Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What do I call this pole lamp switch?

I have a pole lamp where the switch is inline with the cord and allows me to have one bulb, the other bulb, or both on at the same time.

Except it doesn't anymore. I can get one bulb on but not the other.

Is there a name for that switch? I like the lamp, just want to have it working again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 07:09:16 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

I have a pole lamp where the switch is inline with the cord and allows me
to have one bulb, the other bulb, or both on at the same time.
Except it doesn't anymore. I can get one bulb on but not the other.
Is there a name for that switch? I like the lamp, just want to have it working again.

I'm guessing you need a 3-way in-cord switch :

https://www.amazon.ca/Leviton-C20-01...l_4tba20vjhn_e

https://sites.google.com/site/juddle...way-lamp-logic

https://www.christmasdesigners.com/b...nd-spt-2-cord/

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a pole lamp where the switch is inline with the cord and allows me
to have one bulb, the other bulb, or both on at the same time.
Except it doesn't anymore. I can get one bulb on but not the other.
Is there a name for that switch? I like the lamp, just want to have it working again.

I'm guessing you need a 3-way in-cord switch :

https://www.amazon.ca/Leviton-C20-01...l_4tba20vjhn_e

https://sites.google.com/site/juddle...way-lamp-logic

https://www.christmasdesigners.com/b...nd-spt-2-cord/

John T.

One of those looks like it will work, but it will not exactly duplicate my application.

My lamp has one piece of 16/2 from the plug to the switch, then one length of 16/2 from the switch to each of two lamp sockets. There are four positions: Off, Bulb A, Bulb B, Both. Your switch circuit would run Off, Bulb A, Both. I could live with that if necessary but the other way is preferred..

My other pole lamp has switches on each socket.

I like these because they put the lighting on the task rather than having the whole room brighter than I want.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have never seen a switch like that inline. There are plenty that you
put in the lamp itself, usually rotary. You can also get a touch
switch that does that. If you really want a cord switch, check out the
Hubbell or Leviton catalogs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/07/2017 09:09 AM, TimR wrote:
I have a pole lamp where the switch is inline with the cord and allows me to have one bulb, the other bulb, or both on at the same time.

Except it doesn't anymore. I can get one bulb on but not the other.

Is there a name for that switch? I like the lamp, just want to have it working again.

I've seen a off-low-high switch in a cord before. "Low" used a diode so
only half of each AC cycle got to the bulb.

How many wires are coming out of your switch (going to the lamp)?

--
18 days until the winter celebration (Monday December 25, 2017 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The money man gives to get him into heaven is what he ought to use to
improve the earth." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading And
Other Essays_]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 3:37:37 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 12/07/2017 09:09 AM, TimR wrote:
I have a pole lamp where the switch is inline with the cord and allows me to have one bulb, the other bulb, or both on at the same time.

Except it doesn't anymore. I can get one bulb on but not the other.

Is there a name for that switch? I like the lamp, just want to have it working again.

I've seen a off-low-high switch in a cord before. "Low" used a diode so
only half of each AC cycle got to the bulb.

How many wires are coming out of your switch (going to the lamp)?

One 16/2 from outlet to switch, two 16/2s from switch to the bulbs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Been awhile since I had one of those 3 way lamps, but as I recall, it had two filaments in the same bulb. Energizing one gave low, energising the other gave med, energizing both have high. It had 3 positions, plus off.
Sounds exactly like what you need.

My other pole lamp has switches on each socket.

I like these because they put the lighting on the task rather than having the whole room brighter than I want.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 11:34:25 -0500, wrote:

https://www.amazon.ca/Leviton-C20-01...l_4tba20vjhn_e

That is an associate link. If you click that and put something in your cart
within 24 hours, and then buy it, someone is getting a commission. As the
tag googcana-20 is similar to the e-mail address of the poster, I assume
that the poster is spamming this newsgroup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My lamp has one piece of 16/2 from the plug to the switch,
then one length of 16/2 from the switch to each of two lamp sockets.
There are four positions: Off, Bulb A, Bulb B, Both.
Your switch circuit would run Off, Bulb A, Both. I could live with that
if necessary but the other way is preferred.

