DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on the road? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/607996-how-does-wi-fi-only-tablet-route-google-maps-when-road.html)

Ragnusen Ultred March 29th 18 10:47 PM

How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on the road?

Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was
"tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does
not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability.
http://i.cubeupload.com/jOw0fO.gif

Since this was a surprise to me that a WiFi-only tablet could "route" on
top of an offline (aka "OK MAPS") google map while driving on the road, I
was telling someone about it, who asked this question:

Q: Is Google using previously stored WiFi AP SSIDs in the offline maps to
locate your position, or, is the tablet's Wi-Fi automatically connecting to
open APs, and hence giving away the location by that method?

Clare Snyder March 30th 18 12:55 AM

How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on the road?

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 14:47:47 -0700, Ragnusen Ultred
wrote:

Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was
"tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does
not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability.
http://i.cubeupload.com/jOw0fO.gif

Since this was a surprise to me that a WiFi-only tablet could "route" on
top of an offline (aka "OK MAPS") google map while driving on the road, I
was telling someone about it, who asked this question:

Q: Is Google using previously stored WiFi AP SSIDs in the offline maps to
locate your position, or, is the tablet's Wi-Fi automatically connecting to
open APs, and hence giving away the location by that method?

It WILL have a gps in it. Over 99% of tablets today - and cell
phones - have GPS. I don't think Apple makes an I-Pad without GPS.

rbowman March 30th 18 02:57 AM

On 03/29/2018 03:47 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Q: Is Google using previously stored WiFi AP SSIDs in the offline maps to
locate your position, or, is the tablet's Wi-Fi automatically connecting to
open APs, and hence giving away the location by that method?

An app can query the GPS in your tablet and plot the position using
local geodata that was downloaded when you were connected.

micky March 30th 18 07:21 AM

How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on the road?

In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 29 Mar 2018 14:47:47 -0700, Ragnusen
Ultred wrote:

Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was
"tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does
not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability.
http://i.cubeupload.com/jOw0fO.gif

Check the rear of the car. There may be a long cord attached.

gregz March 30th 18 09:20 AM

Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was
"tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does
not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability.
http://i.cubeupload.com/jOw0fO.gif

Since this was a surprise to me that a WiFi-only tablet could "route" on
top of an offline (aka "OK MAPS") google map while driving on the road, I
was telling someone about it, who asked this question:

Q: Is Google using previously stored WiFi AP SSIDs in the offline maps to
locate your position, or, is the tablet's Wi-Fi automatically connecting to
open APs, and hence giving away the location by that method?

My tablet will show me my position without GPS. I often connect to Xfinity
hot spots, but don't use it on the road.

Greg

Paul Colquhoun March 30th 18 11:37 AM

How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on theroad?

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 14:47:47 -0700, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
| Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was
| "tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does
| not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability.
| http://i.cubeupload.com/jOw0fO.gif

That screen shot is from an iPad. Notice the little arrow up in the top
right corner, next to the 18% battery indicator? That means GPS is
active.

I don't think Apple have ever made an iPad without a GPS chip.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/
Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:

Meanie[_2_] March 30th 18 01:10 PM

wrote:

Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was
"tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does
not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability.
http://i.cubeupload.com/jOw0fO.gif

Since this was a surprise to me that a WiFi-only tablet could "route" on
top of an offline (aka "OK MAPS") google map while driving on the road, I
was telling someone about it, who asked this question:

Q: Is Google using previously stored WiFi AP SSIDs in the offline maps to
locate your position, or, is the tablet's Wi-Fi automatically connecting to
open APs, and hence giving away the location by that method?

It WILL have a gps in it. Over 99% of tablets today - and cell
phones - have GPS. I don't think Apple makes an I-Pad without GPS.

Then you might want to tell me where it is cause I can't find mine
within my WiFi only Apple iPad Air. In fact, I had to purchase a
separate GPS adapter in order to use mapping apps or use my phone as a
hotspot. Otherwise, there isn't any GPS in it.

