NSN

Default Unusual NiCad Question

I have ordered two 9.6 volt battery packs for my Craftsman waterproof
submersible scrubber. (Great item .. I use it to keep the waterline
of my pool clean).

The battery packs should be here next week and it looks as if I will
not be using them until next summer.

I am sure that they will arrive in a virgin state, uncharged, with
instructions to charge initially for 12 hours.

Question: Should I let them sit as is until next summer or should I
charge them up and then recharge every two months. I have many items
that use NiCads and I routinely charge them every two months to keep
them from deteriorating when not in use for long time periods.

All suggestions appreciated.

Norm

m Ransley

New Nicads should be left as is till you use them . They are stored
better discharged as they will come, and never run them dead. When a
motor just slows , the datteries should be considered dead. Not when it
stops. NiCads are discharged at 1.2v per cell , further discharging can
reverse a cell and shortens life. Also dont overcharge them, a peak
charger should be used, When voltage decreases or heat increases they
are fully charged. Ive never got Thousands of charges on nicads If
lucky you get 1000. But used carefully I have 18 yr old Makita packs.

HRL

wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:24:34 GMT, "Michael Daly"
wrote:

On 23-Jul-2004, wrote:

Question: Should I let them sit as is until next summer or should I
charge them up and then recharge every two months. I have many items
that use NiCads and I routinely charge them every two months to keep
them from deteriorating when not in use for long time periods.

All suggestions appreciated.

Norm

Return them for a refund, and reorder next spring. Batteries, whether
used or not, have a finite shelf life. Rechargeable batteries are not
exempt!

Nonsense - NiCds, if properly cared for, will last for a couple of

thousand
charge/discharge cycles. If you lose a few cycles during the next year,

big
deal. I've had NiCds last for almost a decade under regular use.

However, it is best to keep the batteries in use. You want to discharge
them under typical use conditions and then fully recharge them. What if
you run them down in the scrubber once a month and then recharge? It
should be under load, so putting the scrubber in a bucket might do -

would
that wear out the scrubber in some way (brushes or whatever it uses to

clean
with)? Another approach would be to use a resistor or some other load to
discharge the batteries at a typical use rate.

Mike

Nicads stored uncharged can be kept indefinitely. When stored charged they
self discharge at about one or two percent a day. I expect an average life
is about 5 years but I have some that have lasted over 30 years. Some of
that time was uncharged.

m Ransley

Who was making and using nicads 30+ yrs ago thats 1974. I didnt think
Makita came out till early 80

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
m Ransley wrote:
Who was making and using nicads 30+ yrs ago thats 1974. I didnt think
Makita came out till early 80

Edmund Scientific was selling *surplus* ones circa 1966.

Andy Asberry

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:26:57 GMT, NSN wrote:

I have ordered two 9.6 volt battery packs for my Craftsman waterproof
submersible scrubber. (Great item .. I use it to keep the waterline
of my pool clean).

The battery packs should be here next week and it looks as if I will
not be using them until next summer.

I am sure that they will arrive in a virgin state, uncharged, with
instructions to charge initially for 12 hours.

Question: Should I let them sit as is until next summer or should I
charge them up and then recharge every two months. I have many items
that use NiCads and I routinely charge them every two months to keep
them from deteriorating when not in use for long time periods.

All suggestions appreciated.

Norm

Read what Red says. www.rcbatteryclinic.com
HRL

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
ervers.com...
In article ,
m Ransley wrote:
Who was making and using nicads 30+ yrs ago thats 1974. I didnt think
Makita came out till early 80

Edmund Scientific was selling *surplus* ones circa 1966.

I have a Sonotone D Cell dated: 3-27-67 that is still working:

http://www.roger-russell.com/sonopg/sononst.htm

NICAD batteries have been around for a long time. Not certain just when
they were first developed. At least by the 1920s.

m Ransley

Well Mike Daley I dont know of any equipment that just quits on its own
before ruining a battery, or overdischarging it. Camcorders yes, But
tool makers make most of their money selling replacement batteries to
people that ruin them out of ignorance. When it starts to slow down it
is dead. But you are still able to run them till the equipment has
drained them completely., There is no saftey on tools I have for low
voltage.