Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Accessible-height toilet

I'm looking for an airbnb and I found one that under extra amenities
listed this:

Accessible-height toilet
The toilet seat is no higher than 17-19 inches from the floor

Huh? Is that an issue, toilet seats that are too high? For short
people?

I think the standard height is 17".

They sell extensions for toilet seats to make them higher, for people
who have a hard time sitting down, I guess.

Is it transferring from a wheel chair that is hard if the seat is
higher?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2018 1:18 PM, micky wrote:
I'm looking for an airbnb and I found one that under extra amenities
listed this:

Accessible-height toilet
The toilet seat is no higher than 17-19 inches from the floor

Huh? Is that an issue, toilet seats that are too high? For short
people?

I think the standard height is 17".

They sell extensions for toilet seats to make them higher, for people
who have a hard time sitting down, I guess.

Is it transferring from a wheel chair that is hard if the seat is
higher?

A lot of men over 50 are 12 months pregnant and it's hard for them stand up from the seated position. The extra 3 inches helps.

https://www.vitalitymedical.com/ez-a...ift-chair.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2018 1:18 PM, micky wrote:
I'm looking for an airbnb and I found one that under extra amenities
listed this:

Accessible-height toilet
The toilet seat is no higher than 17-19 inches from the floor

Huh? Is that an issue, toilet seats that are too high? For short
people?

I think the standard height is 17".

Standard height is 15. Comfort height is 18.
If you have back or knee problems, it makes a huge difference.

When I remodeled the bathrooms a few years ago I put the comfort height
in both. Makes life much better for my wife, but I like it too.

I'm considering moving and we looked at model homes yesterday. First
thing I'd change on the specs is comfort height.

Oh, it also makes it easier to transfer to and from a wheelchair.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:42:41 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 2/19/2018 1:18 PM, micky wrote:
I'm looking for an airbnb and I found one that under extra amenities
listed this:

Accessible-height toilet
The toilet seat is no higher than 17-19 inches from the floor

Huh? Is that an issue, toilet seats that are too high? For short
people?

I think the standard height is 17".

Standard height is 15. Comfort height is 18.

Does that include the seat?

If you have back or knee problems, it makes a huge difference.

When I remodeled the bathrooms a few years ago I put the comfort height
in both. Makes life much better for my wife, but I like it too.

I'm considering moving and we looked at model homes yesterday. First
thing I'd change on the specs is comfort height.

Oh, it also makes it easier to transfer to and from a wheelchair.

If it's 18"? What if it's higher than 19? More comfort? Lower legs
fall asleep? Worse for wheel chairs?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 19 Feb 2018 13:26:53 -0500, Dave Wallach
wrote:

On 2/19/2018 1:18 PM, micky wrote:
I'm looking for an airbnb and I found one that under extra amenities
listed this:

Accessible-height toilet
The toilet seat is no higher than 17-19 inches from the floor

Huh? Is that an issue, toilet seats that are too high? For short
people?

I think the standard height is 17".

They sell extensions for toilet seats to make them higher, for people
who have a hard time sitting down, I guess.

Is it transferring from a wheel chair that is hard if the seat is
higher?

A lot of men over 50 are 12 months pregnant and it's hard for them stand up from the seated position. The extra 3 inches helps.

https://www.vitalitymedical.com/ez-a...ift-chair.html

I thought it would be a joke, but it's not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/18 1:18 PM, micky wrote:
I'm looking for an airbnb and I found one that under extra amenities
listed this:

Accessible-height toilet
The toilet seat is no higher than 17-19 inches from the floor

Huh? Is that an issue, toilet seats that are too high? For short
people?

I think the standard height is 17".

They sell extensions for toilet seats to make them higher, for people
who have a hard time sitting down, I guess.

Is it transferring from a wheel chair that is hard if the seat is
higher?

And for those who are used to squatting over a hole in the floor,
there is this:

https://www.squattypotty.com/

or this

https://www.lillipad.co.nz/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/19/2018 1:18 PM, micky wrote:
I'm looking for an airbnb and I found one that under extra amenities
listed this:

Accessible-height toilet
The toilet seat is no higher than 17-19 inches from the floor

Huh? Is that an issue, toilet seats that are too high? For short
people?

I think the standard height is 17".

Standard height is 15. Comfort height is 18.

Does that include the seat?

Yes, to the top of the seat.

Oh, it also makes it easier to transfer to and from a wheelchair.

If it's 18"? What if it's higher than 19? More comfort? Lower legs
fall asleep? Worse for wheel chairs?

More than 19 would be too high for most of us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2018 6:56 PM, Retired wrote:

And for those who are used to squatting over a hole in the floor, there
is this:

https://www.squattypotty.com/

or this

https://www.lillipad.co.nz/

Our cleaning lady at work could not understand why the seat sometime had
footprints. We had some oriental women, usualy short that did it that
way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 13:18:31 -0500, micky
wrote:

I'm looking for an airbnb and I found one that under extra amenities
listed this:

Accessible-height toilet
The toilet seat is no higher than 17-19 inches from the floor

Huh? Is that an issue, toilet seats that are too high? For short
people?

I think the standard height is 17".

14.5 to 15 is standard.
17 is "accessible"

They sell extensions for toilet seats to make them higher, for people
who have a hard time sitting down, I guess.

Is it transferring from a wheel chair that is hard if the seat is
higher?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/19/2018 1:18 PM, micky wrote:
I'm looking for an airbnb and I found one that under extra amenities
listed this:

Accessible-height toilet
The toilet seat is no higher than 17-19 inches from the floor

Huh? Is that an issue, toilet seats that are too high? For short
people?

I think the standard height is 17".

Standard height is 15. Comfort height is 18.

Does that include the seat?

Yes, to the top of the seat.

Oh, it also makes it easier to transfer to and from a wheelchair.

If it's 18"? What if it's higher than 19? More comfort? Lower legs
fall asleep? Worse for wheel chairs?

More than 19 would be too high for most of us.

Try to find them over 17.5
Pretty difficult.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Our cleaning lady at work could not understand why the seat sometime had
footprints. We had some oriental women, usualy short that did it that
way.

Oh. I was thinking diving board.