Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attic conversion

We are looking at converting attic space into a bedroom there is currently
2x6(true 2x6)old growth joists 16 oc and 15ft span the home had 10ft ceiling
now has dropped ceiling at 8ft I was wondering if I could run two 2x8 the
opposite direction under the 2x6 to support the load

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1148814-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 10:14:11 AM UTC-4, Dalejr850103 wrote:
We are looking at converting attic space into a bedroom there is currently
2x6(true 2x6)old growth joists 16 oc and 15ft span the home had 10ft ceiling
now has dropped ceiling at 8ft I was wondering if I could run two 2x8 the
opposite direction under the 2x6 to support the load

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1148814-.htm

The principle is correct. With two additional supports, the 2x6s will only span 5 ft which should be sufficient. But you don't say what the distance is that they will run and for any reasonable size room, two separate 2x8s acting as beams aren't going to be sufficient. Someone needs to calculate the loads.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to trader_4, Dalejr850103 wrote:
14 ft for the 2x8

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1148814-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 3:44:06 PM UTC-4, Dalejr850103 wrote:
replying to trader_4, Dalejr850103 wrote:
14 ft for the 2x8

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1148814-.htm

As it exists now, there is nothing supporting the 2x6s at mid-span,
correct?

It would seem to me your easiest option is to put one 14 ft beam mid-span.
That is provided there is something sufficient to carry that load on
both ends. Is there? If not, then two beams like you were talking about could
work, assuming they have endpoints that will carry the reduced load, etc.
In any case, I doubt two 2x8's will be sufficient.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 3:44:08 PM UTC-4, Dalejr850103 wrote:
replying to trader_4, Dalejr850103 wrote:
14 ft for the 2x8

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1148814-.htm

Here is a beam span calculator. If you use a beam mid-span, to support
15 ft of joists with a 14 ft long beam, you'd need either 4 2x12s or 5 2x10s
with Douglas Fir. They have engineered beams that would be smaller,
lighter, that's another possibility.

http://www.the-house-plans-guide.com...an-tables.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to trader_4, Dalejr850103 wrote:
Yes. 2x6 load barring walls

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1148814-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 5:14:06 PM UTC-4, Dalejr850103 wrote:
replying to trader_4, Dalejr850103 wrote:
Yes. 2x6 load barring walls

They sure aren't going to be capable of supporting the ends of
any 14 ft long beam that;s holding up a 15x14 floor. You'll need
solid support there, carried down to the foundation.