Lex

Default Plaster pool chipping

I have a 4 yaer old gunite/plaster pool. I just noticed that the plaster in
the swimout is chipping. They are pretty thin chips but it looks like its
getting worse. I have called the pool company and they are sending someone
out next week. I just wanted to post this to see if anyone knows what might
casue this. Defect in the plaster? My pH and alkalinity are always in
range.

Here are some photos of a chip:

http://www.amsnet.com/wizards/graphics/plaster1.jpg

http://www.amsnet.com/wizards/graphics/plaster2.jpg

Regards

Richard J Kinch

Lex writes:

I just wanted to post this to see if anyone knows what might
casue this. Defect in the plaster?

Obviously it is a defect, unless someone has been taking a hammer to your
pool. Many things can cause this, but most likely it was bad application
technique, like spreading plaster that had already started to set, or
spreading a second pass of freshly mixed plaster over an already-plastered
area (because the first try didn't turn out right and was too set up to
finish properly).

About all that is certain is that it is the contractor's defect and
responsibility to cure. They are typically experts at weaseling out of
such responsibilities. Costs of fair dealing after the job has been
finished for a while tend to make contracting less competitive, so I wish
you the best.

http://www.truetex.com/pool.htm
Aquamaid Pty Ltd

This has been a major debate for a few years now. Most likely defect in
application and/or material. Push to make the contractor fix the problem.
If no one has physically hit it, or your water balance, then it is their
responsibility.

Regards

LJ Boyd - Aquamaid Pty Ltd
www.aquamaid.com.au