Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting wood floors refinished - oil or water based varnish?

Hi,
I'm getting my wood floors refinished, I've had two guys come in for estimates. Either way it will be around $1,000 for sanding and varnish. But one guy said that Oil based is better (and cheaper) and the other said that water based is better (and cheaper).
The price difference is minimal, I'm more interested in whichever finish is more durable and long lasting.
Is there a definite answer?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to strangways, Iggy wrote:
They're really about equal in durability. Oil has slightly more solids, costs
less, takes 3-times longer to cure and lends an orange or amber tint to the
stained or unstained floor. Water is very clear and doesn't change the stain
or natural color, the 4-coats can possibly be done in 1-day for the room's use
tomorrow. Either 1 may need re-coating every few years, depending on how
finicky you are...normal people just let them go until they die or move.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...h-1148260-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hi,
I'm getting my wood floors refinished, I've had two guys come in for
estimates. Either way it will be around $1,000 for sanding and varnish. But
one guy said that Oil based is better (and cheaper) and the other said that
water based is better (and cheaper).
The price difference is minimal, I'm more interested in whichever finish is
more durable and long lasting.
Is there a definite answer?

Yes. The oil is much more durable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 11:15:59 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message
Hi,
I'm getting my wood floors refinished, I've had two guys come in for
estimates. Either way it will be around $1,000 for sanding and varnish. But
one guy said that Oil based is better (and cheaper) and the other said that
water based is better (and cheaper).
The price difference is minimal, I'm more interested in whichever finish is
more durable and long lasting.
Is there a definite answer?

Yes. The oil is much more durable.

I don't have experience with floors, but outside, on stamped concrete,
the solvent based clear coat products are more durable and last substantially
longer. The problem is that the hippies have regulated them so that you
can't legally buy the solvent based ones in many states now. The downside
is they smell while drying and that could be a factor, or not, depending
on what area in the house you're doing.