Posted to alt.home.repair

Default removal of bathroom concrete floor

I have a small bathroom that has 2 one inch layers of concrete or mud (I'm
not sure how to tell the difference)over floor boards that has developed soft
spots and I wish to lay ceramic over it. It has been suggested to me to use
an angle cutter to cut in front of the tub(floor is good under that and I am
not removing that) and to use the angle grinder to cut up chucks of the
concrete to remove. Is this the right way or is there an easier way?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-1148328-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 3:44:13 PM UTC-4, MickB wrote:
I have a small bathroom that has 2 one inch layers of concrete or mud (I'm
not sure how to tell the difference)over floor boards that has developed soft
spots and I wish to lay ceramic over it. It has been suggested to me to use
an angle cutter to cut in front of the tub(floor is good under that and I am
not removing that) and to use the angle grinder to cut up chucks of the
concrete to remove. Is this the right way or is there an easier way?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-1148328-.htm

Not sure you have to cut it into chunks, you may be able to break it apart
in sections. But sounds like the tub is on top of it? If so, you do need
to cut it away from the tub so it will come out clean there. A diamond
blade or similar suitable for concrete on the angle grinder should work.
Kind of odd to have 2" of mud plus tile, etc on a bath floor, just from
the height issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 19:44:09 GMT, MickB
m wrote:

I have a small bathroom that has 2 one inch layers of concrete or mud (I'm
not sure how to tell the difference)over floor boards that has developed soft
spots and I wish to lay ceramic over it. It has been suggested to me to use
an angle cutter to cut in front of the tub(floor is good under that and I am
not removing that) and to use the angle grinder to cut up chucks of the
concrete to remove. Is this the right way or is there an easier way?

I have done it twice, both times the same way. Just be sure you use a
damned good respirator because you are going to be covered in dust.
If the floor is really that soft it should not be that hard to break
up. Mine was 4" 50 year old concrete and as hard as chinese algebra.
I was still able to break it up and get it out. Seal up the room as
well as possible from the rest of the house and put a box fan in the
window to take as much dust outside as you can.
Did I tell you about a good respirator yet ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I have a small bathroom that has 2 one inch layers of concrete or mud (I'm
not sure how to tell the difference)over floor boards that has developed soft
spots and I wish to lay ceramic over it. It has been suggested to me to use
an angle cutter to cut in front of the tub(floor is good under that and I am
not removing that) and to use the angle grinder to cut up chucks of the
concrete to remove. Is this the right way or is there an easier way?

Use an electric jack hammer is you don't want to raise dust. Just use the angle grinder to
score around the tub.
Posted to alt.home.repair

om wrote:

I have a small bathroom that has 2 one inch layers of concrete or mud (I'm
not sure how to tell the difference)over floor boards that has developed soft
spots and I wish to lay ceramic over it. It has been suggested to me to use
an angle cutter to cut in front of the tub(floor is good under that and I am
not removing that) and to use the angle grinder to cut up chucks of the
concrete to remove. Is this the right way or is there an easier way?

Use an electric jack hammer is you don't want to raise dust. Just use the angle grinder to
score around the tub.

Just be aware there might be some pipes down there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2017 3:24 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Â* Not necessarily , in older construction (1950's) the joists were
often dropped a couple of inches and the top edges chamfered , then
boards set down between the joists on cleats . 3-5"of "dry mix"
consisting of 1 portland to 4 sand well dampened is then packed and
leveled . Tile is set on this before it sets , adhered with a generous
sprinkling of dry thinset mortar mix . Redone a few ...

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I have a small bathroom that has 2 one inch layers of concrete or mud (I'm
not sure how to tell the difference)over floor boards that has developed soft
spots and I wish to lay ceramic over it. It has been suggested to me to use
an angle cutter to cut in front of the tub(floor is good under that and I am
not removing that) and to use the angle grinder to cut up chucks of the
concrete to remove. Is this the right way or is there an easier way?

Cutting might be done with a 4" angle grinder , using a fine diamond
blade. Then break the "chucks" up with a hammer and/or a chisel.

I cannot see the project from here.