Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tip: leg cramps and up all night peeing

On 2017-12-09, T wrote:

I drink down about 1/4 teaspoon of full spectrum sea salt before
bed. I only have to pee once, instead of three to four times.
And I don't wake to cramps in my legs either.

WTF is "full spectrum" sea salt?

What's the diff between regular salt and "full spectrum" salt. I
occasionally get cramps in my legs AND being almost 70 yrs old, I
usta hafta pee a lot at night.

I quit drinking and smoking (I live in CO), daily, and now hafta
pee, rarely. This, despite drinking lotsa water. I also do NOT eat a
lotta "processed" foods, so tend toward leg cramping. I can get pink
Himalayan sea salt, cheap, from my local health food store.

nb

Nothing magic about sea salt. Regular table salt contains iodide added
when goiter was a problem in certain areas and un-iodized makes less
cloudy pickles but rest is BS.

Too much salt causes water retention and can raise blood pressure.

Most of us old guys have benign prostate hyperplasia which causes us to
get up more at night.

I take stuff for all these problems.

I take 80mg of furosemide (diuretic) every morning with the shovelful of pills I'm given. I had to argue with the medical staff that I must take a diuretic or my lungs would fill with fluid. If I stop taking the diuretic, within 20 days right on cue, I develop pulmonary edema. I research every medication I'm given by getting on The Internet and doing a "What's The Function,'WTF'" search to find out what new ways doctors are trying to poison me. With my diuretic plus drinking lots of water and my favorite beverage, Diet Mountain Dew, I pee at least 4 liters a day. My record is 725cc at one time. I take a large potassium pill every morning to keep the muscle cramps at bay. There is plenty of salt in the food I eat. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Salty Monster

I'm on low salt and take a diuretic, hydrochlorothiazide, but it is
causing too low sodium. I was using KCl salt substitute but was getting
high potassium and read it interfered with BP med lisinopril.
Lisinopril had caused a cough and I had to switch to another med. My
edema in legs is due to problem I had nearly 20 years ago with pulmonary
embolism leaving right heart slightly enlarged.

All these interactions are a real pain. My son's father in law had a
low sodium problem caused by such that nearly killed him.

My wife just had one with an antibiotic that upset her system resulting
in thrush.

Isn't fun getting old?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-12-09, T wrote:

[...]

I despise drugs which is why I take as few as I can. At one time I was prescribed HCTZ,"hydrochlorothiazide" and Lisinopril but no longer take those meds. I got my buddy Stinky to smuggle in some naproxen sodium, (generic Aleve) to me so I can actually move around and use my hands. If I don't take 2 OTC naproxen sodium tablets a day, my joints swell up from arthritis. I get tired of arguing with medical staff when I know from experience what works for me. Doctors have tried to kill me more than once but my current physician tells me I'm too ornery to die. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Ornery Monster

On 2017-12-09, T wrote:

[...]

I have 6 prescription meds plus supplements recommended by doctors like
eye vitamins for AMD, fish oil for eyes and heart, fiber for
diverticulosis, low dose aspirin for heart and glucosamine chondroitin
for arthritis.

Over the years it has been a PITA with drug insurance. My plans have
changed and while subsidized by former employer the Bush drug plan
messed things up to make it cost more. At one point I took them out of
the insurance plan because Walmart was much cheaper.

Nsaids are out for me because I take blood thinner. Working on that
one, Xarelto, now to avoid the donut hole this year to get it shipped in
January. Damn stuff is expensive but worth avoiding testing once or
twice a month when on Coumadin.

I try to avoid doctors but not put my head in the sand. If you catch
something early it is easier to cure.

I have an 88 year old friend that says he has a doctor for every body part.