Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Dryer is Blowing the Circuit Breaker - HELP!

wrote in message

Thank you! I guess a new dryer takes more amps to run then the older
dryer. With 100 amp service coming into the house - I assume that
means with everything running, the house can't have more then 100 amps
of draw on the power coming into the house before the main circuit
trips??? I am not a electrician so I apologize if the question seems
dumb ... thanks again for your help!

Bill

If you look at the main breaker and it has 100 amps on it, that means that
you can not use more than 100 amps total. That is also not entirely true.
A house has three wires comming into it. If you measuer across two of the
wires (the hot wires) you will have 230 volts. Between either of the hot
wires and the third wire (neutral) you will have 115 volts.

You will have some 230 volt breakers and some 115 volt breakers. YOu can
usually tell the differance as the 230 volt ones will look to be twice as
wide as the 115 volt breakers. The breakers will add up to way more than
100 amps. Normally you will not have everything on in the house at the same
time. Also you can have more than 100 amps of the 115 volt breakers in use
at the same time. That is because about half of them are on one of the hot
wires and the other half is on the other hot wire.
That means that if you split the load just right and do not have any of the
230 volt stuff on, you can have 200 amps of 115 volt load.