Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawn mowers won't stay running

My neighbor (female with deployed husband) has two lawn mowers that won't stay running. I drained the old gas from them, put new gas in, and used a little ether to get them started. They run for a bit, then die. They won't start on their own, without ether. I try priming them, but I'm not sure they are getting gas.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 11:36:47 AM UTC-5, wrote:
My neighbor (female with deployed husband) has two lawn mowers that won't stay running. I drained the old gas from them, put new gas in, and used a little ether to get them started. They run for a bit, then die. They won't start on their own, without ether. I try priming them, but I'm not sure they are getting gas.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Remove the air cleaner and see if fuel is spraying when you press the primer. When cold sometimes after starting, you need to prime it until it can run on its own.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 May 2016 14:15:31 -0400, "83LowRider" wrote:

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Pull the line to the carburetor. Is gas flowing/dripping?

Pull the air filter. If you can spray fuel/starting fluid into
the carb and it continues to run, you're clogged in the
carb or in the line.

I had, in the past, a carb butterfly choke stick in the carb throat.
I'd be spraying that carb really well, check the needle valves and
float operation. Sunken float keeping the float valve open?

.... fuel / spark / oxygen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 May 2016 15:36:11 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

The symptoms are consistent with bad gasket
between the carb and the engine body.

No. Not always.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 11:36:47 AM UTC-5, wrote:
My neighbor (female with deployed husband) has two lawn mowers that won't stay running. I drained the old gas from them, put new gas in, and used a little ether to get them started. They run for a bit, then die. They won't start on their own, without ether. I try priming them, but I'm not sure they are getting gas.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Several years ago, my housemate's lawnmower would not run. It had a spark and a little gas squirted in the carb would run it for a few seconds. I got on line and found a new OEM carb on eBay for $20. It was easier to get a new carb because the rebuild kits were about the same price. New carb solved the problem. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Mower Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 May 2016 16:31:00 -0700, "Bob F"

My neighbor (female with deployed husband) has two lawn mowers that
won't stay running. I drained the old gas from them, put new gas in,
and used a little ether to get them started. They run for a bit, then
die. They won't start on their own, without ether. I try priming
them, but I'm not sure they are getting gas.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I find dripping gas into the carb while starting it, and continuing with more
bit by bit to keep it running longer will often get them working. I have had
some luck using a small plastic tube with one end in the tank and the other very
near the choke butterfly will suck in gas. Move the choke end away/closer to
vary the flow. Or just use some kind of squirt bottle.

Just don't let the engine backfire or you can be on the menu for a
bar-b-q.

Get a can of sea-foam. Put some in each tank. Get them started a few
times. Let sit for a couple hours and try again. Blow gently into the
top of the tank to pressurize a bit to help get gasoline into the carb
if necessary. (a piece of mountain bike inner tube stretched over the
filler for you to blow into helps)

The Sea-Foam works pretty good at hetting the crud disolved out of
the jets and float bowl.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The symptoms are consistent with bad gasket
between the carb and the engine body.

No. Not always.

That's why troubleshooting guides list several
possible causes. I listed one. You going to do
some thing useful like tell the poor guy some
of the other things to check? Naah, just post
critcisms. So much easier to be a critic. BTW,
you're a lousy critic.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Lawn mowers GMM[_4_] UK diy 21 June 5th 15 09:29 AM
Good Lawn Mowers Tim Wescott Metalworking 45 August 21st 09 08:29 PM
Lawn mowers under $300? [email protected] Home Repair 16 May 14th 09 09:49 PM
Borgs & Lawn Mowers Renata Woodworking 10 May 20th 08 04:44 PM
Lawn Tractors/Mowers Wyatt Wright Home Repair 54 September 13th 04 09:21 PM