Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My lawn tractor won't stay running

When I disengage the brake it dies

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...g-1169470-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 12:14:02 GMT, Sparkie 1971
m wrote:

When I disengage the brake it dies

Check all the safety interlocks - seat switch ; deck/blade engage ;
maybe others .. It helps to have the electrical schematic.
... and a multi-meter.
Post the year, make, nodel maybe someone has knowledge.
Perhaps something seized or jammed in the drive-train ?
but the engine would struggle & stall rather than die suddenly.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

When I disengage the brake it dies

Check all the safety interlocks - seat switch ; deck/blade engage ;
maybe others .. It helps to have the electrical schematic.
.. and a multi-meter.
Post the year, make, nodel maybe someone has knowledge.
Perhaps something seized or jammed in the drive-train ?
but the engine would struggle & stall rather than die suddenly.
John T.

Yes, at least if you released the brake slowly, the engine should
show evidence of bogging down before stopping, if something is jambed
in the drive. Seat interlock would be my first thought.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 10:15:19 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Yes, at least if you released the brake slowly, the engine should
show evidence of bogging down before stopping, if something is jambed
in the drive. Seat interlock would be my first thought.

The seat interlock is where I would start looking also. The mowers I
have used will let you put on the brake and get out of the seat. If the
break is not on, the motor will stop when you get out of the seat.

I much prefer the system on my old rider - the seat interlock
only shuts it down if the blades are engaged. As far as I can tell
there is no interlock on the brake. I guess it could possibly roll
away on a hill but the hydro transmission wouldn't let it roll very
fast - more likely that the hydro would creep it along if not
fully in neutral.
John T.