Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shingling hatchet

I am getting a new roof installed. Yesterday I watched them working for a while
and was surprised to see that some of the workers were using shingling hatchets.
I had just kind of assumed that they were no longer used, but obviously I am
wrong.

I know that shingling hatchets were originally used for wood shingle roofing.
Do they still use them for shake roofing? I had not really thought about it
but just figured that the shakes came precut or were cut with a saw nowdays.

Not a big deal, I was just curious.

For those who don't know what a shingling hatchet is:

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u371526

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

BillGill wrote:
I know that shingling hatchets were originally used for wood shingle
roofing.
Do they still use them for shake roofing? I had not really thought
about it
but just figured that the shakes came precut or were cut with a saw
nowdays.

Of course. Strictly speaking, "shakes" are split, not sawn altho some
are sawn one side, split face-side. Wooden shingles are sawn.

Still need to straighten edges, cut/shave to fit, etc., ...

Little more unusual to see them used these days w/ composition shingles
but may simply indicate an older crew as a guess.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 6:28*am, BillGill wrote:
I am getting a new roof installed. *Yesterday I watched them working for a while
and was surprised to see that some of the workers were using shingling hatchets.
I had just kind of assumed that they were no longer used, but obviously I am
wrong.

I know that shingling hatchets were originally used for wood shingle roofing.
Do they still use them for shake roofing? *I had not really thought about it
but just figured that the shakes came precut or were cut with a saw nowdays.

Not a big deal, I was just curious.

For those who don't know what a shingling hatchet is:

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u371526

Bill

I would be surprised to discover that they _weren't_ still being
used. Shakes still need trimming, even if machine cut, if only at the
end of rows and at roof penetrations.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2008 6:28 AM BillGill spake thus:

I am getting a new roof installed. Yesterday I watched them working
for a while and was surprised to see that some of the workers were
using shingling hatchets. I had just kind of assumed that they were
no longer used, but obviously I am wrong.

I know that shingling hatchets were originally used for wood shingle
roofing. Do they still use them for shake roofing? I had not really
thought about it but just figured that the shakes came precut or were
cut with a saw nowdays.

Not a big deal, I was just curious.

I still have my hatchet, which I haven't used in decades, but which I
bought when I was on a crew doing roofing with asphalt shingles. The
built in knife blade is very handy for trimming shingles without
reaching for another tool.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 6:48*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Odd. I had forgotten all about that. Yes, I borrowed one on my last
project (2 sheds and a garage). Didn't use the built in knife but the
built in gauge to set the exposure with is a fantastic time saver and
makes a much better job, faster.

Harry K