Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Old GE range schematic

One would think there would be the proverbial "veritable plethora" of
such readily available on web by search but I can find precious little
and nothing of actual use.

Looking for schematic for old GE model BV42G 001AD free-standing range.
Trying to troubleshoot problem with self-clean cycle not starting
owing to the door lock solenoid not powering. The solenoid itself is
ok; works fine when apply voltage, it's just not getting the signal.

Trying to decipher if issue is in the timing or the other interlocks but
difficult to trace wiring to tell just what is in conjunction with
what...there's an interlock to temperature to not let it unlock when
it's cooling, but shouldn't be anything preventing it when starting.

It was intermittent for a while but now can't get it at all so if knew
the sequence should be able to work way through pieces to get to the end
and find the missing piece, _if_ I could find the wiring of what all is
in the circuit to begin with...

I did just find a link from GE to submit request to for missing
schematics so I did but I'm guessing they're going to tell me that the
range in question is so old they no longer have the data on
file...bought a service manual couple years ago; it doesn't have
schematics with it.

And no, they're not inside some service panel or on the inside or any
such thing; I've had it completely apart that there are no other hidden
places to hide them...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Did you try looking for a schematic for a similar model? Usually they
are wired similarly. I did that for my Kitchenaid Fridge, which like'
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 01-Oct-17 3:46 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Did you try looking for a schematic for a similar model? Usually they
are wired similarly. I did that for my Kitchenaid Fridge, which like'
yours had no schematic behind the panel. I couldn't find a schematic
for it either, even though it's only 5 years old. But I found one
for a model that was close. ...

Well, how did you determine "close"?

And, truthfully, I've not found a single schematic at all which just
blows me away -- you'd think folks would put 'em up by the droves; they
post everything else whether of any interest or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 01-Oct-17 2:54 PM, dpb wrote:

Looking for schematic for old GE model BV42G 001AD free-standing range.
Trying to troubleshoot problem with self-clean cycle not starting owing
to the door lock solenoid not powering. The solenoid itself is ok; works
fine when apply voltage, it's just not getting the signal.

Sorry, missed leading 'J' in the model number -- JBV42G001 is series;
the AD is almond color (indicative of age ). There were, it appears
a 001, 002, 003, 004 series as well; I've no idea what differences might be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 17:03:51 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 01-Oct-17 2:54 PM, dpb wrote:

Looking for schematic for old GE model BV42G 001AD free-standing range.
Trying to troubleshoot problem with self-clean cycle not starting owing
to the door lock solenoid not powering. The solenoid itself is ok; works
fine when apply voltage, it's just not getting the signal.

Sorry, missed leading 'J' in the model number -- JBV42G001 is series;
the AD is almond color (indicative of age ). There were, it appears
a 001, 002, 003, 004 series as well; I've no idea what differences might be.

... worth a pretty penny in 1983 if it's the model with the microwave :

https://virginiachronicle.com/cgi-bi...E19830210.1.14

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 01 Oct 2017 14:54:05 -0500, dpb
wrote:

And no, they're not inside some service panel or on the inside or any
such thing; I've had it completely apart that there are no other hidden
places to hide them...

What about not hidden at all but on the back?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 01 Oct 2017 16:15:16 -0500, dpb
wrote:

On 01-Oct-17 3:46 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Did you try looking for a schematic for a similar model? Usually they
are wired similarly. I did that for my Kitchenaid Fridge, which like'
yours had no schematic behind the panel. I couldn't find a schematic
for it either, even though it's only 5 years old. But I found one
for a model that was close. ...

Well, how did you determine "close"?

And, truthfully, I've not found a single schematic at all which just
blows me away -- you'd think folks would put 'em up by the droves; they
post everything else whether of any interest or not.

Back in 1967, a college friend had a summer job working at Western
Electric, packing rebuilt phones.

He asked his boss if there was a schematic of the phone, and his boss
told him it was all handed down verbally!

So he found one in the trash and spent every lunch hour taking it apart
and drawing the schematic**. At the end of the summer the same boss
brought him a schematic of both the dial and the touchtone phone. I had
a copy for 20 or 30 years and I don't know what happened to them.

