Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is this deemed "accessible"

I have two gas ovens/grills to fit. a GasSafe man is doing the gas work.

I am sorting out the electrics.

According to installation instructions, the gas grill/ovens come with a
13A plug on a flying cable for powering the clock and the gas ignition
system.

It also says that the socket that the plug is plugged into must be
accessible for the purposes of checking the 13A fuse.

Now my question is it ok to put a socket directly behind the gas
oven/grill as for the purposes of access, one would just pull out the
gas grill/oven or must the socket be in an adjacent cabinet to said gas
oven/grill?

The same applies to the gas hob which again has a mains lead for the
ignition system, I could pull out the gas oven/grill thats directly
underneath the hob to access its mains lead......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2014 11:47, Stephen wrote:
I have two gas ovens/grills to fit. a GasSafe man is doing the gas work.

I am sorting out the electrics.

According to installation instructions, the gas grill/ovens come with a
13A plug on a flying cable for powering the clock and the gas ignition
system.

It also says that the socket that the plug is plugged into must be
accessible for the purposes of checking the 13A fuse.

Now my question is it ok to put a socket directly behind the gas
oven/grill as for the purposes of access, one would just pull out the
gas grill/oven or must the socket be in an adjacent cabinet to said gas
oven/grill?

The same applies to the gas hob which again has a mains lead for the
ignition system, I could pull out the gas oven/grill thats directly
underneath the hob to access its mains lead......

For that application, I would say behind the unit is adequately
accessible. Its unlikely you will need to get to the plug mid meal or
any other time it would be particularly onerous to pull the appliance out.

Having said that, if you are surface mounting the socket, then putting
it in an adjacent cupboard will save any problems with it hitting the
back of the oven.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

Whilst I agree it would be accessible, assuming that there will be a
suitable nearby cupboard I don't see the point. It'll turn a job of
minutes into a bit of faff.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 22:44:25 +0100, chris French wrote:

Whilst I agree it would be accessible, assuming that there will be a
suitable nearby cupboard I don't see the point. It'll turn a job of
minutes into a bit of faff.

And the void behind the oven might get rather warm. Possibly to the
detrimant of any electrical accesories. The supplied flex is no doubt
"heat resistant".

The instructions sort of imply that the makers don't expect the plug
to be behind the units, so that might not be "heat resistant".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
I have two gas ovens/grills to fit. a GasSafe man is doing the gas
work.
I am sorting out the electrics.

According to installation instructions, the gas grill/ovens come with
a 13A plug on a flying cable for powering the clock and the gas
ignition system.

It also says that the socket that the plug is plugged into must be
accessible for the purposes of checking the 13A fuse.

Now my question is it ok to put a socket directly behind the gas
oven/grill as for the purposes of access, one would just pull out the
gas grill/oven or must the socket be in an adjacent cabinet to said
gas oven/grill?

The same applies to the gas hob which again has a mains lead for the
ignition system, I could pull out the gas oven/grill thats directly
underneath the hob to access its mains lead......

It's better to put it in a cabinet, it's isolated from any spills from pans
boiling over, it's accesible without removing the (possibly hot) oven, and
it won't protude behind the oven, keeping the oven away from the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2014 14:53, Phil L wrote:
Stephen wrote:
[...]

The bit about spills is worth noting - I spent ages identifying the
failed component in a neighbours cooker that was causing a RCD trip. Its
only when I had disconnected *everything* inside it, that I worked out
that just the plug and flex alone was causing the trip. Turns out the
owner had washed down the tiles above the back of the cooker earlier,
and water had run down into the plug!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, April 21, 2014 11:47:00 AM UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
Now my question is it ok to put a socket directly behind the gas
oven/grill as for the purposes of access, one would just pull out the
gas grill/oven or must the socket be in an adjacent cabinet to said gas
oven/grill?

*preferably* in an adjacent cabinet. Unless your hob and oven are on bayonet hoses, moving them would entail disconnecting gas carrying parts.

It's also easier to gently pull the flex in an adjacent cabinet as the oven is pushed back in, preventing the flex being trapped or chafed.

Owain