Meanie[_2_] March 30th 18 01:16 PM

On 3/29/2018 5:47 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was
"tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does
not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability.
http://i.cubeupload.com/jOw0fO.gif

Since this was a surprise to me that a WiFi-only tablet could "route" on
top of an offline (aka "OK MAPS") google map while driving on the road, I
was telling someone about it, who asked this question:

Q: Is Google using previously stored WiFi AP SSIDs in the offline maps to
locate your position, or, is the tablet's Wi-Fi automatically connecting to
open APs, and hence giving away the location by that method?

Are you certain it's WiFi only? I'm not a tech wizard but I cannot see
how it would connect to GPS without one.

According to Apple support, iPads with WiFi only do not have GPS
capability. iPads with WiFi and Cellular do have GPS capability.

My WiFi only iPad Air does not have GPS. I had to purchase a separate
GPS adapter to use mapping apps or connect via my phones hotspot.

Meanie[_2_] March 30th 18 01:22 PM

On 3/30/2018 6:37 AM, Paul Colquhoun wrote:
On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 14:47:47 -0700, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
| Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was
| "tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does
| not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability.
| http://i.cubeupload.com/jOw0fO.gif

That screen shot is from an iPad. Notice the little arrow up in the top
right corner, next to the 18% battery indicator? That means GPS is
active.

I don't think Apple have ever made an iPad without a GPS chip.

Then someone better tell Apple support. According to them, the WiFi only
models have no GPS capabilities. I can attest to that since my WiFi only
iPad Air isn't capable of GPS connectivity on it's own.

Bod[_3_] March 30th 18 01:51 PM

On 30/03/2018 13:10, Meanie wrote:
On 3/29/2018 7:55 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 14:47:47 -0700, RagnusenÂ* Ultred
wrote:

Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was
"tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet
definitely does
not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability.
http://i.cubeupload.com/jOw0fO.gif

Since this was a surprise to me that a WiFi-only tablet could "route" on
top of an offline (aka "OK MAPS") google map while driving on the
road, I
was telling someone about it, who asked this question:

Q: Is Google using previously stored WiFi AP SSIDs in the offline
maps to
locate your position, or, is the tablet's Wi-Fi automatically
connecting to
open APs, and hence giving away the location by that method?

Â*Â* It WILL have a gps in it. Over 99% of tablets today - and cell
phones - have GPS. I don't think Apple makes an I-Pad without GPS.

Then you might want to tell me where it is cause I can't find mine
within my WiFi only Apple iPad Air. In fact, I had to purchase a
separate GPS adapter in order to use mapping apps or use my phone as a
hotspot. Otherwise, there isn't any GPS in it.

Then you must have either a very old or a cheap phone.
My phone is nearly 4 years old and has GPS built in.

--
Bod

Bod[_3_] March 30th 18 01:55 PM

wrote:

[...]

Uh oh! I think I missread about using your phone as a hotspot, my apologies.

--
Bod

trader_4 March 30th 18 02:34 PM

wrote:

[...]

The discussion is about a TABLET, not phones. Apparently not all tablets
have GPS, the OP specifically said that he's sure his does not. If he
shared the make/model we could check.

Bod[_3_] March 30th 18 02:36 PM

wrote:

[...]

Yes, I corrected myself in another post.

--
Bod

nospam[_3_] March 30th 18 04:34 PM

How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on the road?

In article , Paul
Colquhoun wrote:

| Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was
| "tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does
| not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability.
| http://i.cubeupload.com/jOw0fO.gif

That screen shot is from an iPad. Notice the little arrow up in the top
right corner, next to the 18% battery indicator? That means GPS is
active.

nope. it means an app is using location services to obtain the user's
location, which can be done without a hardware gps (and even if there
is a hardware gps, it's not always used).

I don't think Apple have ever made an iPad without a GPS chip.

they did and still do.

wifi-only ipads do not have gps or cellular.

trader_4 March 30th 18 04:49 PM

How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on the road?

