, most
likely (I think).

Certainly the baking soda compound is NOT mentioned in that Wikipedia
article on Amphoteric Substances. A bit more googling shows it's likely
not amphoteric.

Anyway, even if it was, it's still gotta have more surface area than what
is typically found in an open box stuck in the refrigerator. I would think
you'd have to wipe it as a paste on every surface to have enough surface
area to do anything to those odors that it "can" react with to turn into
salts (and, of those, there are extremely few, it seems).

I'll keep looking though, as I just care about the answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

arlen michael holder wrote

I keep hearing people suggest "baking soda", which is, as you know, simply
sodium bicarbonate which you can get a five-pound bag of for about five
bucks or so at Costco.

My question is more toward figuring out WHY I see baking soda mentioned
as a panacea for almost everything from baby rash to automotive leak
repair.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that’s saying something.

I've had my five pound bag for YEARs, where
it will likely last me the rest of my natural life.

All the evidence suggests that you have a very unnatural 'life'

What can you DO with it if you don't own a pool?

Sure, you can use it in cooking, but this question is about home repair.

Use it to neutralise acids.

On another thread, someone said he was going to try "baking soda" to clean
a toilet bowl, where I have to ask what on earth is baking soda going to
do?

It’s a viable abrasive that is easy to get rid of once you have used it for
that.

OK. SO it's a bit abrasive, but if that's all you want out of it, sugar
would do as well, wouldn't it?

Nope, not as abrasive and baking soda is easier get rid of once you are
finished abrading.

What baking soda is, is an alkaline (that is, not acid)
bicarbonate, that is, it's "hard water" in dry form (sort of).

Utterly mangled all over again.

Other than the abrasive quality (which has nothing to
do with the chemical action), what USEFUL things around
the home (other than cooking) can baking soda do?

Anywhere you need a milder safe alkali.

My question is more toward figuring out WHY I see baking soda mentioned
as a panacea for almost everything from baby rash to automotive leak
repair.

It isnt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 20:03:54 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that¢s saying something.

An even sillier troll from you than you usually manage, senile Rot, and
that's saying something!

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

"arlen michael holder" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 19:01:13 -0700, rbowman wrote:

It is a deodorizer.

http://bestcarpetcleanerreview.net/h...t-really-work/

There are Glade makes some carpet powders with a fragrance but I find
the fragrance cloying so straight baking soda is better. The Arm &
Hammer 1 lb. boxes suggest opening it and putting it in the refrigerator
to deal with food odors.

Long ago I looked up the chemistry for how it "deodorizes".
I don't think it actually deodorizes.

It does actually.

People open the box and stick it in the frig, right?

Guess what.
Opening the door for the fifteen seconds it takes to remove
milk moves more air than could fit in that box, right?

It isnt about the air moving.

a. I don't (yet) see how it can possibly deodorize, and,

It does anyway.

b. Even if it could, the surface area is too small to do anything useful.

Wrong when it absorbs the smells.

It's sort of like saying Listerine kills millions of germs on contact.

Nothing like in fact.

Guess what? Spitting just once gets rid of just as many germs.
And spitting is free. And doesn't change the taste in your mouth.

If anyone can EXPLAIN how sodium bicarbonate
"removes odors", that will be a feat.

Wrong.

Too many people, IMHO, believe stuff, IMHO, without thinking about it.

Some like you don’t have anything viable to think with.

I'm not blaming you as no good deed goes unpunished, so I realize you
hazarded a guess ... but I've never been able to figure out HOW a 2x4 inch
surface area of a carbonate can "deodorize" a 20 cubic foot refrigerator.

Yes, you are that stupid.

How? What's the chemistry?

The smells get chemically destroyed. They are just
organics, albeit smelly ones, which get absorbed
and changed by that alkali.

Try getting something smelly like one of the
smelly cheeses, put it in a container with some
baking soda and see what it does to the smell.

This thread is about chemistry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

But baking soda is very readily available, most homes have it
and its cheap and safe to use around the house so its hardly
surprising that you do see it recommended for deodorising.

Worse, notice the counter argument posed in those references:
"But when you take a look the Wikipedia page on aroma compounds, the only
compounds that could possibly be affected by a weakly basic substance are
esters (which would undergo hydrolysis). Most of the compounds are
polyunsaturated aldehydes, ketones and alcohols which are not affected by
(weak) bases. "

But its completely trivial to try baking soda with something
smelly and see if it works. Tad radical, I realise.

(There was talk in those articles about armpit odor, which I've studied
extensively, and where I can say the problem set is completely different
because of the complex nature of the human body - so we're only asking
here
about chemical smells and not biological smells).

Even sillier than you usually manage. There is no difference with
the smells most want to get rid of from their fridge or kitchen.

The summary, so far, AFAICT, is
o It doesn't really work,

Corse it does and its trivial to prove that.

not the least of why is you can't spread it out

Don’t need to if it absorbs the smell.

o But if it did work it would only work on a small variety of acidic odors

You havent established that only a small variety of smells are acidic.

o And, even so, ANY weakly basic compound would work as well

But it’s the most readily available, stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 05:41:47 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

But baking soda is very readily available, most homes have it
and its cheap and safe to use around the house so its hardly
surprising that you do see it recommended for deodorising.

