Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Nail holes showing up

I have VG fir trim all over my house. It was installed pre-finished. 6 years
later the nail holes that were filled with putty are showing up really
prominently. If I do a light sand a put a coat of Spar Varnish on the trim,
will the nail holes disappear and blend in again?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...p-1179125-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 8:14:08 AM UTC-4, Lake house lady wrote:
I have VG fir trim all over my house. It was installed pre-finished. 6 years
later the nail holes that were filled with putty are showing up really
prominently. If I do a light sand a put a coat of Spar Varnish on the trim,
will the nail holes disappear and blend in again?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...p-1179125-.htm

Depends on why they are showing up. Is it just color matching or are they
somehow raising up? If it's color matching, I doubt just sanding and putting
another coat of clear on top will fix it. Clear is clear. You might find
some stain that hides them better and apply that with a tiny brush or similar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2018 7:14 AM, Lake house lady wrote:
I have VG fir trim all over my house.Â* It was installed pre-finished.Â* 6
years
later the nail holes that were filled with putty are showing up really
prominently.Â* If I do a light sand a put a coat of Spar Varnish on the
trim, will the nail holes disappear and blend in again?

Maybe, maybe not...

Fillers of any type rarely, if ever, will fade same way as the other
material.

If the effect is only on the surface you might get it back close(r)
again that way, if the filler has color-shifted to some depth, then it
won't. We have no way to know what was used nor how it has aged from
which to guess.

As another said, you may be able to touch up again if they're now
lighter, that'll be somewhat harder to manage if they're darker than the
surrounding wood surface.

You'll just have to pick a not-too-prominent area and do some
experimenting to see what might be the result...