Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gutter repair

I have an elbow joint that fell off from my gutter on the side of our house.. It's a pretty large piece. Maybe about 2.5 feet long. I don't know how they fasten these things when they install them. I looked at a piece that is still together and it looks like a rivet.

I tried using a screw but it only stayed together for a couple of weeks and it has fallen down again. All the screw did was create some pressure against the side of the piece it connected to. There is a little hole on the elbow joint where there used to be a rivet that held it

What can I use to hold that piece onto the cylinder shaped piece that it attaches to? I realize some pictures would be helpful but hopefully someone will know a way to repair this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 12:03:14 -0700 (PDT), " wrote:

I have an elbow joint that fell off from my gutter on the side of our house. It's a pretty large piece. Maybe about 2.5 feet long. I don't know how they fasten these things when they install them. I looked at a piece that is still together and it looks like a rivet.

I tried using a screw but it only stayed together for a couple of weeks and it has fallen down again. All the screw did was create some pressure against the side of the piece it connected to. There is a little hole on the elbow joint where there used to be a rivet that held it

What can I use to hold that piece onto the cylinder shaped piece that it attaches to? I realize some pictures would be helpful but hopefully someone will know a way to repair this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Use sheet metal screws made for gutters. You can get them in colors. Predrill the holes.
I think 3/16" bit, but check.
Alternatively you can buy a pop riveter. They're not expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have an elbow joint that fell off from my gutter on the side of our house. It's a pretty large piece. Maybe about 2.5 feet long.

That's a rather large elbow. Can you post a photo on a free sight with
a link here? Chances are that the elbow is on the end.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at 4:43:12 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:

It might need a couple more holes with appropriate fasteners.

How would a pop rivet do for that falling gutter? I had a piece
of elbow gutter once that wouldn't stay connected to the other
part. B/f came over and attached that portion with the original
strapping and a couple of pop rivets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2017 5:13 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

I fixed one with my pop riveter, a tool that all homeowners should have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mine are all held together with sheet metal self tappers.

I have a pop riveter and it is indeed very useful. It would work for this, but consider that occasionally you have to disassemble a gutter to clear a jam, and a screw is a lot easier to get out than a rivet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It might need a couple more holes with appropriate fasteners.
The screw (or rivet) needs to go through BOTH parts.

Thanks for all the replies! The key was getting that screw into both parts. It is holding pretty good now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 8:14:55 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
Mine are all held together with sheet metal self tappers.

I have a pop riveter and it is indeed very useful. It would work for this, but consider that occasionally you have to disassemble a gutter to clear a jam, and a screw is a lot easier to get out than a rivet.

+1

As someone pointed out, you can get painted sheet metal screws at
HD, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 05:14:51 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

Mine are all held together with sheet metal self tappers.

I have a pop riveter and it is indeed very useful. It would work for this, but consider that occasionally you have to disassemble a gutter to clear a jam, and a screw is a lot easier to get out than a rivet.

My experience is the screw extending into the downspout CAUSES most
jams - and since I instulled gutter-guards there is nothing to jam
them any more - and I don't need to climb up and clean the gutters any
more. Just finisged installing 30 ft of it on my shed half an hour
ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 10:27:50 AM UTC-5, wrote:

since I installed gutter-guards there is nothing to jam
them any more - and I don't need to climb up and clean the gutters any
more. Just finisged installing 30 ft of it on my shed half an hour
ago.

I've had the gutter guards on my gutters for about 8 years and haven't
had a clogged and overflowing gutter since. I highly recommend them.