Posted to alt.home.repair

Default FLORIDA CARPENTER ANT problem on outside of house

I have an ant problem that I ignore every summer, but I am about to
have my first child and am taking care of loads of things around the
house that I have been putting off, so I figured I would take care of
this too...

I live in central Alabama. Hot and ussually humid. Black ant hills and
fire ant hills in my yard are annoying, but I live with them. I dont
run around in my yard so they dont bother me. I just run over them
with a lawn mower, laugh about it, and avoid the area for about a
day.

Luckily, it hasnt rained here in weeks so they are very dormant now
(and pretty ticked off! MUHAHAHA!)

However, I have a 3rd type of ant which I assume to be a "FLORIDA
CARPENTER ANT" (more details he http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/carp.htm
)

they are black and red. Not small, but certainly not 1950s-era horror
movie size either.

I rarely see them on the ground but mostly see them on my fascia board
around my house. I may even spot them slipping in and out a small
crack in my facia boards (where they meet) around my house. My first
reaction is "They live in my house!". I freak out, then realize I have
NEVER seen an ant in my house (termites are a different story, but
never an ant...knock on semi-digested wood), so they don't bother me,
I dont bother them. But at this point, it's just plain unsettling to
think about. I dont walk much in my addic, so I cant say if they live
there or not, but I will say (And this may be the problem) that I have
gutters... that, yes (hanging my head in shame) do collect water from
time to time... okay, much of the time. And I can only assume these
ants are digging that seemingly endless water supply which is how they
can survive so far off the ground...

Do any of you know-more-than-me people have any suggestions for
killing these outdoor pests? I hate to think of them creating a colony
within the wood of my home... albeit, they arent coming IN my house,
but wait till that one wise ant realizes that the box of ceral in teh
cupboard isnt all that far away and tells all his buddies!

Ive heard of Terro and people seem to have good luck with it, but my
issue is outside and pretty much on the top half of my house.. tried
amdro... and ive literally seen the red ants pick it up, move it a
foot or so away from the mount, and come back to move another... it is
like they got the memo that it is poison.

thanks SO MUCH in advance!
Jazz Mann

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since the first issue is to determine whether there really is
a carpenter ant issue, I suggest making sure that's what they are.

Thorax profile is the easiest way to tell.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ng/DK1015.html

And make sure you're not engaging in wishful thinking about
how after all these seasons they have not decide to walk in.

On Mar 30, 5:27 pm, "Jazz" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Mar 30, 3:27 pm, "Jazz" wrote:
[...]

From reading the article, I'd be less worried about the ants and more

worried about what is attracting them since the article states
"Carpenter Ants often nest in moist or rotting wood". That also
applies to termites.
I also live in rural central AL and often come in contact with nests
of red or black carpenter ants, but rarely see the Florida variety.
And luckily they have been outside and never in the house. It's
interesting to watch them come pouring out of the nest on a food drive
- looks just like the videos of army ants on the march.
Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jazz writes:

Do any of you know-more-than-me people have any suggestions for
killing these outdoor pests?

Why bother, if they aren't hurting you or your house.

I've heard they keep termites away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Do any of you know-more-than-me people have any suggestions for
killing these outdoor pests? I hate to think of them creating a colony
within the wood of my home... albeit, they arent coming IN my house,
but wait till that one wise ant realizes that the box of ceral in teh
cupboard isnt all that far away and tells all his buddies!

Ive heard of Terro and people seem to have good luck with it, but my
issue is outside and pretty much on the top half of my house.. tried
amdro... and ive literally seen the red ants pick it up, move it a
foot or so away from the mount, and come back to move another... it is
like they got the memo that it is poison.

thanks SO MUCH in advance!
Jazz Mann

Amdro is great for our fire ants - have to be very careful not to
disturb them by dumping on the mound. Sprinkle a little bit around
mounds when rain not expected for a couple of days. The prefer dry, hot
areas with some shelter - along walks and pavers, mainly.

Carpenter ants on your fascia most likely means you have some wood
damaged by moisture - rotted. Don't call an exterminator, call someone
to repair whatever is their nesting place. BTDT. It is possible they
just transit the house on way to rotted tree branch - they are easy to
track to locate nests and they forage at dusk. We had loads of them
around our condo, due to various neglected maint. problems. Cleaned
those up and no more carpenter ants. Some residents dumped poison by
the bag full, with no effect. I have read good authorities that suggest
mixing up boric acid, sugar and water (Terro) to bait them outdoors, but
that also had no effect and was a PIA.

Congratulations on the new pest )

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do any of you know-more-than-me people have any suggestions for
killing these outdoor pests? I hate to think of them creating a colony
within the wood of my home... albeit, they arent coming IN my house,
but wait till that one wise ant realizes that the box of ceral in teh
cupboard isnt all that far away and tells all his buddies!

Ive heard of Terro and people seem to have good luck with it, but my
issue is outside and pretty much on the top half of my house.. tried
amdro... and ive literally seen the red ants pick it up, move it a
foot or so away from the mount, and come back to move another... it is
like they got the memo that it is poison.

thanks SO MUCH in advance!
Jazz Mann

My favorite way of killing them is with a bait called Combat Ant
Killing Gel. Dont buy the Roach Killing Gel of the same name.

