Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is rear view mirror glue something special (or just contact cement?)

Is rear view mirror glue something special (or just contact cement?)

Rarely is a glue only for one job, so I just wonder if normal crazy glue
will work to put a mirror back on the windshield.

Must it be special branded windshield glue?
Or will something else work as well?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 4:37:48 PM UTC-6, Mad Roger wrote:

Is rear view mirror glue something special (or just contact cement?)

Rarely is a glue only for one job, so I just wonder if normal crazy glue
will work to put a mirror back on the windshield.

Must it be special branded windshield glue?
Or will something else work as well?

I've had two rearview mirrors replaced on 2 different vehicles after
replacing the windshield. In both instances it was some sort con-
struction adhesive that was used, no special windshield glue and
both mirrors maintained their hold. It might have been liquid
nails that was used but I absolutely have no idea.

Sorry, I'm no help.

Just a thought, call a windshield repair shop and ask them what
they use or could they possibly reattach yours? If they don't
charge you, give the guy $5 for his trouble.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2017 5:37 PM, Mad Roger wrote:
Is rear view mirror glue something special (or just contact cement?)

Rarely is a glue only for one job, so I just wonder if normal crazy glue
will work to put a mirror back on the windshield.

Must it be special branded windshield glue?
Or will something else work as well?

It is some sort of crazy glue stuff AFAIK. Auto Zone and others carry
Permatex brand for $4.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 19:12:15 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is some sort of crazy glue stuff AFAIK. Auto Zone and others carry
Permatex brand for $4.

I'd get the right stuff because it won't ruin your windshield when it gets
bumped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 22:37:44 -0000 (UTC), Mad Roger wrote:

Is rear view mirror glue something special (or just contact cement?)

Rarely is a glue only for one job, so I just wonder if normal crazy glue
will work to put a mirror back on the windshield.

Must it be special branded windshield glue?
Or will something else work as well?

The rear view mirror type glue might be designed to shear off if your
mirror gets slammed somehow, so I prefer using it.
I had a mirror assembly that I super glued on knocked off, and the shoe took a small chunk
of glass off with it.
I used an epoxy type glue on that to replace it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mad Roger, Iggy wrote:
Go with the Special Rearview Mirror Glue. Krazy Glue sucks at most things and
will quickly pop right off of non-porous surfaces.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1150541-.htm