Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer is blowing the house breaker

When I run my dryer, it blows the 100 amp circuit breaker to entire house,
and the breaker is super hot. Even with nothing else on but a tv and a fan.
What do I do?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-1169209-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/19/18 6:44 AM, Needhelpplz wrote:
When I run my dryer,Â* it blows the 100 amp circuit breaker to entire house,
and the breaker is super hot.Â* Even with nothing else on but a tv and a
fan.
What do I do?

Price new dryers.
I'd be wondering why the dryer isn't blowing the circuit breaker it's
supposed to be connected to. I think those are typically 30 amp dual
breakers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/19/2018 6:44 AM, Needhelpplz wrote:
When I run my dryer,Â* it blows the 100 amp circuit breaker to entire
house,
and the breaker is super hot.Â* Even with nothing else on but a tv and
a fan.
What do I do?

Call an electrician .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/19/2018 7:44 AM, Needhelpplz wrote:
When I run my dryer,Â* it blows the 100 amp circuit breaker to entire house,
and the breaker is super hot.Â* Even with nothing else on but a tv and a
fan.
What do I do?

Buy a new dryer
or
Call an electrician.

There is a serious and unsafe problem with the heating elements if is is
drawing that much power. If relatively new, fix it, otherwise trash it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 11:44:02 GMT, Needhelpplz
m wrote:

When I run my dryer, it blows the 100 amp circuit breaker to entire house,
and the breaker is super hot. Even with nothing else on but a tv and a fan.
What do I do?

Call an electrician NOW or call the fire department tomorrow

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/19/2018 7:44 AM, Needhelpplz wrote:
When I run my dryer,Â* it blows the 100 amp circuit breaker to entire house,
and the breaker is super hot.Â* Even with nothing else on but a tv and a fan.
What do I do?

Loose and or corroded electrical connections typically heat up when you pass current through them so it's likely you have a loose wire or maybe the breaker/buss bar connection is loose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

When I run my dryer, it blows the 100 amp circuit breaker to entire house,
and the breaker is super hot. Even with nothing else on but a tv and a fan.
What do I do?

Call an electrician NOW or call the fire department tomorrow

we assume this is an electrical dryer, not gas?
the problem COULD be the breaker.
Do you have any other large electrical appliances like electric stove?
Do they blow the breaker too?
mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 6:44:06 AM UTC-5, Needhelpplz wrote:
When I run my dryer, it blows the 100 amp circuit breaker to entire house,
and the breaker is super hot. Even with nothing else on but a tv and a fan.
What do I do?
--

I'd be really worried if a breaker was "blowing". Perhaps you meant "tripping" which is what circuit breakers do and it has nothing to do with psychedelic drugs. It has to with overcurrent causing the spring-loaded mechanism to open the contacts thus the term "trip" and the handle of the circuit breaker moving to the tripped position. The first thing I would check would be the connections to and on the circuit breaker because a loose connection on a circuit breaker will get hot and one of the things that will cause a circuit breaker to trip is heat. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Tripping Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Call an electrician.

If a smaller breaker were tripping, you could consider checking for a loose connection.

But you as a homeowner can't do that for the main breaker, because the wires going to it are hot. You can turn off the main, pull the safety shield, and carefully check the other breakers in the panel, but to cut power to the main breaker you would have to pull the meter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 8:45:29 AM UTC-4, Bubba wrote:
On 6/19/2018 7:44 AM, Needhelpplz wrote:
When I run my dryer,Â* it blows the 100 amp circuit breaker to entire house,
and the breaker is super hot.Â* Even with nothing else on but a tv and a fan.
What do I do?

Loose and or corroded electrical connections typically heat up when you pass current through them so it's likely you have a loose wire or maybe the breaker/buss bar connection is loose.

+1

There must be a smaller breaker for the dryer and that apparently is
not tripping, while the main is getting hot, so I'd suspect that
something is wrong at the main breaker, either loose connection or
failing breaker.