Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom ceiling toward the walls than in the middle

We recently re-tiled the shower surround in our guest bathroom. The bathroom
is a smaller bathroom, 5' deep and 8 feet long. Anyway while working on the
tile, I noticed that the ceiling seemed to be lower at each end of the
bathroom than it is in the middle. So I broke out my level and sure enough
there is almost an 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch difference between the edges of the
room to the center. It's almost like a dome shape, or upside down U. Almost
like it's crowning. There are no cracks in the drywall. What would cause this
to happen? What can be done to fix it. I'd prefer not to rip out the drywall
since there is blown insulation in the attic. Would the easiest solution be to
add furring strips to the high spots to bring it level with the lower ends and
add another sheet of drywall to make the surface level?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1169559-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 at 1:44:07 PM UTC-4, sphillips72 wrote:
We recently re-tiled the shower surround in our guest bathroom. The bathroom
is a smaller bathroom, 5' deep and 8 feet long. Anyway while working on the
tile, I noticed that the ceiling seemed to be lower at each end of the
bathroom than it is in the middle. So I broke out my level and sure enough
there is almost an 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch difference between the edges of the
room to the center. It's almost like a dome shape, or upside down U. Almost
like it's crowning. There are no cracks in the drywall. What would cause this
to happen? What can be done to fix it. I'd prefer not to rip out the drywall
since there is blown insulation in the attic.

I think that's the key here. Since you have an attic, go do some exploring
as to how the ceiling joists run and what's going on there. That's a big
difference and something should be obvious from up there.

Would the easiest solution be to
add furring strips to the high spots to bring it level with the lower ends and
add another sheet of drywall to make the surface level?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1169559-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you just now noticed it, why not leave well enough alone???
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 26 Jun 2018 17:44:02 GMT, sphillips72
m wrote:

We recently re-tiled the shower surround in our guest bathroom. The bathroom
is a smaller bathroom, 5' deep and 8 feet long. Anyway while working on the
tile, I noticed that the ceiling seemed to be lower at each end of the
bathroom than it is in the middle. So I broke out my level and sure enough
there is almost an 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch difference between the edges of the
room to the center. It's almost like a dome shape, or upside down U. Almost
like it's crowning. There are no cracks in the drywall. What would cause this
to happen? What can be done to fix it.

Leave it alone. It's better for singing. All the opera singers and
the best popular singers have vaulted showers.

I'd prefer not to rip out the drywall
since there is blown insulation in the attic.

Then don't do that.

Would the easiest solution be to
add furring strips to the high spots to bring it level with the lower ends and
add another sheet of drywall to make the surface level?

No. The easiest solution would be to do nothing.

How long have you had the house? How long did it take you to notice
this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

sphillips72 posted for all of us...

[...]

Since you can get in the attic check there first. If no leaks or other
misfortunes it was probably not installed correctly. Do you have a ceiling
fan or light there? It may have pulled the drywall up... I would leave it
alone. If there are no problems you will eventually forget about it.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2018 10:44 AM, sphillips72 wrote:
We recently re-tiled the shower surround in our guest bathroom. The
bathroom
is a smaller bathroom, 5' deep and 8 feet long. Anyway whileÂ* working on
the
tile, I noticed that the ceiling seemed to be lower at each end of the
bathroom than it is in the middle. So I broke out my level and sure enough
there is almost an 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch difference between the edges of the
room to theÂ* center. It's almost like aÂ* dome shape, or upside down U.
Almost
like it's crowning. There are no cracks in the drywall. What would cause
this
to happen? What can be done toÂ* fix it.Â* I'd prefer not to rip out the
drywall
since there is blown insulation in the attic. Would the easiest solution
be to
add furring strips to the high spots to bring it level with the lower
ends and
add another sheet of drywall to make the surface level?

It's like an igloo. Any water that condenses will run down the walls and
not drip on you from the ceiling.