Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Refrigerator - Compressor runs for just a few seconds then clicks off

In article ,
says...

Your not-so-great outcome is why I'd never even consider replacing the compressor on a 10 year-old refrigerator.* Yes, a successful compressor transplant by a skilled tech is possible but considering the declining skills of the typical appliance repair
person, it's not a gamble I'm willing to take.

In my opinion, if the compressor pukes after the full 100% parts and labor warranty has expired and I have to start writing checks, it's time to head to McLowesDepot to buy a new frige.

It also depends on the cost of a replacement. If it's a $700 fridge,
I agree. If it's one that costs $2500 or more then it's another story.
But I do agree that a big problem is whether it's done right or not
and it seems there are more hacks doing shortcuts than ever.

I don't buy the very high price appliances, so just about anytime one of
them quits after a few years it gets replaced. Chances are that if one
part failed it would not be too long after another would fail.

If i was something I could replace myself for a few dolars I would give
it a try,but nothing that costs very much.