Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator - Compressor runs for just a few seconds then clicks off

Any answer
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 8:18:37 AM wrote:

Good evening . I have my refrigerator ,it has worked for 10years but it started not cooling and I called the repairman and told me to buy a compressor.. We replaced the compressor and the refrigerator worked again for a month but now the compressor switches its for 10secondss and then goes off completely without coming on back and then starts heating up . Is that the compressor is faulty again. Coz its not cooling condenser fins clean , waterdrain clean , fans running. any one with any ideas

Your not-so-great outcome is why I'd never even consider replacing the compressor on a 10 year-old refrigerator.Â* Yes, a successful compressor transplant by a skilled tech is possible but considering the declining skills of the typical appliance repair
person, it's not a gamble I'm willing to take.

In my opinion, if the compressor pukes after the full 100% parts and labor warranty has expired and I have to start writing checks, it's time to head to McLowesDepot to buy a new frige.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 16, 2018 at 7:11:16 AM UTC-5, Morph wrote:
[...]

When I was working, I replaced a lot of compressors. The trick to repairing a home refrigerator so it will run for another 30 years is cleanliness. When I replaced a compressor in one, I'd blow nitrogen through the lines after removing the bad compressor in order to remove contaminants. Sometimes I'd use a system flush that would clean out the lines really well. Plenty of nitrogen was used to assure a contaminant-free system. I always installed a new liquid line filter/dryer when replacing a compressor. After that, I'd hook up my vacuum pump and pull a really deep vacuum, fill the system with nitrogen and perform a pressure and leak test, let it out then pull another deep vacuum before filling with refrigerant and a shot of system treatment.. I had pretty good luck as all of the systems I repaired in the last decade are still running as far as I know because I haven't had any callbacks. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fridge Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 16, 2018 at 8:11:16 AM UTC-4, Morph wrote:
[...]

It also depends on the cost of a replacement. If it's a $700 fridge,
I agree. If it's one that costs $2500 or more then it's another story.
But I do agree that a big problem is whether it's done right or not
and it seems there are more hacks doing shortcuts than ever.