Posted to alt.home.repair
arlen michael holder arlen michael holder is offline

Default What useful thing does BAKING SODA actually do in home repair?

I keep hearing people suggest "baking soda", which is, as you know, simply
sodium bicarbonate which you can get a five-pound bag of for about five
bucks or so at Costco.

My question is more toward figuring out WHY I see baking soda mentioned as
a panacea for almost everything from baby rash to automotive leak repair.

I've had my five pound bag for YEARs, where it will likely last me the rest
of my natural life.

What can you DO with it if you don't own a pool?

Sure, you can use it in cooking, but this question is about home repair.

On another thread, someone said he was going to try "baking soda" to clean
a toilet bowl, where I have to ask what on earth is baking soda going to
do?

OK. SO it's a bit abrasive, but if that's all you want out of it, sugar
would do as well, wouldn't it?

What baking soda is, is an alkaline (that is, not acid) bicarbonate, that
is, it's "hard water" in dry form (sort of).

Other than the abrasive quality (which has nothing to do with the chemical
action), what USEFUL things around the home (other than cooking) can baking
soda do?