Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cleaning cloth seats in vehicle

Borrowed a car for a the weekend as mine went in the shop on friday.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1208002seat.jpg

Mine are all leather seats but this is a cloth seat.
I just want to clean it for my friend before I return it.
What do you use at home to clean such things?
Posted to alt.home.repair

June Bug wrote:
Borrowed a car for a the weekend as mine went in the shop on friday.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1208002seat.jpg

Mine are all leather seats but this is a cloth seat.
I just want to clean it for my friend before I return it.
What do you use at home to clean such things?

There are spot carpet cleaners that I have used in the past. 409 comes to
mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The date is 24/09/2017 15:09

There are spot carpet cleaners that I have used in the past. 409 comes to
mind.

How do you clean with a can mechanically?

Never used a carpet cleaner except the hundred-pound weight rental kind
which will tear up a cloth seat like there is no tomorrow.

How do you use the 409 spray mechanically?
What's the chemical in a 409 carpet cleaner that's different than soap &
water?

The real issue I ask is mechanical since I already have soap and water.

What do you use mechanically once you spray the soap and water?

Do you just spray the soap and water (or 409 but I doubt it is any
different than just soap and water in a can) and then brush wet with a hair
brush and let dry?

Only someone who done it will have the experience of what works and I
haven't done it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2017 11:20 AM, June Bug wrote:
The date is 24/09/2017 15:09

There are spot carpet cleaners that I have used in the past. 409 comes to
mind.

How do you clean with a can mechanically?

Never used a carpet cleaner except the hundred-pound weight rental kind
which will tear up a cloth seat like there is no tomorrow.

How do you use the 409 spray mechanically?
What's the chemical in a 409 carpet cleaner that's different than soap &
water?

The real issue I ask is mechanical since I already have soap and water.

What do you use mechanically once you spray the soap and water?

Do you just spray the soap and water (or 409 but I doubt it is any
different than just soap and water in a can) and then brush wet with a hair
brush and let dry?

Only someone who done it will have the experience of what works and I
haven't done it.

You've not done it, yes you question help. 409 is a good cleaner for
the grime. Various ways to apply and clean it off the seats. Brush and
sponge works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

There are spot carpet cleaners that I have used in the past. 409 comes to
mind.

How do you clean with a can mechanically?
Never used a carpet cleaner except the hundred-pound weight rental kind
which will tear up a cloth seat like there is no tomorrow.
How do you use the 409 spray mechanically?
What's the chemical in a 409 carpet cleaner that's different than soap &
water?
The real issue I ask is mechanical since I already have soap and water.
What do you use mechanically once you spray the soap and water?
Do you just spray the soap and water (or 409 but I doubt it is any
different than just soap and water in a can) and then brush wet with a hair
brush and let dry?
Only someone who done it will have the experience of what works and I
haven't done it.

If you plan to do the whole interior - take it to a professional
detailer and cough-up some cash.
If you simply plan to do the grubby portion of the drivers seat -
try scrubbing with a damp cloth and a bit of dish detergent.
Don't soak it - dampen it.
Keep renewing the cloths as you go - rinsing the cloth and
wringing out. Finish with clean damp cloths and no soap.
You won't get it to look new again - but you'd be surprised what
some elbow grease will do.
It might take a day to dry - put a fan on it to speed it up a
little.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/17 11:01 AM, June Bug wrote:
Borrowed a car for a the weekend as mine went in the shop on friday.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1208002seat.jpg

Mine are all leather seats but this is a cloth seat.
I just want to clean it for my friend before I return it.
What do you use at home to clean such things?

Sounds like you don't know much/anything about automotive upholstery
cleaning. Think of how bad you're going to feel- and how mad your friend
will be- if your well meaning gesture ends up doing more harm than good!

Not to mention some of the dirt spots might have sentimental value to
your friend.;-)

--
Some of the greatest minds in the world are right here in America.
Sadly, they have gone into hiding until the 'War On Thinking€¯ is over.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

My wife has a container of carpet cleaner with a brush dispenser that
you use to rub the foam in and then vacuum when dry. She says it works
well. You could try it on the seat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2017 1:13 AM, micky wrote:
I get conflicting stories about making additional keys for my 2005
Toyota. The Amazon page that sells keyblanks says I can't do it myself,
need a locksmith or dealer.

But googling for instructions, I found them, which I can look for and
post if it would help here. And that's pretty surprising since the
Amazon ad would sell more keyblanks if people knew they could do it
themselves, so maybe the instructions don't work.

