Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Petition for gardener who shot and killed burglar

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 13:49:09 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

and shot one of the criminals as they
headed upstairs in search of valuables.

shooting someone heading away from you is not self defense

it's a well established legal principle

Um, if the crook is committing a forcible felony, he can be shot dead.
In my house. Cops shoot fleeing felons all the time. Courts have
rulled it justified. An unarmed prison escapee can be shot dead with
no warning, command to stop or a verbal warning. Even is unarmed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 17:18:00 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

We can't shoot anyone breaking in either. To be able to shoot we have to
consider our life to be at immediate risk.

Don't know where you live, but deadly force is written into law. Some
stink-eye, committing a forcible felony, like home invasion, rape,
robbery, murder, hostage taking, etc., are threats to your life. Dead
do-bad's don't testify in court. In my state a family can't sue me for
wrongful death. Deadly force is justified if I experience a
car-jacking or if I see a child being harmed. It isn't limited to my
property. Any place I have a lawful right to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine

"...A castle doctrine, also known as a castle law or a defense of
habitation law, is a legal doctrine that designates a person's abode
or any legally occupied place – e.g., a vehicle or home – as a place
in which that person has protections and immunities permitting one, in
certain circumstances, to use force (up to and including deadly force)
to defend oneself against an intruder, free from legal prosecution for
the consequences of the force used."

[...]

"...Castle doctrines negate the duty to retreat when an individual is
assaulted in a place where that individual has a right to be, such as
within one's own home. Deadly force may be justified and a defense of
justifiable homicide applicable, in cases "when the actor reasonably
fears imminent peril of death or serious bodily harm to him or herself
or another".