Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Removing wax from toilet wax ring

On 1/12/2018 12:44 PM, wrote:

Anyhow, the toilet is removed the flange is plugged, but there is still
wax on the flange and nearby floor. I'm looking for something that will
remove all of that wax. Probably a solvent of some sort. Anyone know of
anything for that purpose?

I plan to just screw down some 3/8" plywood over the flange and paint
it. It's just going to be a storage closet.... But I'd still like to
clean up that wax first.

My thoughts are gasoline or charcoal lighter fluid. I'm not real fond of
using gasoline in the house though, but I know to do it safely. But I
am hoping to find something safer, and less odorous. (Dish detergent
dont work, I already tried that). Yes, I did remove the bulk of the wax
with a scraper and paper towels.

Heat melts wax. Once heated you can wipe or scrape it better.