Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New wax ring for toilet bowl?

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 09:01:43 -0700, Ike
wrote:

I only ask this question because I hate the thought of doing it and am
not sure it is necessary. We have a toilet on the second floor. It is
in a true water closet -- 3' x 5'. There is no sign of any leakage
around the toilet or on the first floor ceiling. However, once in
awhile, mostly when it is very hot upstairs, this tiny bathroom has an
unpleasant odor to it. This seems to happen even when to bowl has been
thoroughly scrubbed and sanitized. I am considering pulling the bowl
to see if the wax ring has some seepage. But, before I do, is it
possible that this odor is coming from a vent someplace or from the
sewer line?

IMHO:

I would check for dry traps first. See if you wash basin is the
source.

Removing the toilet to see if the wax ring needs replacing is kinda
weak. Meaning, once you removed the bowl, you have to replace the
ring.

So...... I would close all the windows. Put on the other exhaust
fans on. Now sniff around. See if you notice any air coming in
around the floor and bowl.

Just a guess, trying to prevent you having a fun time messin with wax
rings.

later,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com

Vibration Hollowing Bowl Barry N. Turner Woodturning 14 March 21st 06 03:29 AM
Mahogany Bowl Mishap Barry N. Turner Woodturning 23 August 14th 05 01:08 PM
Ring Main Wiring Mark Carver UK diy 31 March 7th 05 06:31 PM
When is a ring circuit not a ring circuit? Fitz UK diy 4 July 27th 04 11:53 PM