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 11:34:53 AM UTC-4, nospam wrote:
In article , Paul
Colquhoun wrote:

| Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was
| "tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does
| not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability.
| http://i.cubeupload.com/jOw0fO.gif

That screen shot is from an iPad. Notice the little arrow up in the top
right corner, next to the 18% battery indicator? That means GPS is
active.

nope. it means an app is using location services to obtain the user's
location, which can be done without a hardware gps (and even if there
is a hardware gps, it's not always used).

I don't think Apple have ever made an iPad without a GPS chip.

they did and still do.

wifi-only ipads do not have gps or cellular.

So, the question remains. Assuming the OP is correct and he has a tablet
that does not have GPS or cell service, how is it showing him where he is
on maps while traveling?

Clare Snyder March 30th 18 07:09 PM

wrote:

[...]

My error - I was wrong.

There - I said it!

LTE ipads have GPS - their useless ipad 2 (totally brain dead) and
other wifi pads appaerntly do not. I guess all my flying buddies
using Ipads for flight planning and navigationhave LTE units.

Another reason I HATE the "Fruit-pads" Even the lowliest Android, and
the bottom end BlackBery Playbook had a real GPS in them.

Clare Snyder March 30th 18 07:11 PM

wrote:

[...]

Lousy "Fruit" products. $1200 for the dang things and $200 worth of
features you can use and $1000 for the "snob factor"

Clare Snyder March 30th 18 07:19 PM

How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on the road?

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 21:37:36 +1100, Paul Colquhoun
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 14:47:47 -0700, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
| Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was
| "tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does
| not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability.
| http://i.cubeupload.com/jOw0fO.gif

That screen shot is from an iPad. Notice the little arrow up in the top
right corner, next to the 18% battery indicator? That means GPS is
active.

I don't think Apple have ever made an iPad without a GPS chip.

I didn't thinkl so either, but upon checking they made a whole
crapload of them.

Basically anything without at least 3G data capability has NO GPS.

Imagine - all that expensive yuppy crap with no basic location service
other than triangulating from wifi??? When a GPS chip is less than $5
- on a board ready to connect to an arduino. Cost to apple must be
less than a buck.

Meanie[_2_] March 30th 18 08:29 PM

wrote:

[...]

The only way I saw Bod's reply was through your response to him.
Therefore, I'm using it to tell the whining ****** to pay attention to
the topic. I wasn't discussing a phone nor was the OP. It's "tablet" or
in this case, iPAD.

Don't you have some other issue that doesn't concern you to worry about?

Meanie[_2_] March 30th 18 08:33 PM

How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on theroad?

On 3/29/2018 5:47 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was
"tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does
not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability.
http://i.cubeupload.com/jOw0fO.gif

Since this was a surprise to me that a WiFi-only tablet could "route" on
top of an offline (aka "OK MAPS") google map while driving on the road, I
was telling someone about it, who asked this question:

Q: Is Google using previously stored WiFi AP SSIDs in the offline maps to
locate your position, or, is the tablet's Wi-Fi automatically connecting to
open APs, and hence giving away the location by that method?

I have to stand somewhat corrected. The above mention of Apple products
(iPads) put my mindset on that, whereas you never mentioned iPad but
simply tablets. Therefore, it's very possible other tablet brands have
GPS within their WiFi only devices. I can only attest to iPads who don't.

Meanie[_2_] March 30th 18 08:35 PM

wrote:

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 14:47:47 -0700, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
| Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was
| "tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does
| not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability.
| http://i.cubeupload.com/jOw0fO.gif

That screen shot is from an iPad. Notice the little arrow up in the top
right corner, next to the 18% battery indicator? That means GPS is
active.

I don't think Apple have ever made an iPad without a GPS chip.

I didn't thinkl so either, but upon checking they made a whole
crapload of them.

Basically anything without at least 3G data capability has NO GPS.

Imagine - all that expensive yuppy crap with no basic location service
other than triangulating from wifi??? When a GPS chip is less than $5
- on a board ready to connect to an arduino. Cost to apple must be
less than a buck.

| Since this was a surprise to me that a WiFi-only tablet could "route" on
| top of an offline (aka "OK MAPS") google map while driving on the road, I
| was telling someone about it, who asked this question:
|
| Q: Is Google using previously stored WiFi AP SSIDs in the offline maps to
| locate your position, or, is the tablet's Wi-Fi automatically connecting to
| open APs, and hence giving away the location by that method?

