Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attic roofAttic roof inflation and ventilation without a soffit.

I want to finish a small room in my attic that is 1/2 the length of the home.
There are no soffits built into the house. Inside the attic and just about
10€ in from where the 12 on 12 roof meets the floor/outside walls there is a
tiny 4€ vertical board between roof joists and is sealed in place. Thee or
no noted vents here. There is a peak vent. I dont want a height R factor in
the roof. Im leaving some of the 6€ joists exposed for the sake of having
the €œbeam€ decoration. The home is 118 years old. The singles are new and
there is solar power on the roof. All of the frame wood is true cut wood or
full size. The joists are 2x6. Do I have to ventilate this roof befor batting
and should I have a moisture barrier?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...o-1176377-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 4:14:06 PM UTC-4, Robert wrote:
I want to finish a small room in my attic that is 1/2 the length of the home.
There are no soffits built into the house.

What happens where the roof meets the sides of the house outside?

Inside the attic and just about
10€ in from where the 12 on 12 roof meets the floor/outside walls there is a
tiny 4€ vertical board between roof joists and is sealed in place.. Thee or
no noted vents here. There is a peak vent. I dont want a height R factor in
the roof.

Not sure what the means.

Im leaving some of the 6€ joists exposed for the sake of having
the €œbeam€ decoration.

I think you mean rafters. There should be vent baffles plus insulation.
6" doesn't leave much room. IDK how much headroom you have but you might
want to build out those rafter a couple inches so you can put more insulation
in, if possible.

The home is 118 years old. The singles are new and
there is solar power on the roof. All of the frame wood is true cut wood or
full size. The joists are 2x6. Do I have to ventilate this roof befor batting
and should I have a moisture barrier?

A ridge vent across the top will ventilate the top. It should have vents
down at the lower ends, where the soffits would be for air intake. If
that is impossible, then you may get away with just the ridge vent,
from the standpoint of venting moisture and preventing that problem,
but it will won't be optimal and will trap more heat. Also depends on
the climate. You need a moisture barrier, typically that would be by
using fiberglass batts with vapor barrier, VB side towards the interior.

You could look into using expanding foam insulation that they shoot in,
IDK what the venting reqts, if any, are for that. That might be an advantage
that it doesn't need venting.