Don Wiss

Default Putty over nail head holes?

I had new windows installed on my row house. Being landmarked the window
frames had to be wood. I hired a fellow to paint them. He did not fill the
nail head holes with putty. Half way through the job I asked him about it,
and he replied that he didn't have any putty. Besides seeing the white dots
where the nails are, is there any wood preservation reason that they should
have been filled?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Joseph Meehan

Don Wiss wrote:
I had new windows installed on my row house. Being landmarked the
window frames had to be wood. I hired a fellow to paint them. He did
not fill the nail head holes with putty. Half way through the job I
asked him about it, and he replied that he didn't have any putty.

Gee, I can't think of a better reason to do a second rate job than that.

Besides seeing the white dots where the nails are, is there any wood
preservation reason that they should have been filled?

Frankly I am not sure if not filling them would do any damage, but I
would not be surprised if it did, but I would have wanted it done. I
suggest filling them and then spotting them with a dab of paint. I would
expect the painter to do it.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

George E. Cawthon

Don Wiss wrote:
I had new windows installed on my row house. Being landmarked the window
frames had to be wood. I hired a fellow to paint them. He did not fill the
nail head holes with putty. Half way through the job I asked him about it,
and he replied that he didn't have any putty. Besides seeing the white dots
where the nails are, is there any wood preservation reason that they should
have been filled?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

He didn't putty the nailheads because you didn't
include that prep work in the paint contract. No
you don't need to putty the nail heads (assuming
the installers used the right kind of nails) since
putty is just cosmetic. Others may argue that
you need putty for weathering, but that isn't true
if you have a good paint job. Why don't you do it
yourself and then put a dab of the paint over the
putty?

Accurate Holes in Concrete? (Slightly Bogus Metal Content) Doug White Metalworking 12 August 28th 04 06:20 PM
Adjusting audio head on Pana NV-9100 U-Matic Wild Bill Electronics Repair 0 June 12th 04 01:41 AM
Grooveless shower head pipe? Robert Schultz Home Repair 3 January 3rd 04 04:40 AM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM
Foundation holes jim Home Repair 0 August 14th 03 04:10 PM