Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stain Sprayer Recommendation ?

I've got 120 feet of redwood fencing that I'd like to spray on an oil based,
lightly pigmented stain. I've always used a brush to apply pigmented stains
in the past, but I really dnn't want to spend days on this large fence.

I'm unfamiliar with paint sprayers, especially when used to apply pigmented
stain. I know that nozzles can get clogged with bits of pigment.

Any suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2017 12:05 PM, Boris wrote:
I've got 120 feet of redwood fencing that I'd like to spray on an oil based,
lightly pigmented stain. I've always used a brush to apply pigmented stains
in the past, but I really dnn't want to spend days on this large fence.

I'm unfamiliar with paint sprayers, especially when used to apply pigmented
stain. I know that nozzles can get clogged with bits of pigment.

Any suggestions?

Â* Rent an airless unit - maybe even from the store you buy your paint
at - and filter your stain as you pour it in . They make conical
strainer filters just for that purpose .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 10:16:25 AM UTC-8, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 11/8/2017 12:05 PM, Boris wrote:
I've got 120 feet of redwood fencing that I'd like to spray on an oil based,
lightly pigmented stain. I've always used a brush to apply pigmented stains
in the past, but I really dnn't want to spend days on this large fence.

I'm unfamiliar with paint sprayers, especially when used to apply pigmented
stain. I know that nozzles can get clogged with bits of pigment.

Any suggestions?

Â* Rent an airless unit - maybe even from the store you buy your paint
at - and filter your stain as you pour it in . They make conical
strainer filters just for that purpose .

Â* --

Â* Snag

It worked for me and the only hard part was cleaning it afterwards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 18:05:16 -0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote:

I've got 120 feet of redwood fencing that I'd like to spray on an oil based,
lightly pigmented stain. I've always used a brush to apply pigmented stains
in the past, but I really dnn't want to spend days on this large fence.
I'm unfamiliar with paint sprayers, especially when used to apply pigmented
stain. I know that nozzles can get clogged with bits of pigment.
Any suggestions?

No personal experience with this product - but I've heard good
reports.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,43456,43390

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 12:17:12 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 11/8/2017 12:05 PM, Boris wrote:
I've got 120 feet of redwood fencing that I'd like to spray on an oil based,
lightly pigmented stain. I've always used a brush to apply pigmented stains
in the past, but I really dnn't want to spend days on this large fence.

I'm unfamiliar with paint sprayers, especially when used to apply pigmented
stain. I know that nozzles can get clogged with bits of pigment.

Any suggestions?

* Rent an airless unit - maybe even from the store you buy your paint
at - and filter your stain as you pour it in . They make conical
strainer filters just for that purpose .

* --

* Snag

+1

Video: Craco 390 PC

http://www.graco.com/us/en/products/contractor/390-pc.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

All paints and stains have pigment and sprayers are used to
apply them. It's not the pigment that;s the potential problem,
it's any foreign objects, lumps, etc, which new stain from
the store should not have. I used BM solid stain on my house,
didn't strain it, no clogs, no problems. Get an airless paint
sprayer, I used a Milwaukee that I bought at HD for $200, worked
great. The nozzles on the common spray guns can be flipped
instantly, to push paint backwards to clear them. You can use
the sprayer to get the paint on quickly, then back brush it
to work it in. I would not rely on just spraying on wood like
that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Boris, Iggy wrote:
Sprayers are great, but they have to be cleaned out with Mineral Spirits,
Xylene or Acetone. If the fence gets Sun, then make it A LOT easier on
yourself and use a 3/8's Roller to put on One Time Wood Protector (
www.onetimewood.com ). One Time's not cheap and it does what it says, but
everything else is cheap and the roller's cover just goes in the trash.
Leftover One Time gets poured back into the jug for use every 7-years, if you
want to maintain a new and fresh look.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1150513-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Iggy m wrote in
:

https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ecommendation-

1150513-.htm

So, how did my post end up on homeownersclub?

Thanks for the reply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote in news:57b5f2f2-c0f9-4f27-a0de-
:

All paints and stains have pigment and sprayers are used to
apply them. It's not the pigment that;s the potential problem,
it's any foreign objects, lumps, etc, which new stain from
the store should not have. I used BM solid stain on my house,
didn't strain it, no clogs, no problems. Get an airless paint
sprayer, I used a Milwaukee that I bought at HD for $200, worked
great. The nozzles on the common spray guns can be flipped
instantly, to push paint backwards to clear them. You can use
the sprayer to get the paint on quickly, then back brush it
to work it in. I would not rely on just spraying on wood like
that.

I couldn't find any Milwaukee sprayers anywhere.