Apple is a greedy control freak. They prefer to sell devices with
specific hardware and space to gain revenues.

Tim[_47_] March 30th 18 10:40 PM

Meanie wrote in :

[...]

Both my Nexus 7 (2013) and my ASUS Zenpad S 8 are wifi only and have GPS.
What I have done in the past was to select an area in Google Maps and
download it to my tablet. Maps will then use that downloaded map and
tablet's GPS to track my location on the map and give turning directions if
I have asked for them.

Ragnusen Ultred March 30th 18 10:48 PM

Am Thu, 29 Mar 2018 19:57:31 -0600, schrieb rbowman:

An app can query the GPS in your tablet and plot the position using
local geodata that was downloaded when you were connected.

This would make sense but I must have forgotten to mention this is a
WiFi-only tablet, in that there is neither GPS nor cellular capability.

So the location has to be by some other means than GPS.

nospam[_3_] March 30th 18 10:52 PM

How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on the road?

In article , Ragnusen Ultred
wrote:

An app can query the GPS in your tablet and plot the position using
local geodata that was downloaded when you were connected.

This would make sense but I must have forgotten to mention this is a
WiFi-only tablet, in that there is neither GPS nor cellular capability.

So the location has to be by some other means than GPS.

you've been told how it works on many, many occasions.

Andy Burns[_13_] March 30th 18 10:56 PM

Ragnusen Ultred wrote:

I must have forgotten to mention this is a
WiFi-only tablet

You omit to say what O/S it is using.

in that there is neither GPS nor cellular capability.

It was explained to one of your alter-egos some time ago, how Google
uses wifi for coarse geolocation, it may have escaped your notice that
unless explicitly disabled, recent versions of android will do that even
when WiFi is "off".

trader_4 March 30th 18 11:03 PM

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 5:48:42 PM UTC-4, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Thu, 29 Mar 2018 19:57:31 -0600, schrieb rbowman:

An app can query the GPS in your tablet and plot the position using
local geodata that was downloaded when you were connected.

This would make sense but I must have forgotten to mention this is a
WiFi-only tablet, in that there is neither GPS nor cellular capability.

So the location has to be by some other means than GPS.

You didn't forget, it was very clear. It's just that a lot of people
would rather answer some other question, not the one you actually asked.

Meanie[_2_] March 30th 18 11:25 PM

On 3/30/2018 5:48 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Thu, 29 Mar 2018 19:57:31 -0600, schrieb rbowman:

An app can query the GPS in your tablet and plot the position using
local geodata that was downloaded when you were connected.

This would make sense but I must have forgotten to mention this is a
WiFi-only tablet, in that there is neither GPS nor cellular capability.

So the location has to be by some other means than GPS.

How about telling us the tablet brand and model...., contact the
manufacturer and ask them if it has GPS.

Meanie[_2_] March 30th 18 11:27 PM

On 3/30/2018 5:40 PM, Tim wrote:
Meanie wrote in :

[...]

Are you able to use an offline map app such as Copilot?

rbowman March 31st 18 02:23 AM

wrote:

[...]

Hey, it's Apple and they can do not wrong. The GPS circuitry is in the
phone module; no phone module, no GPS. Standalone GPS receivers are
inexpensive but if you buy the cheap iPad you're not going to get one.
Cough up the $150 clams.

I recently saw a cartoon where if Apple was selling chocolate Easter
rabbits, the head and ears would be extra cost options. The solid head
option would be $100 more than the hollow head.

rbowman March 31st 18 02:35 AM

On 03/30/2018 01:35 PM, Meanie wrote:

Apple is a greedy control freak. They prefer to sell devices with
specific hardware and space to gain revenues.

Playing armchair psychologist I think Apple users are the sort of people
who like nice safe spaces where they won't be triggered by unapproved
thoughts and the only choice they have to make it which Apple product to
buy. Sad.

