Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing wax from toilet wax ring

I am getting rid of an unneeded toilet. That tiny bathroom is never used
and would serve much better as a closet. I was smelling an odor from
that room, and realized it was sewer odor, because the water had dried
up in that toilet, as well as the water in the sink trap too.

The sink is easy, just remove it and cap the pipe. To remove the toilet
I bought a plug made to seal the toilet flange, and now have that in
place. (For resale value, I am not removing the flange or pipes, someone
else may want that as a bathroom again). (Maybe I should call it a
powder room, there is no bathtub in there).

Anyhow, the toilet is removed the flange is plugged, but there is still
wax on the flange and nearby floor. I'm looking for something that will
remove all of that wax. Probably a solvent of some sort. Anyone know of
anything for that purpose?

I plan to just screw down some 3/8" plywood over the flange and paint
it. It's just going to be a storage closet.... But I'd still like to
clean up that wax first.

My thoughts are gasoline or charcoal lighter fluid. I'm not real fond of
using gasoline in the house though, but I know to do it safely. But I
am hoping to find something safer, and less odorous. (Dish detergent
dont work, I already tried that). Yes, I did remove the bulk of the wax
with a scraper and paper towels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/18 12:44 PM, wrote:
[...]

Stiff putty knife

--
Before beginning, plan carefully.
- Marcus Tullius Cicero
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 11:44:12 -0600, wrote:

[...]

Hot water and soap. Boil some water and use a mop.

leaking toilet - changed wax ring 3 times Doobielicious Home Repair 8 August 10th 07 09:01 AM
Toilet Wax Ring twfsa Home Repair 6 April 15th 07 10:28 PM
New wax ring for toilet bowl? Tom The Great Home Repair 0 August 5th 06 09:55 PM
New wax ring for toilet bowl? [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 5th 06 09:48 PM
Toilet wax ring replacement JA Home Repair 13 May 26th 05 12:21 PM