Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Petition for gardener who shot and killed burglar

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 17:18:00 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

We can't shoot anyone breaking in either. To be able to shoot we have to
consider our life to be at immediate risk.

Don't know where you live, but deadly force is written into law. Some
stink-eye, committing a forcible felony, like home invasion, rape,
robbery, murder, hostage taking, etc., are threats to your life. Dead
do-bad's don't testify in court. In my state a family can't sue me for
wrongful death. Deadly force is justified if I experience a
car-jacking or if I see a child being harmed. It isn't limited to my
property. Any place I have a lawful right to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine

"...A castle doctrine, also known as a castle law or a defense of
habitation law, is a legal doctrine that designates a person's abode
or any legally occupied place – e.g., a vehicle or home – as a place
in which that person has protections and immunities permitting one, in
certain circumstances, to use force (up to and including deadly force)
to defend oneself against an intruder, free from legal prosecution for
the consequences of the force used."

[...]

"...Castle doctrines negate the duty to retreat when an individual is
assaulted in a place where that individual has a right to be, such as
within one's own home. Deadly force may be justified and a defense of
justifiable homicide applicable, in cases "when the actor reasonably
fears imminent peril of death or serious bodily harm to him or herself
or another".