But then by accident I find these 3 things which all look more or less
alike and cost about the same. What do they do and do I need one to make
a new key?

https://www.amazon.com/FICBOX-Vehicl...ef=pd_rhf_ee_4

https://www.amazon.com/LHZTECH-Toyot...f=pd_sbs_263_3

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Toyota-...f=pd_sbs_263_6

Here's the text for the first one:

FICBOX Vehicle OBD II OBDII OBD2 All in1 Programmer 4D CHIP and Smart
Key Maker Keymaker For Toyota Lexus

Correct identification of central locking remote controls
A safe and credible product
Only need 20 seconds to add one key without the dangerous to destroy
the anti-theft system
Note: Smart key support Toyota Lexus 4D chip which before 2008
It can be used securely for all the 4D and smart keys anti-theft system
of Toyota series without the dangerous to destroy the anti-theft system

It seems to be saying I need this to program a key, but the instructions
I copied didn't require this. OTOH, with the Sebring and the Lebaron,
it seemed that program a new key required two old keys and they had to
be reprogrammed at the same time, so maybe they could all be ruined, and
this device makes that impossible, even though this is a Toyota?

Are genuine Toyota duplicate keys so expensive you need to F around with aftermarket junk?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2017 12:58 PM, Tex wrote:

Are genuine Toyota duplicate keys so expensive you need to F around with
aftermarket junk?

Have you replaced some of the keys from the past 15 or so years? They
can be from $50 to $500. Yes, it can pay for F around and not all of it
is junk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 15:01:01 +0000 (UTC), June Bug
wrote:

Borrowed a car for a the weekend as mine went in the shop on friday.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1208002seat.jpg

Mine are all leather seats but this is a cloth seat.
I just want to clean it for my friend before I return it.
What do you use at home to clean such things?

Spray can of upholstery cleaner, allow to sit a few minutes, then
scrub with a nylon brush and vacuum with a wet/dry shop vac. Works on
auto carpets, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/24/2017 09:01 AM, June Bug wrote:
Borrowed a car for a the weekend as mine went in the shop on friday.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1208002seat.jpg

Mine are all leather seats but this is a cloth seat.
I just want to clean it for my friend before I return it.
What do you use at home to clean such things?

I recently had good luck with Tuff Stuff multipurpose foam cleaner. I'd
dripped some olive oil on the driver's seat (long story) and two
applications of the foam removed the oil and six years of general grime.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-09-24, June Bug wrote:

Mine are all leather seats but this is a cloth seat.
I just want to clean it for my friend before I return it.
What do you use at home to clean such things?

First, I would look to yer local auto parts store and ask them.
Meguiar's® makes a lotta that kinda stuff fer cars.

Second, I'd ask a "detailer" what (s)he uses. They are professionals
and you can usually find one at most any car lot, new or used. Phone
around. Meguiar's® has a pro detailer line, too, but you gotta buy a
lrgr qnty (gallon sizes).

I've used Meguiar's® brand stuff fer a lotta things. A good product.
In fact, I recently discovered Meguiar's® Hot Rims Wheel and Tire
Cleaner is the only thing that will remove old kitchen grease from my
late mom's everything.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-09-24, notbob wrote:

I've used Meguiar's® brand stuff fer a lotta things. A good product.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g9719-carpet-upholstery-cleaner/

Not sure how this will work, so ask a "detailer".

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman posted for all of us...

On 09/24/2017 09:01 AM, June Bug wrote:
Borrowed a car for a the weekend as mine went in the shop on friday.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1208002seat.jpg

Mine are all leather seats but this is a cloth seat.
I just want to clean it for my friend before I return it.
What do you use at home to clean such things?

I recently had good luck with Tuff Stuff multipurpose foam cleaner. I'd
dripped some olive oil on the driver's seat (long story) and two
applications of the foam removed the oil and six years of general grime.

Hoagie mania?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 12:49:53 PM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 9/24/17 11:01 AM, June Bug wrote:
Borrowed a car for a the weekend as mine went in the shop on friday.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1208002seat.jpg

Mine are all leather seats but this is a cloth seat.
I just want to clean it for my friend before I return it.
What do you use at home to clean such things?

Sounds like you don't know much/anything about automotive upholstery
cleaning. Think of how bad you're going to feel- and how mad your friend
will be- if your well meaning gesture ends up doing more harm than good!

Not to mention some of the dirt spots might have sentimental value to
your friend.;-)

--
Some of the greatest minds in the world are right here in America.
Sadly, they have gone into hiding until the 'War On Thinking€¯ is over.
- @KelsowFarlander

+1

If the seats are a mess, I guess cleaning them on a car you borrowed
may be OK. But there is some risk as to how it comes out. Any auto
parts store, Walmart, etc has products for cleaning auto seats.
Typically it sprays on and you can rub as much or as little with a
brush if necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/25/2017 12:12 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
rbowman posted for all of us...

