Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Multiple section crawl space flooded

Hello all,
I am buying a house with 3 inches of water in the crawl space. No foundation
issues but need a permanant fix. I am looking to install a sump because
groundwater is the source of my mess.
My question is, being that I have stem walls in several places in the crawl
space, I have 4 sections that hold water. Is it ok to drill holes in the
interior stem walls to allow water to move to 1 central sump, or do i need 4
pumps? 1 for each section?
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks,
Robert

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...d-1167406-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 2:44:06 PM UTC-4, Robert Dickens wrote:
Hello all,
I am buying a house with 3 inches of water in the crawl space. No foundation
issues but need a permanant fix. I am looking to install a sump because
groundwater is the source of my mess.
My question is, being that I have stem walls in several places in the crawl
space, I have 4 sections that hold water. Is it ok to drill holes in the
interior stem walls to allow water to move to 1 central sump, or do i need 4
pumps? 1 for each section?
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks,
Robert

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...d-1167406-.htm

Aren't there homes for sale that don't have 4" of water? Or are you
getting a huge discount? The solution would be to install tile drains
around the perimeter of the crawl space that lead to one (usually) sump pump.
This is normally done during new construction when they do the foundation,
so somebody screwed up big time. And if they screwed that up, God knows
what all else they screwed up too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks,
Robert

consider that the grid power WILL go out at some point when you need the pumps.
If its just a crawl space, maybe not a big issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2018 2:44 PM, Robert Dickens wrote:
Hello all,
I am buying a house with 3 inches of water in the crawl space. No foundation
issues but need a permanant fix. I am looking to install a sump because
groundwater is the source of my mess.

A sump pump is a bandaid. You need a long term fix.

Is the ground sloped away from the house?Â* Do the downspouts drain water at least 10' away from the foundation?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 5:30:37 PM UTC-4, Roche wrote:
On 5/23/2018 2:44 PM, Robert Dickens wrote:
Hello all,
I am buying a house with 3 inches of water in the crawl space. No foundation
issues but need a permanant fix. I am looking to install a sump because
groundwater is the source of my mess.

A sump pump is a bandaid. You need a long term fix.

Is the ground sloped away from the house?Â* Do the downspouts drain water at least 10' away from the foundation?

That's simply not true. If the ground water is relatively high a house
may need a sump pump, particularly at certain times of the year.
You can't fix groundwater with grading. Millions of homes rely on sump pumps.
But why a house was built without one and has 4" of water in the basement,
that's a good question. Grading certainly can contribute to the problem.
And if a sump pump is needed, the only other option would be a gravity
drain and most places that can't be done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2018 6:14 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I'd never buy a house that needed a sump pump to keep the crawl space dry.Â* What kind of moron creates a mess like that?Â* Smart builders know it's much better to build the house 2-3 feet higher if necessary.Â* And where the hell was the building inspector
when this mess was created?