Been awhile since I had one of those 3 way lamps, but as I recall,
it had two filaments in the same bulb. Energizing one gave low,
energising the other gave med, energizing both have high.
It had 3 positions, plus off.
Sounds exactly like what you need.

Tri-light has the special bulbs.
I believe the OP has multiple normal bulbs off a single switch.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

https://www.amazon.ca/Leviton-C20-01...l_4tba20vjhn_e

That is an associate link. If you click that and put something in your cart
within 24 hours, and then buy it, someone is getting a commission. As the
tag googcana-20 is similar to the e-mail address of the poster, I assume
that the poster is spamming this newsgroup.
Don.

Nope - just the first link I could find to describe the switch -
not a recommendation in any way - sorry.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a pole lamp where the switch is inline with the cord and allows me
to have one bulb, the other bulb, or both on at the same time.
Except it doesn't anymore. I can get one bulb on but not the other.
Is there a name for that switch? I like the lamp, just want to have it working again.

I'm guessing you need a 3-way in-cord switch :

https://www.amazon.ca/Leviton-C20-01...l_4tba20vjhn_e

This is for one light bulb, or an immutable set of more than one.

https://sites.google.com/site/juddle...way-lamp-logic

See below

https://www.christmasdesigners.com/b...nd-spt-2-cord/

John T.

One of those looks like it will work, but it will not exactly duplicate my application.

My lamp has one piece of 16/2 from the plug to the switch, then one length of 16/2 from the switch to each of two lamp sockets. There are four positions: Off, Bulb A, Bulb B, Both. Your switch circuit would run Off, Bulb A, Both. I could live with that if necessary but the other way is preferred.

I had a rinkydink light in my trunk and put in another one, and rather
than removed the first one put in a rotating switch like the second
above. It turns out there are two kinds. One has an off position and
the other has only 3 like the one whose url is above. I save scrap
switches from junk lights. Where to buy new, I don't know.

My other pole lamp has switches on each socket.

I like these because they put the lighting on the task rather than having the whole room brighter than I want.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If I can't find that switch, there is an easy workaround.

I just rewire that switch so both exit wires are hot. Then I put an inline cord switch on the exit wires going to each lamp. Those switches are readily available and cheap. Then I can have either or both bulbs on.

But I kind of like the original setup. I have two pole lamps like this, one with a slide switch and one with a pushbutton. My other pole lamp just has an onswitch on each bulb position.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What do I call this pole lamp switch? Fixed it

Before buying the switch, of course I was going to check if it was really bad.

I took it apart and put a meter on it, and turned out I had voltage on the right output wires for wherever the switch was set. While I had it apart I hit it with a little contact cleaner.

So I put a meter between cord and socket. I had continuity to the center contact but not to the shell.

I disassembled the entire thing, kind of a pain, this thing is good German equipment solidly built, but more parts than necessary, and looked for a bad connection somewhere, but nothing was obvious. Hmm. Looked closer, this has an isolated shell, and a separate lower tab that makes the side contact. There was no voltage between center and shell, but there was between center and side tab.

Aha. Problem solved. Bend both tabs for good contact, reassemble everything, put the bulb back in and......

nothing.

Besides the bent tab, I had a bad new bulb. Got another bulb, now everything works as designed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 8 Dec 2017 06:18:55 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

If I can't find that switch, there is an easy workaround.

I just rewire that switch so both exit wires are hot. Then I put an inline cord switch on the exit wires going to each lamp. Those switches are readily available and cheap. Then I can have either or both bulbs on.

But I kind of like the original setup. I have two pole lamps like this, one with a slide switch and one with a pushbutton. My other pole lamp just has an onswitch on each bulb position.

I had a girlfriend who was a pole dancer, and everything was fine until
she tried it on a pole lamp. It wasn't pretty. It took the surgeon
two hours to get all the wires out of her .