Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How To Sharpen a Hatchet

Got a hatchet that could stand some sharpening. Googling and YouTubing
shows most every conceivable way to do it.

Any real world advice from someone who's done it successfully?

--
Before beginning, plan carefully.
- Marcus Tullius Cicero
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2018 8:59 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got a hatchet that could stand some sharpening. Googling and YouTubing
shows most every conceivable way to do it.

Any real world advice from someone who's done it successfully?

My only experience is using a file. Couple of strokes on one side, then
equal strokes on the other. Never tried other methods but there are
probably better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 21:45:28 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/13/2018 8:59 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got a hatchet that could stand some sharpening. Googling and YouTubing
shows most every conceivable way to do it.

Any real world advice from someone who's done it successfully?

My only experience is using a file. Couple of strokes on one side, then
equal strokes on the other. Never tried other methods but there are
probably better.

Table top belt sander with a 400-600 grit belt or a wet stone wheel.
most bench grinders are to aggressive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2018 8:45 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/13/2018 8:59 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got a hatchet that could stand some sharpening. Googling and
YouTubing shows most every conceivable way to do it.

Any real world advice from someone who's done it successfully?

My only experience is using a file.Â* Couple of strokes on one side,
then equal strokes on the other.Â* Never tried other methods but there
are probably better.

I like to use a belt sander (on low speed , use the space between the
front roller and the platen to get a nice curve)to get the edge profiled
, then finish it off with a file followed by a soft Arkansas stone . I
like a fairly wide taper , seems to hold an edge better . I ain't tryin'
to shave with it ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 20:59:37 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

Got a hatchet that could stand some sharpening. Googling and YouTubing
shows most every conceivable way to do it.

Any real world advice from someone who's done it successfully?

Are you interested in showing-off your impressive "edge" ..
or using it as a chopping tool ?
ie : it isn't meant to be used as a shaving razor
nor as a filet knife ..
Use a fine file. Avoid grinder heat ..
Think lawn-mower blade more than hunting knife.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/18 8:59 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got a hatchet that could stand some sharpening. Googling and YouTubing
shows most every conceivable way to do it.

Any real world advice from someone who's done it successfully?

Thanks guys, I think I'll hit it with a file...

--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 12:52:52 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 8/13/18 8:59 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got a hatchet that could stand some sharpening. Googling and YouTubing
shows most every conceivable way to do it.

Any real world advice from someone who's done it successfully?

Thanks guys, I think I'll hit it with a file...

A metal file is what you might need. A course (medium course) and a
fine file.

Get an edge on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/13/18 8:59 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got a hatchet that could stand some sharpening. Googling and YouTubing
shows most every conceivable way to do it.

Any real world advice from someone who's done it successfully?

Thanks guys, I think I'll hit it with a file...

A metal file is what you might need. A course (medium course) and a
fine file.

Get an edge on it.

Do that with a belt sander and you will forget where you keep the
file. Same with a dremel and a chain saw chain.
Unless you are Amish, there is a better way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/15/2018 10:52 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 8/13/18 8:59 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got a hatchet that could stand some sharpening. Googling and YouTubing
shows most every conceivable way to do it.

Any real world advice from someone who's done it successfully?

Thanks guys, I think I'll hit it with a file...

https://www.garrettwade.com/universal-sharpener-gp.html

Just couldn't resist... Garrett Wade isn't cheap but they have quality
tools you're not going to find down at the TrueValue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 21:02:52 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 08/15/2018 10:52 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 8/13/18 8:59 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got a hatchet that could stand some sharpening. Googling and YouTubing
shows most every conceivable way to do it.

Any real world advice from someone who's done it successfully?

Thanks guys, I think I'll hit it with a file...

https://www.garrettwade.com/universal-sharpener-gp.html

Just couldn't resist... Garrett Wade isn't cheap but they have quality
tools you're not going to find down at the TrueValue.

Here's another carbide sharpener - replacable cutter & less money.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/pag...38&cat=1,43072

John T.

Want to make a hatchet for my son for Christmas jtpr Woodworking 2 December 2nd 14 09:11 PM
Milwaukee sawzall "The Hatchet" MiamiCuse Home Repair 8 October 16th 09 05:53 AM
Milwaukee sawzall "The Hatchet" MiamiCuse Home Repair 6 October 14th 09 03:18 PM
Shingling hatchet BillGill Home Repair 4 May 5th 08 04:16 AM
sharpen Woodruff cutters Cuezilla Metalworking 1 October 24th 03 03:40 AM