Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carpenter ant treatments for walls?

Saw my first carpenter ant today. There's been a lot of
tree maintenance in my vicinity lately. I suspect the
ants are restless.

Years ago, I had carpenter ants and the exterminator
put liquid insecticide in the walls. Don't remember what it
was, but likely banned these days.

I've been using bifenthrin as an outdoor perimeter spray.
Should I inject something inside the walls. I don't want to
use something repellant if what I need is bait.
And I certainly don't want to poison myself.

What's current DIY practice for carpenter ants in homes?
At this point, I'm thinking more prevention than cure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 21:08:09 -0700, mike wrote:

Saw my first carpenter ant today. There's been a lot of
tree maintenance in my vicinity lately. I suspect the
ants are restless.

Years ago, I had carpenter ants and the exterminator
put liquid insecticide in the walls. Don't remember what it
was, but likely banned these days.

I've been using bifenthrin as an outdoor perimeter spray.
Should I inject something inside the walls. I don't want to
use something repellant if what I need is bait.
And I certainly don't want to poison myself.

What's current DIY practice for carpenter ants in homes?
At this point, I'm thinking more prevention than cure.

If you have mulch around the house, particularly against the house,
start by treating that.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jon jon is offline

replying to mike, jon wrote:
Hot shot liquid baits (clear plastic or glass semicircles) placed around
inside and amdro perimeter bait sprinkled around the outside.

You are correct you don't want to repel them you want to attract and kill them

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-1162515-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 15:14:02 GMT, jon
m wrote:

replying to mike, jon wrote:
Hot shot liquid baits (clear plastic or glass semicircles) placed around
inside and amdro perimeter bait sprinkled around the outside.

You are correct you don't want to repel them you want to attract and kill them

The problem is finding a bait they will actually eat. I haven't seen
an ant that would eat Andro or Terro in 3 decades around here. As you
use different baits, the ants learn not to eat that stuff. Sugar based
bait is useless. I can pour a pile of sugar on the counter and the
ants won't touch it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/29/2018 12:08 AM, mike wrote:
Saw my first carpenter ant today.Â* There's been a lot of
tree maintenance in my vicinity lately. I suspect the
ants are restless.

Years ago, I had carpenter ants and the exterminator
put liquid insecticide in the walls.Â* Don't remember what it
was, but likely banned these days.

I've been using bifenthrin as an outdoor perimeter spray.
Should I inject something inside the walls.Â* I don't want to
use something repellant if what I need is bait.
And I certainly don't want to poison myself.

What's current DIY practice for carpenter ants in homes?
At this point, I'm thinking more prevention than cure.

Don't know about carpenter ants but we were plagued by ants in recent
years but a Termidor treatment for termites stopped them. We never had
termites but neighbors did and I saw them in wood close to the house.
In previous years I had used to spray the perimeter of the house every
year with diazinone every year but like all stuff that works for the
home owner, the EPA banned it.

You might check this companies products out:

https://www.domyown.com/

I bought pre-emergent herbicide from them (free shipping) that I just
put down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 21:08:09 -0700, mike wrote:

Saw my first carpenter ant today. There's been a lot of
tree maintenance in my vicinity lately. I suspect the
ants are restless.

Years ago, I had carpenter ants and the exterminator
put liquid insecticide in the walls. Don't remember what it
was, but likely banned these days.

I've been using bifenthrin as an outdoor perimeter spray.
Should I inject something inside the walls. I don't want to
use something repellant if what I need is bait.
And I certainly don't want to poison myself.

What's current DIY practice for carpenter ants in homes?
At this point, I'm thinking more prevention than cure.

You can use Boric Acid pretty liberally without a lot of worry. Don't
leave a lot of it where a pet can get at it but a dusting or cups of
it spread around is about as safe as you can get for an insecticide.