Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Window A/C unit - drill holes in water pan ?

replying to Mark, James Riley wrote:
I'm in Colorado in a desert environment. A guest just complained about a
smell coming from the AC. I cleaned the filter. No joy. I found water in
the pan. Drilled two holes, one on either side of the coils in the bottom of
the pan. Water drained immediately. Put disinfectant/deodorizer in the pan
and all around. Smell stopped. Now, is my unit going to quit working or burn
up? Don't care about a higher electric bill as long as it doesn't smell and
it blows cold air. Thanks in advance for any comments.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...an-521719-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/18/2018 10:44 PM, James Riley wrote:
replying to Mark, James Riley wrote:
I'm in Colorado in a desert environment.Â* A guest just complained about a
smell coming from the AC.Â* I cleaned the filter.Â* No joy.Â* I found water in
the pan.Â* Drilled two holes, one on either side of the coils in the
bottom of
the pan.Â* Water drained immediately.Â* Put disinfectant/deodorizer in the
pan
and all around.Â* Smell stopped.Â* Now, is my unit going to quit working
or burn
up?Â* Don't care about a higher electric bill as long as it doesn't smell
and
it blows cold air.Â* Thanks in advance for any comments.

Should not cause a problem. The outside fan for the condenser is
supposed to sling the water on the coil to get rid of the water and help
cool the coil. The water is probably not flowing properly from a gunk
buildup inside. At least you did not hit the coil.