I did find a Graco for $219 at HD, but user questions asked if it could be
used to spray stains. A Graco rep replied yes as long as you can clean up
with water or 100% mineral spirits. A purchaser later replied that the
instructions inside the box said not unless you buy a special tip for
stains.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Graco-Ma...er-Plus-Paint-
Sprayers-257025/204159335

I used an oil based stain, that I like, the last time I did a smaller
fence, rough cut redwood about 60 feet. I applied with a brush, and took
off extra with a cloth. Took about 8 hours. This particular stain says
that I can apply with a sprayer with a certain size orifice.

This was a few years ago, and it was very hot and sunny out. The cleanup
rags actually spontaneously combusted in the flower bed. Yikes! I knew
better, but...In the future, all rags were put in a closed container full
of water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Boris wrote in
5.223:

http://tinyurl.com/ybtjal76

This works without having to copy/paste. Sorry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2017 9:23 PM, Boris wrote:
Iggy m wrote in
:

https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ecommendation-

1150513-.htm

So, how did my post end up on homeownersclub?

Thanks for the reply.

Â* It's HomeOwnersHub , and they steal from usenet and label it as their
own original content . GardenBanter does the same over in Merry Olde
England , and probably others too .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 10:51:37 PM UTC-5, Boris wrote:
[...]

Makes sense, that's how you clean the sprayer.

A purchaser later replied that the
instructions inside the box said not unless you buy a special tip for
stains.

IDK of any "special" tips. They come in various sizes that are based on orifice size and spray width. You choose the right one for the job.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Graco-Ma...er-Plus-Paint-
Sprayers-257025/204159335

I used an oil based stain, that I like, the last time I did a smaller
fence, rough cut redwood about 60 feet. I applied with a brush, and took
off extra with a cloth.

Sounds like you were using a transparent stain.
I used a solid stain on my house when I was spraying. Solid stain has the consistency of paint, transparent stain is thin, like water. That could effect what size tip you need. They typically give you a couple with the sprayer, getting the one you need helps, buying another one, they aren't cheap.

Took about 8 hours. This particular stain says
that I can apply with a sprayer with a certain size orifice.

Bingo. Tips are sized with a 3 digit number. The first digit is half the spray width in inches. The rest are the orifice size in thousandths of an inch. So a 517 tip has a 10 inch width, .017" orifice. Why they used a number for half the width instead of the full width, who knows.

This was a few years ago, and it was very hot and sunny out. The cleanup
rags actually spontaneously combusted in the flower bed. Yikes! I knew
better, but...In the future, all rags were put in a closed container full
of water.

Wow, that's a new one. My grandfather almost had a fire in his garage years ago. He had a 5 gallon glass water jug, full, sitting where the sun hit it and was focused on some nearby rags. It got them smoldering.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Boris, Iggy wrote:
HomeOwnersHub transports certain home and garden newsgroups to the real
internet as part of their service.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1150513-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 13:14:01 GMT, Iggy
m wrote:

replying to Boris, Iggy wrote:
HomeOwnersHub transports certain home and garden newsgroups to the real
internet as part of their service.

Hornswoggle. They port NNTP from their servers to Usenet groups, make
click bait via a web portal, acting as if they own the free advice
given by Usenet posters, that are not credited. They even censor
posters, so you will not see this.

You are the same clown that states drywall can only be done right if
it is hung vertical. Hint: You ain't as bright as you think you are
using Home Groaners Hub.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 13:14:01 GMT, Iggy

replying to Boris, Iggy wrote:
HomeOwnersHub transports certain home and garden
newsgroups to the
real internet as part of their service.

Hornswoggle. They port NNTP from their servers to Usenet
groups, make
click bait via a web portal, acting as if they own the
free advice
given by Usenet posters, that are not credited. They even
censor
posters, so you will not see this.

You are the same clown that states drywall can only be
done right if
it is hung vertical. Hint: You ain't as bright as you
think you are
using Home Groaners Hub.

What's the real internet? Is there a fake internet, too?
Do you have to call them homemoanershub or something nastier
like ****in leachin ****s to be censored?
Inquiring minds want to know : )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 14:34:52 -0600, "ChairMan"
wrote:

Oren wrote:
[...]

A former poster, Red Green was filtered by the moaners hub. A short
time later the web portal put me in the penalty box. That is why Iggy
Pop can't see my posts. Don't ask if I care, please.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 3:34:55 PM UTC-5, ChairMan wrote:
Oren wrote:
[...]

IDK, but few weeks ago, Iggy denied that he was on usenet. I guess
he thought everybody was over there with him at HomeMoaners. What I
find fascinating and which he's never explained, is how he and others
over there reply to a person in ten year old thread. I've asked how
it is that he digs up these old posts, never did get an explanation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
[...]

You have to be smarter than that T-4. He searches google and lands in
the groaner hub with a click.

....Opps, I'm censored again. They shall not see my post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

Oren wrote:
[...]

Is the hub part of the dark web? g Seems so because their brains flamed
out awhile ago.

--
Tekkie