Its sold at Ace Hardware and it used to be at Home Depot but all I've
seen lately is a shelf space with a tag, but the shelf's always been
empty.

dickm

Posted to alt.home.repair

dicko wrote:
[...]

In my experience with carpenter ants (Florida), they are much more a
symptom than a problem - much more important to find out WHY they are in
a structure than to bait and poison them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The issue is that I never see them on the ground.

Was just cleaning my gutters today. I saw them just sitting ont eh
gutters or facia board doing nothing... like they were sleeping! There
is no water in teh gutters, but I can tell some of my facia board (due
to improper gutter installation) is rotting..

Went to a farm supply store with a few of the carpenter ants in a
ziplock thinking they could prperly identify them, no luck, he just
offered me somethign that killed them on contact and no bait..

Even if I had a bait, where would I place it? In my gutters? There is
supposed to be rain here for the next 3 days starting tonight... is
there a bait that can stick to the side of facia board?

Do I just need to cave in, call my exterminator, remove my gutters,
and replace rotted facia board?

On Mar 31, 12:19 pm, Norminn wrote:
dicko wrote:
[...]

a structure than to bait and poison them.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jazz wrote:
The issue is that I never see them on the ground.

Was just cleaning my gutters today. I saw them just sitting ont eh
gutters or facia board doing nothing... like they were sleeping! There
is no water in teh gutters, but I can tell some of my facia board (due
to improper gutter installation) is rotting..

Went to a farm supply store with a few of the carpenter ants in a
ziplock thinking they could prperly identify them, no luck, he just
offered me somethign that killed them on contact and no bait..

Even if I had a bait, where would I place it? In my gutters? There is
supposed to be rain here for the next 3 days starting tonight... is
there a bait that can stick to the side of facia board?

Do I just need to cave in, call my exterminator, remove my gutters,
and replace rotted facia board?

Forget about the ants .. fix the rotted fascia and make sure roof and
rafters are dry and sound. Termite inspection a good idea. I will
repeat .. the ants arent the major problem. The rotted fascia is the
problem. If you feel you really MUST put out bait, then wait for dusk
and place the bait on their trails .. easy to trail them. Hubby and I
spent a good deal of our time watching various insect pests when he was
condo building manager. Disturb a carpenter ant nest with a hard stream
of water from the hose and they come pouring out, carrying their babies.

They also nest in rotted limbs and cavities in trees .. one good reason
for keeping tree limbs off the house/roof. They occ. come indoors for
food, but only when access is easy. We had rotted limbs in hedges,
rotted fence, rotted wood trim on building 8 yrs. ago, so had loads of
carpenter ants. When we got things cleaned up and repaired, the ants
were gone. They like leaf and vegetable debris, so sometimes the palms
are full of them, but that is a problem for the tree trimmer.. he can
move very fast when he must )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds good Norminn... problem is, I have gutters around the house,
and to replace the facia board, ill have to remove the gutters (Im
finding now that gutters cause more problems than they solve...)

We have termites, as every home int he neighborhood does, and i have a
bond with my exterminators, which i love. I got the gutters to prevent
water from sitting around the house, which termites seem to love...
now that I have them, no termites around the house, but now i have
carpenter ants... ah, home ownership...

On Mar 31, 1:36 pm, Norminn wrote:
Jazz wrote:
[...]

move very fast when he must )- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jazz" wrote in message
oups.com...

[snip]
However, I have a 3rd type of ant which I assume to be a "FLORIDA
CARPENTER ANT" (more details he
http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/carp.htm
)

they are black and red. Not small, but certainly not 1950s-era horror
movie size either.

I rarely see them on the ground but mostly see them on my fascia board
around my house. I may even spot them slipping in and out a small
crack in my facia boards (where they meet) around my house.

[snip]

If your infestation is like most, it's because they migrated into your walls
or attic at some time when there was an easy and available route. The
suggestion that you probably have fascia damage is a good one, but I suspect
that you have an ant's nest either in your walls or attic, and that they
travel to the outside of the house rather than have access into your living
area.

In our case, one evening I discovered a parade of ants coming from an
outdoor nest, up a section of garden hose that was lying across a downspout,
up the downspout, across the fascia to a specific opening in the soffit.
This nest never invaded the living space, but apparently thrived via access
to the outside, until the next summer when they swarmed, and at that time
discovered a tiny opening into the channel of an aluminum window frame where
the fliers crawled down the frame and into the living space through a small
screw hole in the frame. It wasn't until they swarmed that we knew for sure
there was a nest in the attic.

Two suggestions:

A. At dusk or shortly thereafter, with a good strong flashlight walk around
the entire house looking for ants or trails of ants on your siding, fascia,
gutters, downspouts, etc. Also check around where you've seen them going
in/out of the fascia to see if you can define a trail they are following.
During the daytime, you may find little black marks around places where
they've gone through the fascia. If possible, carefully and thoroughly also
inspect your attic, especially at/after dark.

