Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sound bar for better voice quality

micky posted for all of us...

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 5 Dec 2017 16:34:41 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

I am thinking of getting a sound bar for better voice recognition as my
hearing is poor.

How poor is it? Have you started wearing a hearing aid? or 2.

I ask because as much as 10 years ago, I noticed I often couldn't
understand the dialogue on Law & Order because they kept playing music
almost as loud as the talking. Yet if everyone had the same problem,
they woudl have stopped.

And during the previews just before the commercials on the Peoples
Court, they play drums or something almost like music while they have a
snippet from the upcoming 15 minutes. I don't know if they expect
anyone to understand that, and I guess that's usually repeated without
overnoise when the show resumes.

For the most part, I've used extension speakers for the bedroom and the
bathroom tvs for 30 years. The bedroom just uses one of those brown
boxes that cheap stereo speakers from the 60's, 70s, and maybe 80's
used, but it's better than the little speaker in a 14" crt tv.It plugs
into the earphone jack, though sometimes for greater volumne I bypass
the resister that's on that jack. The bathroom uses a large and a
small speaker (woofer and tweeter??) from a 1930's record player, that I
mounted on a piece of particle board and attached to the ceiling. It
gives great sound because of the resonance of the bare walls.

IOW, like a couple peopple have said, anything will be better than the
rinky dink speakers that are inside tvs. (Unless of course you get a
console TV. I wonder if you can get a TV that's 1" thick in a walnut
cabinet that's 16" inches deep with 3 speakers on each side. And a
record player of course. Plus a rack for holding records and an AM-FM
radio

I've had a noise in one ear since I was 10 or 20, but about 8 years ago
it doubled or tripled in volume and it's fairly annoying. It's never
quiet. Sounds like water running in a pipe.

Despite all this I hear most people and most tv shows just fine. Some
others, it seems, manage to mumble without anyone noticing it.

I saw the ZVOX AV200 advertised on TV. (See it does work) https://zvox.com/

Anyone have this or something similar with your recommendation...

Thanks for all the replies. No hearing aids-yet.

I agree with you some shows like L&O are exactly as you describe. I thought
it was just me.

I hate turning the closed captioning on-it's distracting.
--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/06/2017 02:53 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

[snip]

I hate turning the closed captioning on-it's distracting.

Closed captioning helps on TV in places like restaurants and doctor's
waiting rooms. It may be distracting but its better than hearing 1-2
words of every 20.

BTW, its also nice to not have trouble breathing because of all the SMOKERS.

--
18 days until the winter celebration (Monday December 25, 2017 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The money man gives to get him into heaven is what he ought to use to
improve the earth." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading And
Other Essays_]
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 7 Dec 2017 14:21:59 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 12/06/2017 02:53 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

[snip]

I hate turning the closed captioning on-it's distracting.

Closed captioning helps on TV in places like restaurants and doctor's
waiting rooms. It may be distracting but its better than hearing 1-2
words of every 20.

BTW, its also nice to not have trouble breathing because of all the SMOKERS.

YOu lost me. Does closed-captioning cut down on smoking?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am thinking of getting a sound bar for better voice recognition as my
hearing is poor.

I ask because as much as 10 years ago, I noticed I often couldn't
understand the dialogue on Law & Order because they kept playing music
almost as loud as the talking. Yet if everyone had the same problem,
they woudl have stopped.

And during the previews just before the commercials on the Peoples
Court, they play drums or something almost like music while they have a
snippet from the upcoming 15 minutes. I don't know if they expect
anyone to understand that, and I guess that's usually repeated without
overnoise when the show resumes.

Thanks for all the replies. No hearing aids-yet.

I agree with you some shows like L&O are exactly as you describe. I thought
it was just me.

So do most people manage to hear Law & Order just fine?

Or do most have the same problem we do and the producers probably don't
know about it, or don't care?

I hate turning the closed captioning on-it's distracting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/06/2017 02:53 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

[snip]

I hate turning the closed captioning on-it's distracting.

Closed captioning helps on TV in places like restaurants and doctor's
waiting rooms. It may be distracting but its better than hearing 1-2
words of every 20.

BTW, its also nice to not have trouble breathing because of all the SMOKERS.

YOu lost me. Does closed-captioning cut down on smoking?

Closed captioning is discrimination against blind people.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If you're talking about the current L&O, Special Victims Unit show,
I watch it sometimes, never had a problem hearing it. The only place
I've ever noticed a problem hearing dialogue has been on some movies.

Speaking of L&O, SVU, the real version of those folks are working on
Harvey Weinstein. NYC says they have investigators in several foreign
countries, chasing down leads. Dick Wolf can make a whole season or
new show, "Chasing Weinstein". The whole thing seems ridiculous to me.
A few weeks ago, NYC police said that if Harvey was there, they would
arrest him right now. Now they say they aren't going to pursue the
case with the one actress claiming he raped her, twice. Gee, I wonder
why? She didn't report the "rape" when it happened years ago. Then
she had him come over to her apt a couple months after the rape,
invited him in and she says he raped her again. Anyone else see a
problem winning that case? I guess the DA agreed, he's done with that.
Maybe someone can tell us how the hell you prosecute some sexual assault
case in NYC for whatever it is they think they're going to find overseas?
I'd be spending NYC law enforcement money on real, provable crime, and
keeping the city safe from terrorism.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Oh no, there really is a casting couch.
Do you suppose some of these women are complaining because they
screwed Harvey and still did not get the part?

It is like the old joke about the hooker who was told she had a
counterfeit bill.
"Oh no, I was raped"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes, that's the problem, some of it is likely exactly that.
One claimed she came to his hotel room, then he imprisoned her
and she felt she could not leave. She didn't say he locked the
door, prevented her from leaving, etc. It could be like you
said, he propositioned her, she went for it, thinking it would
help her career. It's clearly not right, but I don't think it's
what they are trying to make it out to be either, not in all cases.

It is like the old joke about the hooker who was told she had a
counterfeit bill.
"Oh no, I was raped"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/08/2017 08:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Closed captioning is discrimination against blind people.

Watching TV in a crowded room, there's 2 possible things he

1. (closed captioning on) some people miss 95% or so of the words, most
miss none (except the few they can't read).

2. (closed captioning off) everybody misses 95% or so of the words.

--
17 days until the winter celebration (Monday December 25, 2017 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Everything has a natural explanation. The moon is not a god but a great
rock and the sun a hot rock." [Anaxagorus, ca. 475 BC]
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/06/2017 02:53 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

[snip]

I hate turning the closed captioning on-it's distracting.

Closed captioning helps on TV in places like restaurants and doctor's
waiting rooms. It may be distracting but its better than hearing 1-2
words of every 20.

BTW, its also nice to not have trouble breathing because of all the SMOKERS.

YOu lost me. Does closed-captioning cut down on smoking?

Closed captioning is discrimination against blind people.

That's true. They should be treated like everyone else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd posted for all of us...

On 12/06/2017 02:53 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

[snip]

I hate turning the closed captioning on-it's distracting.

Closed captioning helps on TV in places like restaurants and doctor's
waiting rooms. It may be distracting but its better than hearing 1-2
words of every 20.

BTW, its also nice to not have trouble breathing because of all the SMOKERS.

You lost me here...

--
Tekkie