Hi Rod Speed,
This is true that baking soda is cheap & readily available.

But its completely trivial to try baking soda with something
smelly and see if it works. Tad radical, I realise.

As I said, I have a five pound Costco bag of the stuff.
I've had it for YEARS.

There's even an open tray of it my wife put in the frig to control odors.
It does nothing (AFAICT) but take up room best left for food!

But don't tell my wife that. (She doesn't understand chemistry.)

Even sillier than you usually manage. There is no difference with
the smells most want to get rid of from their fridge or kitchen.

Why is US deodorant legally quite different than US anti-perspirant then?

o But if it did work it would only work on a small variety of acidic odors

You havent established that only a small variety of smells are acidic.

Rod Speed ...

I provided chemistry-related references backing up EVERYTHING I said.
Everything.

There's nothing I said that isn't backed up by the chemistry references.
Where do your counter claims come from, Rod Speed?

o And, even so, ANY weakly basic compound would work as well

But it¢s the most readily available, stupid.

It's interesting that the moment you find that your imaginary belief system
is threatened by facts, you resort to childish ad hominem attacks.

I don't mind you having a counter opinion, but when you counter referenced
facts with merely your counter opinion (interspersed with insults), then I
realize that you must feel threatened by the facts.

I'm sorry you may feel that your belief system is threatened by facts.
But they're still facts.

You're welcome to a counter argument, based on facts, but where are your
facts, Rod Speed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 05:33:58 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

Yes, you are that stupid.

Hi Rod Speed,
This is my last post to you in this thread.

You and I go way back, where I've helped you (e.g., setting up your Wi-Fi)
and where I don't resort to insults simply when my belief system is
threatened by facts.

When my belief system is threatened by facts, then I simply change my
belief system.

For example, I always thought that hot water freezes slower than warm
water, but then there's the Mpemba effect, and then again, maybe it doesn't
exist (nobody really seems to know, for sure).

And yet, there it is in my old Physics Books from the sixties.
Hot water freezes faster than does lukewarm water (but not cold water).

There are a _lot_ of things that people believe, even very smart people
(e.g., "God does not play dice with the universe" and "I prefer to think
the moon is still there when I'm not looking"), that are wrong.

I am beholden to facts.
If your only counter to facts are insults, then this conversation is over.

--
Usenet is a cheerful willingly provided sharing of golden nuggets of fact
among your 1000 closest friends.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 05:33:58 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH more of the senile pest's pathological auto-contradicting

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Deodorant stops the odour, anti perspirant stops
you perspiring which with some people stinks.

o But if it did work it would only work on a small variety of acidic
odors

You havent established that only a small variety of smells are acidic.

Rod Speed ...

I provided chemistry-related references backing up EVERYTHING I said.
Everything.

You didn’t with that.

There's nothing I said that isn't backed up by the chemistry references.

That one wasn’t.

Where do your counter claims come from, Rod Speed?

That isnt a counter claim, it’s a statement of fact.

o And, even so, ANY weakly basic compound would work as well

But it¢s the most readily available, stupid.

It's interesting that the moment you find that your
imaginary belief system is threatened by facts,

Didn’t happen there, you pathetic excuse for a bull**** artist.

you resort to childish ad hominem attacks.

That is a statement of fact.

I don't mind you having a counter opinion,
but when you counter referenced facts

That isnt a fact and there was no reference either.

with merely your counter opinion

That isnt an opinion, it’s a statement of fact.

(interspersed with insults),

That isnt an insult its another fact, you are very stupid.

then I realize that you must feel threatened by the facts.

There is no fact there to be threatened by.

I'm sorry you may feel that your belief system is threatened by facts.
But they're still facts.

That isnt a fact, its just another of your pathetic excuses for a troll.

You're welcome to a counter argument, based on facts, but where are your
facts, Rod Speed?

You deleted them, you pathetic excuse for a bull**** artist/troll.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"arlen michael holder" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 05:33:58 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

Yes, you are that stupid.

Hi Rod Speed,
This is my last post to you in this thread.

Great, there is only so much of your pathetic excuse
for a trolling that anyone should have to put up with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 05:41:47 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

o And, even so, ANY weakly basic compound would work as well

But it¢s the most readily available, stupid.

Is this STILL about your stupid baking soda, stupid Ozzie asshole? LOL

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 07:20:11 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

That isnt an insult its another fact, you are very stupid.

then I realize that you must feel threatened by the facts.

There is no fact there to be threatened by.

I'm sorry you may feel that your belief system is threatened by facts.
But they're still facts.

That isnt a fact, its just another of your pathetic excuses for a troll.

You're welcome to a counter argument, based on facts, but where are your
facts, Rod Speed?

You deleted them, you pathetic excuse for a bull**** artist/troll.

Lost yet another argument, senile Ozzie troll? It SHOWS! LOL

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 07:30:20 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Hi Rod Speed,
This is my last post to you in this thread.

Great, there is only so much of your pathetic excuse
for a trolling that anyone should have to put up with.

Always the same old story with you, eh, senile Rot? EG

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID: