Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pole Lamp Dimmer/Switch Module

Hi,

Have a tubular type of base lamp in my study.
The kind that has a base on the floor, and then a tube of an inch or so
diameter that runs vertically to a height of perhaps five feet.
Then a reflector on the top with a halogen bulb that shines upwards.

This one uses a tubular halogen lamp (300 W), and has a dimmer/switch module
that is slender enough to fit right inside the tube.

The dimmer/switch module needs replacement, and I can't seem to find
anywhere that carries them anymore. Can't seem to find on the web, either.

Any suggestions as to where to get ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Have a tubular type of base lamp in my study.
The kind that has a base on the floor, and then a tube of an inch or so
diameter that runs vertically to a height of perhaps five feet.
Then a reflector on the top with a halogen bulb that shines upwards.

This one uses a tubular halogen lamp (300 W), and has a dimmer/switch module
that is slender enough to fit right inside the tube.

The dimmer/switch module needs replacement, and I can't seem to find
anywhere that carries them anymore. Can't seem to find on the web, either.

Any suggestions as to where to get ?

Thanks,
Bob

I have a couple of those lamps. When the ON/ OF section of the switch
wore out I removed
the module, by-passed the on/off section with a minature toggle from
RadioShack
Drilled a hole 1 1/2 inches below original. works great :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey Robert, these are the lamps that were burning houses down when they
got knocked over or a curtain blew over them. Here they were giving
circline flourescent models when you turned them in.
Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Have a tubular type of base lamp in my study.
The kind that has a base on the floor, and then a tube of an inch or so
diameter that runs vertically to a height of perhaps five feet.
Then a reflector on the top with a halogen bulb that shines upwards.

This one uses a tubular halogen lamp (300 W), and has a dimmer/switch module
that is slender enough to fit right inside the tube.

The dimmer/switch module needs replacement, and I can't seem to find
anywhere that carries them anymore. Can't seem to find on the web, either.

Any suggestions as to where to get ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

A direct replacement for that exact unit would be difficult, especially
as those fixtures are getting less common.

You might try by passing the switch entirely, and us a power cord based
unit like Lutron's Attache units:
http://www.lutron.com/lampdimmers/de...=17000&t=17200

Richard Reid, LC

Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Have a tubular type of base lamp in my study.
The kind that has a base on the floor, and then a tube of an inch or so
diameter that runs vertically to a height of perhaps five feet.
Then a reflector on the top with a halogen bulb that shines upwards.

This one uses a tubular halogen lamp (300 W), and has a dimmer/switch module
that is slender enough to fit right inside the tube.

The dimmer/switch module needs replacement, and I can't seem to find
anywhere that carries them anymore. Can't seem to find on the web, either.

Any suggestions as to where to get ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"whiteoak" wrote in message
ups.com...

Robert11 wrote:
[...]

Around here, Lowes carries simple on/off rotary switches with pigtails that
replace those things perfectly, for about 3-4 dollars. I've done several of
them when the original garbage switch craps out. (The 20-dollar pole lamps
they sell now sure aren't the same quality the 70-dollar originals were.Good
thing most of mine were free, abandoned when people moved.) The plastic knob
trim usually won't fit, but it works fine, and no damn buzzing from the
dimmer. Who ever uses those except at full bright anyway? Defeats the
purpose of a halogen light. If you want mood light, use a table lamp.

Standard warning whenever halogen pole lamp threads come up- never leave
them running while asleep or out of the house. Even with the top grills the
new ones have, they are firestarters. I'd think real hard before having one
in a house with rowdy kids.

aem sends...