Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair,alt.cellular

Default How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on the road?

Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was
"tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does
not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability.
http://i.cubeupload.com/jOw0fO.gif

Since this was a surprise to me that a WiFi-only tablet could "route" on
top of an offline (aka "OK MAPS") google map while driving on the road, I
was telling someone about it, who asked this question:

Q: Is Google using previously stored WiFi AP SSIDs in the offline maps to
locate your position, or, is the tablet's Wi-Fi automatically connecting to
open APs, and hence giving away the location by that method?