Ragnusen Ultred March 31st 18 03:40 AM

Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 18:27:28 -0400, schrieb Meanie:

Are you able to use an offline map app such as Copilot?

This is a simple technical question, which only needs technical answers.

I have been working deeply on Adobe Illustrator and five other projects, so
I haven't fully tested yet how Google Maps knows where we are and how
Google Maps routes without either cellular or GPS being available.

One thing I tested quickly though is the following, which needs to be
confirmed on the road, since I was at home at the time of testing this
where each test is started after rebooting the iPad.

1. Location could not be determined
Routing appears to not work (reporting "offline - touch to retry")
Route Preview appears to work just fine
a. Wi-Fi = off
b. Bluetooth = off
c. Airplane mode = on
d. GPS does not exist
e. Cellular does not exist
f. Settings Google Maps Location While Using the App = checked
g. Settings Google Maps Notifications Allow Notification = on
h. Settings Google Maps Background App Refresh = on
i. Google offline maps already previously downloaded using "OK MAPS"

2. Location could not be determined
Routing appears to not work (reporting "offline - touch to retry")
Route Preview appears to work just fine
a. Wi-Fi = off
b. Bluetooth = off
c. Airplane mode = off === this is the only change from above
d. GPS does not exist
e. Cellular does not exist
f. Settings Google Maps Location While Using the App = checked
g. Settings Google Maps Notifications Allow Notification = on
h. Settings Google Maps Background App Refresh = on
i. Google offline maps already previously downloaded using "OK MAPS"

3. Location could not be determined
Routing appears to not work (reporting "offline - touch to retry")
Route Preview appears to work just fine
a. Wi-Fi = off
b. Bluetooth = on === this is the only change from above
c. Airplane mode = off
d. GPS does not exist
e. Cellular does not exist
f. Settings Google Maps Location While Using the App = checked
g. Settings Google Maps Notifications Allow Notification = on
h. Settings Google Maps Background App Refresh = on
i. Google offline maps already previously downloaded using "OK MAPS"

4. Location was extremely accurate
Routing appears to work just fine
Route Preview appears to work just fine
a. Wi-Fi = on === this is the only change from above
b. Bluetooth = on
c. Airplane mode = off
d. GPS does not exist
e. Cellular does not exist
f. Settings Google Maps Location While Using the App = checked
g. Settings Google Maps Notifications Allow Notification = on
h. Settings Google Maps Background App Refresh = on
i. Google offline maps already previously downloaded using "OK MAPS"

I need to test this on the road, so consider these preliminary results.

Ragnusen Ultred March 31st 18 03:54 AM

Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 22:56:27 +0100, schrieb Andy Burns:

You omit to say what O/S it is using.

I wasn't sure if it mattered which operating system the tablet is using
because I'm asking about Google Maps app location tracking without cellular
or GPS.
http://i.cubeupload.com/Prq1BQ.gif

But to answer your question clearly, this is an Apple iOS 11.2.6 tablet
bought only a month ago so I'm still in the setup and organization phase
where I was surprised that Google Maps routed and tracked fine without any
GPS or cellular existing.
http://i.cubeupload.com/PXDpGA.gif

Retired[_2_] March 31st 18 03:55 AM

On 3/30/18 10:40 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 18:27:28 -0400, schrieb Meanie:

Are you able to use an offline map app such as Copilot?

This is a simple technical question, which only needs technical answers.

I have been working deeply on Adobe Illustrator and five other
projects, so
I haven't fully tested yet how Google Maps knows where we are and how
Google Maps routes without either cellular or GPS being available.

One thing I tested quickly though is the following, which needs to be
confirmed on the road, since I was at home at the time of testing this
where each test is started after rebooting the iPad.

