Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alternatives to cable TV

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 6:38:49 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 1/9/2018 4:13 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 1:10:14 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 1/9/2018 12:35 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 11:34:22 AM UTC-6, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 01/08/2018 11:29 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

My 32" LED TV has a VGA port and I use it as a computer monitor. I rarely use it in TV mode. ^_^
My 12-year-old 37" TV has one of those. The 32" I bought in November
2016 does not. Perhaps they have decided this input is obsolete, since
newer computers often have digital video out (HDMI/DVI).

[8~{} Uncle TV Monster
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

If you check the specs on different models, you will see that some have the VGA port and some don't. I like the connectivity choices because I was thinking of a dual monitor setup with two 32" LED sets. Right now I have a 22" Viewsonic monitor hooked up with my 32" LED TV to my desktop computer. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle View Monster
Â* I have a VGA to HDMI adapter on one computer , the 50" flat screen TV
set it's hooked to IS the monitor . I also have a 5.1 sound system
hooked to that TV , and it sounds MUCH better than the built-in speakers .
--
Snag

I've been contemplating a new video card for The Beast that has an HDMI output for the 32" TV along with a DVI connection for the Viewsonic monitor. I simply need to find one I can afford. I have a Creative surround sound system made for computers that I picked up on sale years ago and it sounds a lot better than puny little computer speakers. The Beast is a 2007 model that I bought used then put a Samsung EVO 2.5" SSD in it as drive C then 2 conventional 3.5" drives in carriers that can be swapped out in 5 minutes. What's great about the SSD is that it is FAST! When I first installed it with a minimum startup configuration, the system was ready to go within 15 seconds of plugging in the power cord and pushing the power button. I was really impressed by the speed. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Speedy Monster

Â* You're doing hot swaps ? I think the new mobo's I put in a couple of
boxes (rebuild frenzy a few months ago) support that . Pretty sure my
desktop won't . But then my desktop has a 1t drive , and it's nowhere
near full . TV server box has 2 of 'em ... the shop comp only has a pair
of 320's . I've "improved" every comp on the place except the wife's
laptop and 3 of the 4 desktops are custom builds .
--
Snag

I have the computer turned off when I remove a drive. I pull a latch on the top rear of the case and a side panel tilts out to be removed. There are two slots that the factory brackets slide out of after the power and data connectors are unplugged. I have the 250gb SSD in an adapter in one of the front 3.5" drive bays. Right now I have a 2tb and a 160gb in the 3.5" slots in the bottom of the case. The Beast is a hunk of steel that weighs 42lbs and it's a lot of fun to wrestle with but I enjoy the power of the quad processor and 8gb of main memory. It's the newest of my half dozen desktops. The only new computer I've ever bought besides those I assembled from parts is my little Win10 Lenovo stick computer. I was using it before I got Stinky to bring one of the desktops from the house which was infected with ransomware and several viruses because of a guest who looked for every nekid woman on the Internet he could find. I removed the hard drive, put it in an external case, plugged it into the little stick computer then ran Microsoft antivirus on it to make it useable again. It brought the Win Vista desktop back to life and I used it until I was able to get a replacement motherboard for The Beast. The little stick computer is pretty slick and can be used with an external drive but when I was using it all the time, I saved everything to Google Drive and MS One Drive. Instead of the enhanced remote, I used my old Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. ^_^

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideace.../dp/B01MQVDTX8

[8~{} Uncle Sticky Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/09/2018 11:37 AM, wrote:

They tend to be old NTSC shows, compressed into low def
digital tho (Grit, Laff etc)

Grit and Laff are available here, on subchannels. Strangely, the cable
does NOT carry them.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"My husband and I divorced over religious differences. He thought he was
God and I didn't."