M. Jakeman

Default Alternatives to asbestos flame-proof sheet

I need to create a flame barrier which must be thin (5mm approx) and
fairly strong. Asbestos sheet would have been ideal if only it was
still available.

What I need it for is to block a chimney off with it, diverting the
heat and fumes off to another flue. It'll be located fairly close
above - but not actually touching - the flames coming from a 'living
flame' gas fire immediately underneath.

Anyone know of a good substitute for asbestos sheet and where to
obtain it?

Thank you,
MJ
M. Jakeman

PS
By "sheet", I meant stiff board rather than felexible fabric...
Tim Sampson

M. Jakeman wrote:

Anyone know of a good substitute for asbestos sheet and where to
obtain it?

We got some stuff that is very similar from our local DIY shop. I think it's
actually concrete.

Cheers
Tim

The Natural Philosopher

Chris Oates wrote:

"M. Jakeman " wrote in message

PS
By "sheet", I meant stiff board rather than felexible fabric...

Supalux
Promatect
Vermiculux
Masterboard
Vicuclad

Multiboard

M. Jakeman

Thanks to everyone for the help. Anyone know where I can optain any of
the suggested materials? B&Q doesn't seem to stock it.

Jake

Steve

M. Jakeman wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the help. Anyone know where I can optain any of
the suggested materials? B&Q doesn't seem to stock it.

Jake

Try "Sheffield Insulation" http://www.sheffins.co.uk ??? We get quite a
bit of our refractory sheet from them,

Steve