1. Location could not be determined
Â* Routing appears to not work (reporting "offline - touch to retry")
Â* Route Preview appears to work just fine
Â* a. Wi-Fi = off
Â* b. Bluetooth = off
Â* c. Airplane mode = on
Â* d. GPS does not exist
Â* e. Cellular does not exist
Â* f. Settings Google Maps Location While Using the App = checked
Â* g. Settings Google Maps Notifications Allow Notification = on
Â* h. Settings Google Maps Background App Refresh = on
Â* i. Google offline maps already previously downloaded using "OK MAPS"

2. Location could not be determined
Â* Routing appears to not work (reporting "offline - touch to retry")
Â* Route Preview appears to work just fine
Â* a. Wi-Fi = off
Â* b. Bluetooth = off
Â* c. Airplane mode = offÂ* === this is the only change from above
Â* d. GPS does not exist
Â* e. Cellular does not exist
Â* f. Settings Google Maps Location While Using the App = checked
Â* g. Settings Google Maps Notifications Allow Notification = on
Â* h. Settings Google Maps Background App Refresh = on
Â* i. Google offline maps already previously downloaded using "OK MAPS"

3. Location could not be determined
Â* Routing appears to not work (reporting "offline - touch to retry")
Â* Route Preview appears to work just fine
Â* a. Wi-Fi = off
Â* b. Bluetooth = on === this is the only change from above
Â* c. Airplane mode = off Â* d. GPS does not exist
Â* e. Cellular does not exist
Â* f. Settings Google Maps Location While Using the App = checked
Â* g. Settings Google Maps Notifications Allow Notification = on
Â* h. Settings Google Maps Background App Refresh = on
Â* i. Google offline maps already previously downloaded using "OK MAPS"

4. Location was extremely accurate
Â* Routing appears to work just fine
Â* Route Preview appears to work just fine
Â* a. Wi-Fi = onÂ* === this is the only change from above
Â* b. Bluetooth = on Â* c. Airplane mode = off Â* d. GPS does not exist
Â* e. Cellular does not exist
Â* f. Settings Google Maps Location While Using the App = checked
Â* g. Settings Google Maps Notifications Allow Notification = on
Â* h. Settings Google Maps Background App Refresh = on
Â* i. Google offline maps already previously downloaded using "OK MAPS"

I need to test this on the road, so consider these preliminary results.

Perhaps #4 can be explained by:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad#I...t_connectivity

"The iPad can use Wi-Fi network trilateration from Skyhook Wireless to
provide location information to applications such as Google Maps."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyhook_Wireless

"Skyhook is a mobile location services company based in Boston, MA
that specializes in location positioning, context and intelligence."

Ragnusen Ultred March 31st 18 04:00 AM

Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 17:52:41 -0400, schrieb nospam:

you've been told how it works on many, many occasions.

You just make everything up, like what you just said.

To prove that statement, simply point to the location where anyone was
"told this information", and especially to the "many occasions".

What's that?
You can't?

I know. You just made it up. Like you constantly do.

You just make everything up.
Have you no sense of credibility?

Anyway, you clearly don't know the answer even though this is a simple
technical question, so moving on, I turned off everything I could as the
starting point, where, under that specific circumstance, the Google Maps
app could not track the location.
https://cubeupload.com/im/8urJSE.gif

However, when I started turning stuff on, even without any GPS or cellular
functionality on the tablet,
https://cubeupload.com/im/ndWTJU.gif

So, the end result, for sms and anyone else contemplating purchasing this
128GB 9.7" WiFi-only tablet which I bought three of at Costco about a month
ago for $300, the Google Map app /does/ appear to be able to route even
though the table does not have a GPS or cellular functionality.

Ragnusen Ultred March 31st 18 04:08 AM

Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 18:25:25 -0400, schrieb Meanie:

How about telling us the tablet brand and model...., contact the
manufacturer and ask them if it has GPS.

Just to confirm, the tablet is the cheapest recent Apple 9.7-inch 128GB
WiFi-only tablet, which I bought three of at Costco, where I gave two away
as gifts, and kept one to learn more about it and to help the others use
it. https://cubeupload.com/im/wnaHgc.gif

Currently I have only loaded the following freeware map apps for off trail
and on-road tracking and routing.
https://cubeupload.com/im/QLTUDM.gif

At that cheap price of only $300, the tablet doesn't have cellular or GPS
capabilities, so I had assumed that the tablet couldn't do map routing on
the road, but it turns out that it can do map routing on the road even
without GPS or cellular signal.
https://cubeupload.com/im/ndWTJU.gif

So I'm just asking a simple technical question of /how/ it does that.
https://cubeupload.com/im/ErUuG6.gif

Sometimes, it gives me the following error:
https://cubeupload.com/im/8urJSE.gif

At other times, it does only a preview but not an active route:
https://cubeupload.com/im/Prq1BQ.gif

And yet, it routes at other times.

