Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using concrete color to tint interior latex paint?

Landlord gave me 10 gallons of a light, neutral, boring latex paint & said I
could paint inside of our house with whatever color I wanted, using that
paint. So, I want a nice taupe color, which I can achieve with raw umber, but
can't seem to find a local store that carries pigment for such an application.
I did try the most concentrated acrylic artist paint from Michaels and it
darkened 3 gallons, but only slightly, which would end up far too expensive to
be worth it. So, I see there are products to color concrete and Lowe's
supposedly carries them, but I do not ask Lowe's employees anything about
anything, and I want to know if it sounds like a sensible idea to add concrete
powder to latex paint to tint it. Thanks for reading and commenting with any
advice you pros might have...

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1110216-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2018 10:44 PM, Brandy Morano wrote:
[...]

Take the paint back to wherever your cheapass landlord bought it and
have it tinted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 02:44:02 GMT, Brandy Morano
m wrote:

Landlord gave me 10 gallons of a light, neutral, boring latex paint & said I
could paint inside of our house with whatever color I wanted, using that
paint. So, I want a nice taupe color, which I can achieve with raw umber, but
can't seem to find a local store that carries pigment for such an application.
I did try the most concentrated acrylic artist paint from Michaels and it
darkened 3 gallons, but only slightly, which would end up far too expensive to
be worth it. So, I see there are products to color concrete and Lowe's
supposedly carries them, but I do not ask Lowe's employees anything about
anything, and I want to know if it sounds like a sensible idea to add concrete
powder to latex paint to tint it. Thanks for reading and commenting with any
advice you pros might have...

Just try it on the remaining 7 gallons and see how it works ..
we'll wait here for your report.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 25, 2018 at 6:24:12 AM UTC-4, Michael Angelo wrote:
[...]

That's a good idea if it's a real paint store. Not sure if it's HomeDepot, etc.
The problem is that they know how to make base into a tinted color, the
machine does it. Taking an existing color and fiddling with it, that's
another story. I've had a good paint store guy hand match colors for me,
but you have to have the years of experience and be willing to take the time.
He certainly could go ask though.

Years ago, HD sold paint tint in tubes. As I recall, I think they stopped
selling it, but not sure. A real paint store may have it though. Also,
Ebay? The question is knowing exactly what colors need to be added to
what is there to get a color that's OK.