Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Dryer is Blowing the Circuit Breaker - HELP!

On Sep 23, 9:32*pm, wrote:
On Sep 23, 11:15*pm, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message

The situation is: * The house is 100 years old. Has 100 amp breaker
service. Bought a new dryer and after 15 minutes of running, it blows
the circuit breaker. I would just put in a bigger circuit breaker but
me and electricity don't get along very well.

I reset the breaker and turn on the new dryer - the breaker trips
again after a few minutes. *I have now stopped using the new dryer.

The dryer is about 30 feet from the breaker box. * *There used to be a
very old dryer that I assume worked just fine - we just bought the
house. *It has a three prong plug.

My question is: * *Just up the circuit breaker 5 amps and install one
a bit stronger? * Re-run some lower gauge wire and up the circuit
breaker by 5 amps from what it is already?

This is my kids house and is in the middle of nowhere (Ernest) *PA.
He has been trying to get an electrician to come out to the house but
it is like pulling teeth. *I will likely need to do it myself when I
go visit. *I just don't to burn the house down because I overloaded
the wire/circuit.

Suggestions - Hints?

Look at the back of the dryer and see how many amps the dryer is suspose to
use. *Check to see if the breaker is that large or larger. * If not , you
will need a larger breaker and wire to match going to the dryer. *Check all
connections in the breaker box and the dryer socket.

If the breaker is large enough and the wiring is tight, then you may have a
defective dryer, or the breaker is defective.

Thank you! * I guess a new dryer takes more amps to run then the older
dryer. *With 100 amp service coming into the house - I assume that
means with everything running, the house can't have more then 100 amps
of draw on the power coming into the house before the main circuit
trips??? *I am not a electrician so I apologize if the question seems
dumb ... *thanks again for your help!

Bill- Hide quoted text -

Newer equipment usualy takes less amps, maybe something on the dryer
is bad, an amp meter could test surge and run load
Posted to alt.home.repair

Newer equipment usualy takes less amps, maybe something on the dryer
is bad, an amp meter could test surge and run load- Hide quoted text -

You would think, but I just bought a Kenmore dryer and its rated at 26
amps.

Another thing to consider. If the existing outlet in the wall is 3
prong. Then the dryer has a 3 prong plug on it, which means the
neutral and ground were jumped inside the dryer.
Todays new dryers come wired for a 4 prong outlet. But if you have an
older style 3 prong, the instructions say to open up the back panel of
the dryer and tie the ground and neutral together. So I'm wondering
maybe if there's a problem with the way it was wired.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Todays new dryers come wired for a 4 prong outlet. But if you have an
older style 3 prong, the instructions say to open up the back panel of
the dryer and tie the ground and neutral together. So I'm wondering
maybe if there's a problem with the way it was wired.

Actually, almost all dryers are "field wired." The installer puts on a 3
or 4 wire cord depending upon what the outlet is.

Frankly, it "sounds like" there is "something wrong" with your dryer.
Check the nameplace for both current and VOLTAGE. If you have a model
meant to run on 208 volts it may well draw too much juice on 240. Check
the instaltion instruction to see what can of circuit it requires (it should
spell out the minimum breaker size).

The major load on an electric dryer is just the heating elements. What
this means is the things like "loose wires" will not cause increased current
draw (this happens when the major load is a motor). You might also want to
check the connections at the breaker: a loose connection will generate heat
which will cause the breaker to trip a little sooner.

If everything is "OK" at your end, you call in repairman and tell him to
"Fix It!"