Posted to alt.home.repair

Default aluminium gutter repair

I've tried for the past few years to install or repair aluminium
gutters in my house, but I've mostly failed in reliably getting leak
free installations (either at the downspout or when connecting 2
pieces).

I've tried different type of caulk or sealant but I've always found
them hard to work with (very sticky), as I can't use my fingers like I
do with regular latex caulk to smooth out the caulk.

Note that I have the Black&Decker guide to roofing/siding, but they
don't go into much details on how to apply sealant, quantities etc...

Do you have a brand/type of sealant and/or caulk to recommend, and
maybe tips to share with me ?

thanks in advance.

Fred.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 07:15:34 -0700, fredinstl
wrote:

I've tried for the past few years to install or repair aluminium
gutters in my house, but I've mostly failed in reliably getting leak
free installations (either at the downspout or when connecting 2
pieces).

I've tried different type of caulk or sealant but I've always found
them hard to work with (very sticky), as I can't use my fingers like I
do with regular latex caulk to smooth out the caulk.

Note that I have the Black&Decker guide to roofing/siding, but they
don't go into much details on how to apply sealant, quantities etc...

Do you have a brand/type of sealant and/or caulk to recommend, and
maybe tips to share with me ?

thanks in advance.

Fred.

I think some makers of gutters have their own caulk. Check with
Lowes/HD, you'll find many different types/uses caulks.

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
fredinstl wrote:

I would really appreciate any help on this from this group.
thanks. Fred.

On Jun 3, 9:15 am, fredinstl wrote:
I've tried for the past few years to install or repair aluminium
gutters in my house, but I've mostly failed in reliably getting leak
free installations (either at the downspout or when connecting 2
pieces).

I've tried different type of caulk or sealant but I've always found
them hard to work with (very sticky), as I can't use my fingers like I
do with regular latex caulk to smooth out the caulk.

Note that I have the Black&Decker guide to roofing/siding, but they
don't go into much details on how to apply sealant, quantities etc...

Do you have a brand/type of sealant and/or caulk to recommend, and
maybe tips to share with me ?

thanks in advance.

Fred.

Can't help with caulking suggestions, but I'm wondering:

1 Why do you care whether your gutters leak?

2 Given the prevalence and low cost of seamless extruded gutters, is
there a reason you're disinclined to go that route?