So I'm just asking someone to explain how that happens, where all the
childish silly semantic games should be left for the Apple children to
play.

Ragnusen Ultred March 31st 18 04:15 AM

Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 11:34:48 -0400, schrieb nospam:

nope. it means an app is using location services to obtain the user's
location, which can be done without a hardware gps (and even if there
is a hardware gps, it's not always used)

Even though nospam always just guesses so he has a hit rate of about a 33%
(or an F in any classroom), he's actually right, by sheer luck, on this
guess of his.

The tablet /can/ route and track even without having any GPS or cellular
capability.

You have to turn location services on in the Google Map settings.
https://cubeupload.com/im/ErUuG6.gif

In addition, it helps to turn notifications on for the Google Map app.
https://cubeupload.com/im/ndWTJU.gif

At that point, even with no GPS and no cellular capability, the tablet can
actually route and track and do previews, as long as you've previously
downloaded the offline Google Maps of the desired area.
https://cubeupload.com/im/Prq1BQ.gif

The only technical question here is how Google does this, where it's clear
that WiFi is involved.
https://cubeupload.com/im/S79QqL.gif

Because without WiFi, Google can't seem to figure anything out.
https://cubeupload.com/im/8urJSE.gif

So, even after the Apple children have buzzed the picnic like an annoying
set of miserable gnats, the question remains which of the two methods
Google Maps is using for the location services.

1. Is Google using the geolocation of the *connected* WiFi access point?
2. Or is Google using the geolocation of the *unconnected* Wi-Fi APs?

NOTE: When you're on the road, you won't be connected to anything but
wide-open access points, so that's why the answer to the question matters.

Ragnusen Ultred March 31st 18 04:17 AM

Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 15:33:47 -0400, schrieb Meanie:

I have to stand somewhat corrected. The above mention of Apple products
(iPads) put my mindset on that, whereas you never mentioned iPad but
simply tablets. Therefore, it's very possible other tablet brands have
GPS within their WiFi only devices. I can only attest to iPads who don't.

I understand that there are brands of tablets, but we're all talking about
the Google Map app, and "a" tablet that doesn't have cellular or GPS but
that does have GPS.

The question remains which of the two methods the Google Maps app is using

Ragnusen Ultred March 31st 18 04:18 AM

Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 21:40:34 GMT, schrieb Tim:

Both my Nexus 7 (2013) and my ASUS Zenpad S 8 are wifi only and have GPS.
What I have done in the past was to select an area in Google Maps and
download it to my tablet. Maps will then use that downloaded map and
tablet's GPS to track my location on the map and give turning directions if
I have asked for them.

Once you have GPS, or if you have cellular, which I have for free for life
on all my other tablets, then everything is easy.

The hard part is to track and route without GPS and without cellular.

Hence, the question remains which of the two methods the Google Maps app is

Paul Colquhoun March 31st 18 04:36 AM

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 11:34:48 -0400, nospam wrote:
| In article , Paul
| Colquhoun wrote:
|
| | Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was
| | "tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does
| | not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability.
| | http://i.cubeupload.com/jOw0fO.gif
|
| That screen shot is from an iPad. Notice the little arrow up in the top
| right corner, next to the 18% battery indicator? That means GPS is
| active.
|
| nope. it means an app is using location services to obtain the user's
| location, which can be done without a hardware gps (and even if there
| is a hardware gps, it's not always used).
|
| I don't think Apple have ever made an iPad without a GPS chip.
|
| they did and still do.
|
| wifi-only ipads do not have gps or cellular.

My mistake. Not sure where I got that idea, I just thought GPS chips
were cheap & plentiful.