On 09/24/2017 09:01 AM, June Bug wrote:
Borrowed a car for a the weekend as mine went in the shop on friday.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1208002seat.jpg

Mine are all leather seats but this is a cloth seat.
I just want to clean it for my friend before I return it.
What do you use at home to clean such things?

I recently had good luck with Tuff Stuff multipurpose foam cleaner. I'd
dripped some olive oil on the driver's seat (long story) and two
applications of the foam removed the oil and six years of general grime.

Hoagie mania?

No. I've got a hatchback and the rear seat was folded down right after I
took delivery and stays that way. To protect it somewhat I have a
plastic tarp spread over the area. That's the setting.

So I bought some stuff from CostCo including a 1 liter glass bottle of
super deluxe olive oil squeezed by Italian virgins or something. Got
home, took everything into the house but forgot the bottle of oil. Later
I remembered it but since I usually ride one of the bikes in the summer
and don't drive the car I figured it could stay there until the next
time I used the car.

Summer. Sun. Big glass window in the hatchback. Hot. The dark bottle the
oil was in probably didn't help. When I went to retrieve it I found a
shattered bottle and a liter of olive oil on the tarp. In trying to sop
it up with paper towels I managed to drip some on the seat.

Moral: just buy the cheaper olive oil in the plastic jug.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 25 Sep 2017 07:01:47p, rbowman told us...

[...]

Or maybe just remember to take the bottle in the house in the first
place. Olive oil degrades in both heat and light.

Easy for you to say... I treat a hatchback as a very small pickup truck
and it's easy to lose a 1 liter bottle amongst the bicycle, camping
gear, packs, spare boots, trekking poles, range bags, targets, archery
supplies, water bottles, and other random gear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman posted for all of us...

[...]

Does this carry thru to wine?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/26/2017 12:09 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
rbowman posted for all of us...

[...]

Don't know. My wine buying days are long past. I did favor Gallo Hearty
Burgundy in the gallon glass jug though. They were sturdy and had a
convenient carrying handle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 26 Sep 2017 07:25:41a, rbowman told us...

[...]

Having just returned from the market, I have never left a food item
in the car regardless of what else was in there. I guess you just
need to pay attention to what you're doing. :-)

Food items are part of the inventory of my car. Instant coffee, oatmeal,
Pasta Sides, energy bars, and if push really comes to shove, lifeboat
rations. I also have the mini-Trangia, a fuel bottle of alcohol, and a
backup Esbit stove just in case.

If you see me caught in massive gridlock, I'll be the guy cooking breakfast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/26/2017 10:19 PM, rbowman wrote:
Food items are part of the inventory of my car. Instant coffee, oatmeal, Pasta Sides, energy bars, and if push really comes to shove, lifeboat rations. I also have the mini-Trangia, a fuel
bottle of alcohol, and a backup Esbit stove just in case.

If you see me caught in massive gridlock, I'll be the guy cooking breakfast.

Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmOHeWrr9V4

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/27/2017 03:40 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Wed 27 Sep 2017 01:33:55a, Wally told us...

On 09/26/2017 10:19 PM, rbowman wrote:
Food items are part of the inventory of my car. Instant coffee,
oatmeal, Pasta Sides, energy bars, and if push really comes to
shove, lifeboat rations. I also have the mini-Trangia, a fuel
bottle of alcohol, and a backup Esbit stove just in case.

If you see me caught in massive gridlock, I'll be the guy cooking
breakfast.

Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmOHeWrr9V4

(I loved that conmmercial.)

I wouldn't be surprised if he does. However, the jar might explode in
the head and smear mustard all over the seat. :-)

No Grey Poupon but I probably can turn up a bottle of Sriracha. It's a
plastic bottle, btw.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression

Default JUNE BUG ASKS ABOUT STUFF LIKE "cleaning cloth seats in vehicle"

"Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote in message
news
On 9/24/2017 8:01 AM, June Bug wrote:
Borrowed a car for a the weekend as mine went in the shop on friday.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1208002seat.jpg

Mine are all leather seats but this is a cloth seat.
I just want to clean it for my friend before I return it.
What do you use at home to clean such things?

I just let my ass polish them things, darlin', my big fat ass.

don't they spray regularly?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression

On 9/27/2017 1:11 PM, David wrote:

"Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote in message
news
On 9/24/2017 8:01 AM, June Bug wrote:
Borrowed a car for a the weekend as mine went in the shop on friday.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1208002seat.jpg

Mine are all leather seats but this is a cloth seat.
I just want to clean it for my friend before I return it.
What do you use at home to clean such things?

I just let my ass polish them things, darlin', my big fat ass.

don't they spray regularly?

I'll spray you!

then don't