Jedd Haas

Default Whole House Fan Preferred Brands/Models?

hi,

I am interested in installing a whole-house fan. So far, I have found some
models by Tamarack and Nutone. Any comments on these brands? Other brands
that are better? I am looking for a decent quality unit. Also interested
in hearing any recommendations on thermostats or other controllers.

Due to space limitations, I will need to put in a 20" or 24" fan.

Thanks,

Jedd

--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com
~KJPRO~

"Jedd Haas" wrote in message
hi,

I am interested in installing a whole-house fan. So far, I have found some

You should post at alt.home.repair, as this is a pro's group.

BTW, there are many of us pro's that answer Homeowners post over there as
well.

Good Luck,
~kjpro~

I installed a crummy fan from Lowes, and HD had nothing better. I wish I had
gone to Grainger and paid more money. A whole-house fan is not a cooling
device per se, but a wind-making device for which a window has to be open,
and/so I don't think you want a thermostat at all. Just a good switch. Maybe
a timed switch, the kind you wind up to 60 minutes. Again, try Grainger.
-B

"Joe Doe" wrote in message
In article , says...
hi,

I am interested in installing a whole-house fan. So far, I have found

some
models by Tamarack and Nutone. Any comments on these brands? Other

brands
that are better? I am looking for a decent quality unit. Also interested
in hearing any recommendations on thermostats or other controllers.

I put in a 30", 2-speed, 1/3hp Dayton fan (3C325B)a little over a year
ago. It's been great!! Reasonably quiet, and it really moves the air.
I've also been impressed with the rock solid build -- although it was
another matter when I was having to hoist the heavy mother 12' up a
ladder ;-) Seriously, though, the construction seemed significantly
better than the fans I saw at H-D and Lowes. I bought the fan from
Grainger (
www.grainger.com).

All that said, I don't know if Dayton makes 20-24" fans. Sorry.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Dan

"B" wrote in message
.com...
I installed a crummy fan from Lowes, and HD had nothing better. I wish I

had
gone to Grainger and paid more money. A whole-house fan is not a cooling
device per se, but a wind-making device for which a window has to be open,
and/so I don't think you want a thermostat at all. Just a good switch.

Maybe
a timed switch, the kind you wind up to 60 minutes. Again, try Grainger.
-B

I just had one put in from HD. Just what do you not like about it? Mine
has only been running a month or so, but everything seems fine. Do these
units have a reputation? Mine is a 30 inch Master Flow with belt drive.
Dan

ck

"Dan" wrote in message

"B" wrote in message
.com...
I installed a crummy fan from Lowes, and HD had nothing better. I wish I

had
gone to Grainger and paid more money. A whole-house fan is not a cooling
device per se, but a wind-making device for which a window has to be

open,
and/so I don't think you want a thermostat at all. Just a good switch.

Maybe
a timed switch, the kind you wind up to 60 minutes. Again, try Grainger.
-B

I just had one put in from HD. Just what do you not like about it? Mine
has only been running a month or so, but everything seems fine. Do these
units have a reputation? Mine is a 30 inch Master Flow with belt drive.
Dan

I put one in from Lowe's, a Certainteed, works great !! No problems so far.