**Which is not easy since none of the parts in the silver box have
meaningful markings. They're all white (covered in jelly) and not even
shaped like they normally would be, iirc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 5:15:19 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 01-Oct-17 3:46 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Did you try looking for a schematic for a similar model? Usually they
are wired similarly. I did that for my Kitchenaid Fridge, which like'
yours had no schematic behind the panel. I couldn't find a schematic
for it either, even though it's only 5 years old. But I found one
for a model that was close. ...

Well, how did you determine "close"?

I found ones that had very similar model numbers, pulled up an
image of them, they looked alike.

And, truthfully, I've not found a single schematic at all which just
blows me away -- you'd think folks would put 'em up by the droves; they
post everything else whether of any interest or not.

--

Have you tried different search engines? When something is hard to find,
sometimes one of them will find it while others will not.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 02-Oct-17 10:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 5:15:19 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

Well, how did you determine "close"?

I found ones that had very similar model numbers, pulled up an
image of them, they looked alike.

I've found nothing with the first two letters matching to
date...probably because this was a high-end/high-priced unit when new so
just weren't that many of 'em...

And, truthfully, I've not found a single schematic at all which just

Have you tried different search engines? When something is hard to find,
sometimes one of them will find it while others will not.

Well, the above is _quite_ true; there are zillions of images at the
google images link but there's no organization and no way to sort and
many are dead links or hijacked or to lead-on sites that actually have
nothing to do with the subject...

I'll try a little different tack this evening maybe if get some time...I
did print off one from the above images but when look in more detail it
doesn't have the clean cycle on it...

Don't know if Hotpoint had a similar model; haven't found it if did so
probably the GE badge was only one for this particular series...

There's a large dealer about 60 mi that still handles GE (nobody in town
does any longer except the Sears catalog store and they have no service
facilities); think when I go up there for some other reason I'll see if
there's any chance they have the service manuals still. The only local
appliance outlet quit carrying GE a number of years ago and threw out
all the old service manuals as well...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

One would think there would be the proverbial "veritable plethora" of
such readily available on web by search but I can find precious little
and nothing of actual use.

Looking for schematic for old GE model BV42G 001AD free-standing range.
Trying to troubleshoot problem with self-clean cycle not starting
owing to the door lock solenoid not powering. The solenoid itself is
ok; works fine when apply voltage, it's just not getting the signal.

Trying to decipher if issue is in the timing or the other interlocks but
difficult to trace wiring to tell just what is in conjunction with
what...there's an interlock to temperature to not let it unlock when
it's cooling, but shouldn't be anything preventing it when starting.

Trader is on track here. Any model from the same time frame that is
self-cleaning will probably have a similar circuit for the solenoid.

You don't have to get anything else the same.

In fact how old is old. I have a GE iirc with self-cleaning and I dl'd
about 15 owners manuals before I found oen that was darn close. Of
course, I dont' think the owners manual has the wiring diagram.

What do you mean " but shouldn't be anything preventing it when
starting." Preventing it from what? Unlocking? I don't think so.
Mine locks when the self-cleaning starts and doesn't unlock until it's
cold enough. It's not like a washing machine where you want to throw
more clothes in at the start, so why shouldnt' it lock?

It was intermittent for a while but now can't get it at all so if knew
the sequence should be able to work way through pieces to get to the end
and find the missing piece, _if_ I could find the wiring of what all is
in the circuit to begin with...

I did just find a link from GE to submit request to for missing
schematics so I did but I'm guessing they're going to tell me that the
range in question is so old they no longer have the data on
file...bought a service manual couple years ago; it doesn't have
schematics with it.

That's what I look for in a service manual. I can't get a shop manual
for my new car but I got the electric manual and that's the most
important one afaic.

And no, they're not inside some service panel or on the inside or any
such thing; I've had it completely apart that there are no other hidden
places to hide them...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 02-Oct-17 10:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Have you tried different search engines? When something is hard to find,
sometimes one of them will find it while others will not.

Went thru about a half-dozen this AM -- not a one showed me anything
hadn't already seen, unfortunately.