B. Once you've determined where the ants may be located, and they possibly
are in your attic, you may be able to kill them off with some aerosol bombs
that are available at HD, Lowes, etc. Also, seal up the access points, and
remove or block their path from the outside. If they're in the walls of the
house you may want to get professional help in getting rid of them.
Regards --

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

dicko wrote:

My favorite way of killing them is with a bait called Combat Ant
Killing Gel. Dont buy the Roach Killing Gel of the same name.

Its sold at Ace Hardware and it used to be at Home Depot but all I've
seen lately is a shelf space with a tag, but the shelf's always been
empty.

dickm

jazz, I had mentioned to you on another forum about Maxforce Carp Ant
gel. The Combat that dicko speaks of may work as well. Maxforce is the
professional division, Combat is sold to homeowners. The only real
difference will be the attractant used so if the ants do eat it, it
should work fine.

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Jazz wrote:

The issue is that I never see them on the ground.

Was just cleaning my gutters today. I saw them just sitting ont eh
gutters or facia board doing nothing... like they were sleeping! There
is no water in teh gutters, but I can tell some of my facia board (due
to improper gutter installation) is rotting..

Went to a farm supply store with a few of the carpenter ants in a
ziplock thinking they could prperly identify them, no luck, he just
offered me somethign that killed them on contact and no bait..

Even if I had a bait, where would I place it? In my gutters? There is
supposed to be rain here for the next 3 days starting tonight... is
there a bait that can stick to the side of facia board?

Do I just need to cave in, call my exterminator, remove my gutters,
and replace rotted facia board?

Make sure no tree limbs or hedges are touching the structure, trimming
them back makes a big difference. As far as moisture, they get plenty
from the dew...sprinkler system, condensation, etc. If you went the
route of granules just sprinkling them about the area you see them near.
If you use the gel you should be able to get some into the opening
itself they are entering. As far as knowing where and why they are
there, good luck. Would guess well over 80% of all carpenter ant jobs I
do have nothing to do with wood at all, just a hollow chamber that
provides warmth.

If you call an exterminator and he gives you a song and dance on how
they will destroy your home or that you have to sign up for a years
contract before you can get rid of them, show them the door. Don't fall
for scare tactics!!

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Mar 2007 15:27:51 -0700, "Jazz" wrote:

[...]

Some personal story on http://www.Carpenter-Ant-Killer.com might
help.

tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

One product that worked well for me. Liquid ant bait from
www.gardensalive.com

Blue liquid in a squirt bottle. Squirted some onto the drink
coaster (well, I was using a tupperware lid) on my kitchen table.
Couple minutes later, I had a line of ants leaning over the edge,
slurping the blue liquid down. That was probably five years ago,
and I have seen hardly one ant since then.

Don't order everything all at once, they send more catalogs to
your adress, and very often have "buy $25 in stuff and get $25 in
stuff for free" coupons on their catalogs.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Jazz" wrote in message
oups.com...
: I have an ant problem that I ignore every summer, but I am
about to
:
: thanks SO MUCH in advance!
: Jazz Mann
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

You say this blue ant bait is what you used for carpenter ants or some
other breed?

On Apr 1, 8:45 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
One product that worked well for me. Liquid ant bait fromwww.gardensalive.com

Blue liquid in a squirt bottle. Squirted some onto the drink
coaster (well, I was using a tupperware lid) on my kitchen table.
Couple minutes later, I had a line of ants leaning over the edge,
slurping the blue liquid down. That was probably five years ago,
and I have seen hardly one ant since then.

Don't order everything all at once, they send more catalogs to
your adress, and very often have "buy $25 in stuff and get $25 in
stuff for free" coupons on their catalogs.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

"Jazz" wrote in message

oups.com...
: I have an ant problem that I ignore every summer, but I am
about to
:
: thanks SO MUCH in advance!
: Jazz Mann
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT: I FOUDN THEIR HOLES! (Carp. ants)

I never thought I would be happy and excited to see carpanter ants
going in and out of my house but I am!
Okay, so I see where their holes are and now I need to know what
product to put in those holes... suggestions!

On Mar 30, 5:27 pm, "Jazz" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Plenty of Northerners realize that a big snow load sliding off can
take the gutters with it. Strategically placed evergreens along and
forward of the drip line will do what needs to be done, just make
sure you have good positive slope from the building.

On Mar 31, 3:00 pm, "Jazz" wrote:
Sounds good Norminn... problem is, I have gutters around the house,
and to replace the facia board, ill have to remove the gutters (Im
finding now that gutters cause more problems than they solve...)

Most effective Carpenter ant spray... blueman Home Repair 5 August 5th 05 09:59 AM
Ant Problem channy UK diy 8 May 23rd 05 09:44 PM
Ant problem channy UK diy 1 May 23rd 05 09:20 PM
ant problem channy UK diy 1 May 23rd 05 12:10 AM
how long to eradicate carpenter ant nest [email protected] Home Ownership 1 February 25th 05 04:18 AM