Lex

Default Pool Plaster Chipping - Followup

This is followup to a post I made a few weeks ago about my plaster
chipping:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...TF-8%26hl%3Den

Before my pool company came out I armed myself with as much
information as I could so that I would not allow the guy to blame the
problem on water chemistry. I got mixed oppinions from places I
contacted including the National Plastering Council
http://www.npconline.org/ (who actually said it was probably a water
chemistry problem).

Anyway confident that my chemistry is always in range I awaited a
battle.

The pool guy came and starred at the area for a few minutes and said
"I think we can take care of this for you. I have to talk to someone
and see what he wants to do." I asked him what caused the problem and
he said he was not really sure he had never seen it happen quite like
that before. My guess was that he was thinking in his head that the
plasterers really screwed up.

The guy finally got back to me and said they would replaster the
problem area at no charge. I just have to drain the water below the
bad area which I will do when closing the pool and they will take care
of it then.
SQLit

"Lex" wrote in message
m...
[...]

DO IT NOW

Pool companies go out of business every day.

HA HA Budys Here

From: "SQLit"

DO IT NOW

Pool companies go out of business every day.

And then re-appear under a new name tomorrow.

My favorite is the way retail above-ground pool companies operate. They
advertize their pools with "installation included" and state restrictions as to
how much grading, sand, etc is covered in the "included" price.

When you get there, you're informed that the installers do not work for the
pool store, chain, and aren't employees, but that you'll be dealing with any
one of a number of pool installation companies that they have on their "list"
for you to choose from, who agree to honor the retailer's installation voucher.

The salesman will often "recommend" one or two of the list of 4-8 installers
who definately have no "affiliation" with the pool store.

After purchasing a pool, if you don't contact an installer soon enough, one or
two of them will contact you. (Pretty nifty for an unaffiliated, seperate
contractor to know you have a pool to install when they've no "affiliation"
with the pool store!)

In my case, the pool was 18 x 33 extruded corrugated aluminum, and designed to
be buried anywhere from 2' to it's entire depth of 54". 2' of excavation is
standard and included with the price, but that didn't stop the 1st
"un-affiliated" contractor from informing me that there was a charge of 280.00
for the 18 patio blocks and 4 cu.yds. of sand necessary for installation. He
response to my inquiry: "if these components are necessary for installation,
then it's included in the price I paid for the pool, no? I mean, the sand is a
no-brainer and this particular model requires the uprights be placed on
blocks." was troubling at best.

A call to the pool store that:
A- I wasn't ready for installation yet, and B-why is this guy trying to charge
me for things I already paid for, and
C-how could an un-affiliated installer get access to my name and number?

Was quite comical.

Bill Schnakenberg

SQLit wrote:

"Lex" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Sometimes, that works out for the best. I had a pool company install my
18' x 36' inground pool. They had been in business for a number of
years. They did a good job, but never finished the final grading around
the finished pool, despite numerous calls. I never was billed for the
last payment installment which amounted to about $1000, because the
owner of the pool company ran off with his bookkeeper and took about
$50,000 in company funds with him. I hired a guy doing some backfill
work on a new house being built across the street to finish the grading.
He drove the dozer across the street and finished the grading in a
couple of hours. It cost me $100. That was about 16 years ago.

Plaster pool chipping Lex Home Repair 2 June 28th 04 06:36 AM
How can I fix cracks in plaster of old house? Phil Munro Home Repair 5 October 18th 03 10:48 AM
Swimming pool plaster John Keiser Home Repair 4 September 6th 03 04:20 PM