Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I replace a Scully oil gauge myself?

My Scullly oil gauge doesn't work anymore, it's attached to a Ventalarm gauge
type VGA, I can unscrew the top plastic gauge and I can pull the inside metal
pole up and down with some resistance but it just returns to empty when the
gauge is back on even when the tank is full. I looked at replacement parts
and it looks like the entire top Ventalarm gauge that also houses the intake
pipe has to be removed, I was hoping I could just pull the mechanism up
through the hole where the plastic gauge screws in but doesn't look like I can
do that? Am I right? Should I have my oil company do it?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...f-1158695-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/18 7:14 AM, Judd wrote:
My Scullly oil gauge doesn't work anymore, it's attached to a Ventalarm
gauge
type VGA, I can unscrew the top plastic gauge and I can pull the inside
metal
pole up and down with some resistance but it just returns to empty when the
gauge is back on even when the tank is full.Â* I looked at replacement parts
and it looks like the entire top Ventalarm gauge that also houses the
intake
pipe has to be removed, I was hoping I could just pull the mechanism up
through the hole where the plastic gauge screws in but doesn't look like
I can
do that?Â* Am I right?Â* Should I have my oil company do it?

What would they charge, if anything?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2018 8:40 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 2/9/18 7:14 AM, Judd wrote:
My Scullly oil gauge doesn't work anymore, it's attached to a
Ventalarm gauge
type VGA, I can unscrew the top plastic gauge and I can pull the
inside metal
pole up and down with some resistance but it just returns to empty
when the
gauge is back on even when the tank is full.Â* I looked at replacement
parts
and it looks like the entire top Ventalarm gauge that also houses the
intake
pipe has to be removed, I was hoping I could just pull the mechanism up
through the hole where the plastic gauge screws in but doesn't look
like I can
do that?Â* Am I right?Â* Should I have my oil company do it?

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* What would they charge,Â* if anything?

Personally I have a contract on HVAC service and mine would do it as
part of the service.

I was interested in looking at it and it looks like something I could do
when I was younger. You can buy the parts but might have to deal with
things like rusted fittings. There are youtube videos on doing it. It
is like a lot of jobs that you can do yourself but pros can do better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Judd posted for all of us...

My Scullly oil gauge doesn't work anymore, it's attached to a Ventalarm gauge
type VGA, I can unscrew the top plastic gauge and I can pull the inside metal
pole up and down with some resistance but it just returns to empty when the
gauge is back on even when the tank is full. I looked at replacement parts
and it looks like the entire top Ventalarm gauge that also houses the intake
pipe has to be removed, I was hoping I could just pull the mechanism up
through the hole where the plastic gauge screws in but doesn't look like I can
do that? Am I right? Should I have my oil company do it?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...f-1158695-.htm

Wake up! You asked a similar question regarding your whistle. My answer is
the same; call the oil co.

--
Tekkie