Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Opener Cycling Up & Down On Its Own ?

Hi,

My son just wrote me the following re his automatic garage door opener:

"We came home today and discovered test our garage seems to be
opening on its own.

There's nothing sitting on the automatics in the cars and nothing stuck
at or near the garage.

To stop this temporarily I switched to manual and unplugged.

But this is a temporary fix for something goofy"

Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be going on ?
As always, thanks for help.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2017 6:59 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

My son just wrote me the following re his automatic garage door opener:

Â*Â*Â* "We came home today and discovered test our garage seems to be
opening on its own.

There's nothing sitting on the automatics in the cars and nothing stuck
at or near the garage.

To stop this temporarily I switched to manual and unplugged.

But this is a temporary fix for something goofy"

Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be going on ?
As always, thanks for help.

Bob

Have not had mine behave like this but have had something bump the
optical detector and signal light get out of line and door acted goofy.
Tweaking them solved problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2017 6:59 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

My son just wrote me the following re his automatic garage door opener:

Â*Â*Â* "We came home today and discovered test our garage seems to be
opening on its own.

There's nothing sitting on the automatics in the cars and nothing stuck
at or near the garage.

To stop this temporarily I switched to manual and unplugged.

But this is a temporary fix for something goofy"

Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be going on ?
As always, thanks for help.

Bob

Assuming it is the newer ones with the optical safety, the reflector may
have gotten out of whack and it thinks the door is going to hit
something. That would cause it to go up. There is also a limit switch
to tell the door when to stop and that may be out of adjustment.

Manual may have a diagnosis in the troubleshooting section.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 06:59:36 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hi,

My son just wrote me the following re his automatic garage door opener:

"We came home today and discovered test our garage seems to be
opening on its own.

There's nothing sitting on the automatics in the cars and nothing stuck
at or near the garage.

To stop this temporarily I switched to manual and unplugged.

But this is a temporary fix for something goofy"

Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be going on ?
As always, thanks for help.

Bob

Possible interference from someone else's remote or even another
device. I have a driveway alarm that, despite my trying different
"encodings" on it, insists on going off every time one of my neighbors
closes his garage door with his remote.

-dan z-

__
Someone who thinks logically provides
a nice contrast to the real world.
(Anonymous)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 7, 2017 at 5:59:39 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
Hi,

My son just wrote me the following re his automatic garage door opener:

"We came home today and discovered test our garage seems to be
opening on its own.

There's nothing sitting on the automatics in the cars and nothing stuck
at or near the garage.

To stop this temporarily I switched to manual and unplugged.

But this is a temporary fix for something goofy"

Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be going on ?
As always, thanks for help.

Bob

Tell him to check the manual pushbutton wiring for damage. Rodents love to chew on wiring and can cause short circuits. If the control wiring is pinched anywhere, the change in temperature from sunup to sundown can cause the structure to move enough to cause a pinched wire to short circuit. I learned this working on alarm systems years ago. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Wired Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2017 6:59 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

My son just wrote me the following re his automatic garage door opener:

Â*Â*Â* "We came home today and discovered test our garage seems to be opening on its own.

There's nothing sitting on the automatics in the cars and nothing stuck at or near the garage.

To stop this temporarily I switched to manual and unplugged.

But this is a temporary fix for something goofy"

Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be going on ?
As always, thanks for help.

Bob

I'd start this guessing-game by pulling the cover and blowing the spider webs and dust out of the door opener, any door safety sensors and any of the wall-mounted push buttons.

Another guess would be to change theÂ* code on the remotes and opener.

Another guess would be to remove the batteries from both remote controls to see if the door still opens on its own.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 7, 2017 at 6:59:39 AM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
Hi,

My son just wrote me the following re his automatic garage door opener:

"We came home today and discovered test our garage seems to be
opening on its own.

There's nothing sitting on the automatics in the cars and nothing stuck
at or near the garage.

To stop this temporarily I switched to manual and unplugged.

But this is a temporary fix for something goofy"

Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be going on ?
As always, thanks for help.

Bob

It's unclear whether this is something that happens one time, occasionally
after the button is pushed or if the door is "cycling" constantly up and down, never shutting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Bob, Iggy wrote:
1st - He'll need to make sure his Threshold Sensors or Eyes are clean, clear
and aligned (green light). These being less than perfect can cause similar
behavior.

2nd - He can replace the batteries (if he can't test them) in the remotes. For
some reason some remotes put out signals as the batteries die or get too low
in power.

3rd - He can fool with the Up Force and Down Force knobs. While this can ruin
the safety of the Opener, it's allowed doors to operate perfectly for many
years more. He'd just mark or remember their starting position (i.e.
1-o'clock) and then twist them around a bit to grind debris out of the
potentiometer switches. But, he wants to still leave them set a little higher
(i.e. 2-o'clock).

4th - The Control or Circuit Board has been blown by a surge or by its own
cheap Planned Obsolescence parts. Most Openers don't have decent surge
protection and aren't plugged into a Surge Protector. He'll need to replace
the Control or Circuit Board or just get a whole new Opener, as they can be
almost the same cost.

5th - He can try changing Security Codes, to stop a neighbor's remote from
triggering his door. But, if we're talking about an Opener that's 10-years old
or less, this isn't an option. The "newer" Openers have self rolling codes and
therefore no ability to change or set a code.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1146496-.htm